Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about changing cams myself

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 06:26 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by hog-doc
Forget stroke, forget TDC, forget timing marks, forget the left side of the motor exists!

Stick 2 fingers on top of the lifters for the rear cylinder, rotate the wheel and watch your fingers. Exhaust goes up and starts down as the intake starts up, if you rock the wheel back and forth the lifters will rock up and down opposite each other, at this point the FRONT cylinder is on base circle. Want proof stick your fingers on the front lifters and rock the wheel back and forth. They arent moving right? THATS base circle.

No need to make a simple job difficult!
I've been reading this stuff for years and have never seen it explained so simply. Thanks!

Old 04-10-2010, 07:49 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by stro1965
I've been reading this stuff for years and have never seen it explained so simply. Thanks!
I figured it out when I was about 14 setting valves on a small block trying to follow the whole set #1 cylinder on TDC and adjust intake valve on such and such cylinders and rotate it to #5 and adjust sucha and such exhaust vavles blah blah blah.

Base circle is base circle, no matter how you get to it just MAKE SURE your on it! The way I described above is the easiest way I've found.

2 steps, DONE!

Old 04-10-2010, 09:21 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I figured it out when I was about 14 setting valves on a small block trying to follow the whole set #1 cylinder on TDC and adjust intake valve on such and such cylinders and rotate it to #5 and adjust sucha and such exhaust vavles blah blah blah.

Base circle is base circle, no matter how you get to it just MAKE SURE your on it! The way I described above is the easiest way I've found.

2 steps, DONE!

Exactly !!!

Old 04-10-2010, 09:40 PM
WI Bob
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great tip.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:59 PM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

2 steps, DONE!
+1 best tip! Bought bunches of gaskets, o-rings, new bearings today to get ready....very timely post for me. Thanks!

Another question.....best to replace push rods or with low mileage (10.5K) is it worth it? Do not want to go cheap once in there.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:20 PM
NoKenDo
Road Master
Received 50 Likes on 17 Posts

I just did cams and big bore on my '06 S/G with 44,000 miles.
My push rods looked fine, but for $20.00 I replaced them with new.
My tensioners were less than half worn.
I upgraded to the SE cam plate with hydraulic tensioners.
Several members on this forum were very helpful.
(Thanks PhilM, atrain68, UltraKla$$ic & dawg)
Plus many others that posted their builds on the forums.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:20 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyClassic
+1 best tip! Bought bunches of gaskets, o-rings, new bearings today to get ready....very timely post for me. Thanks!

Another question.....best to replace push rods or with low mileage (10.5K) is it worth it? Do not want to go cheap once in there.
I always use adjustables. That way no matter what has been done to the top end you KNOW that the push rods are the correct length when installed properly.