Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does the klock werks windshield solve the buffiting on the Street Glide?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 12:11 PM
staudy
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JCleary
Sorry to hear you had to "take some heat" for complaining of buffeting on your SG.

In my opinion, most that don't complain, or get defensive have not ever ridden a bike with good wind management. No HD falls in to that category. Even Ultra Classics have crappy wind management. There's too much air updraft coming from below the batwing and above the lowers.

The KW 6.5" shield did help my SG some, but what made an equal difference was the $12 wind deflector that goes between the fork legs. You can also choose the chrome one for $25. I also added the adjustable wind deflectors.

Even with all that, as soon as I switched to a Road Glide seat, the buffeting was unbearable. I'm 5'10" with a 30" inseam, and the seat raised me right in to the turbulent zone.

I have given up wearing a full-face helmet. My vision just gets to blurry. I now use a DOT 1/2 helmet which seems to work a lot better for me.

My final solution for wind management (after trying 4 windshields, including a SE Ultra shield which I have for sale and works well) was to install a 8" Windvest windshield. It's similar to a Clearview with Recurve, Long Ride Shield flip-up, whatever. The Windvest, adjustable wings and fork wind deflector have combined to make the buffeting tolerable for me at any speed. Yes, there's a little turbulence, but it doesn't blur my vision or rattle my teeth.

I think a 8.5" KW shield would accomplish the same, plus make the front end feel more stable (like my 6.5" did) but I didn't want to spend the money, and I do not like the look. I think the LRS shields have a better shape (at least up to 8").

My pre-coffee $0.02...
You mentioned the $12 wind deflecter or $25 chrome one that goes between the forks..Is this a OEM accessory? Harley sells a pair of chrome wings that mount on the forks for around 60 bucks. Where do I find the ones that you mentioned..I already have a 2010 that comes with the Adjustable bat wings.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:23 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

I test drove my neighbors SG cuz they dont do testdrives here and I didnt buy one because of how bad the wind was and Im 5-8"-9" opting fr a RK which I never regreted. I dont need music but aways thought the SG looked sweet...wind took care of that for me.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:46 PM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by JCleary
Sorry to hear you had to "take some heat" for complaining of buffeting on your SG.

In my opinion, most that don't complain, or get defensive have not ever ridden a bike with good wind management. No HD falls in to that category. Even Ultra Classics have crappy wind management. There's too much air updraft coming from below the batwing and above the lowers.

The KW 6.5" shield did help my SG some, but what made an equal difference was the $12 wind deflector that goes between the fork legs. You can also choose the chrome one for $25. I also added the adjustable wind deflectors.

Even with all that, as soon as I switched to a Road Glide seat, the buffeting was unbearable. I'm 5'10" with a 30" inseam, and the seat raised me right in to the turbulent zone.

I have given up wearing a full-face helmet. My vision just gets to blurry. I now use a DOT 1/2 helmet which seems to work a lot better for me.

My final solution for wind management (after trying 4 windshields, including a SE Ultra shield which I have for sale and works well) was to install a 8" Windvest windshield. It's similar to a Clearview with Recurve, Long Ride Shield flip-up, whatever. The Windvest, adjustable wings and fork wind deflector have combined to make the buffeting tolerable for me at any speed. Yes, there's a little turbulence, but it doesn't blur my vision or rattle my teeth.

I think a 8.5" KW shield would accomplish the same, plus make the front end feel more stable (like my 6.5" did) but I didn't want to spend the money, and I do not like the look. I think the LRS shields have a better shape (at least up to 8").

My pre-coffee $0.02...
I've gone back to using the stock shield. The two-step solution to buffeting for me was the ashtray deflector and some eBay fork deflectors. Any windshield works fine, pretty smooth air with no updraft any more. Works great full face or 1/2 helmet. Here's an old pic with the Wind Vest:

Name:  DSC01385.jpg
Views: 7105
Size:  265.8 KB

Here's the bike as it sits now (although I have the stock 4" shield on it):

Name:  DSC01554.jpg
Views: 8215
Size:  202.5 KB

Old 12-21-2011, 12:54 PM
11glide103
Tourer

I have the same issue, bought the 7" Harley Windsplitter. Absolute waste of $140.00, not really any betetr than stock. Puts the wind right in my eyes. Buffeting seems worse to me. Looking for a better solution, currently have the stock back on.

Originally Posted by racerdj
I have taken some heat for complaining about the wind buffiting with the OEM windshield on the Street Glide. I really enjoy the Road King without the windshield and ride 75% without it. I love the wind but dislike the turbulance that I get (my height 6-0) on the Street Glide. My dealer says that the klock werks windshield will solve the turbulance. Is this true?.......Will this take away the wind effect totally?

Old 12-21-2011, 01:36 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

This is just my opinion after riding with a Klockwerks shield for a few miles: you may as well keep the stock 4" shield that come with the SG because you will get the same result but you will save a lot of cash.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:36 PM
DMC1
Cruiser

When I bought my 2012 SG I thought I had made a bad mistake. The buffeting was so bad I even considered trading it for a Road King. I decided to fix the problem. I tried different windshields until I came across the LRS stealth. I bought the shortest one, I think it is an 8 inch model. I tried different helmets. Any helmet with a bill would shake so bad I would get a headache. I finally got a half helmet which helped. I also bought an extreme mod seat from Mean City Cycles which helped a lot as it got me lower behind the fairing. After adding the seat I sat low and I was looking right through the top edge of the shield going up hills. I finally cut 1.5 inches off of the bottom of the LRS shield. I still get a little buffeting but I keep tweaking the buffeting out. As for now the SG stays.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:23 PM
Gary H
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 6'2" and I bought the 8.5" after trying all the ones the dealer had on display other than the 10.5 which he didn't have. The wind just goes over the top of my helmet and I love it. Wind buffeting when speaking of a batwing fairing bike was always described to me as the effect that the wind had on the steering. I believe I notice less with this windshield than the factory one. If you are speaking of the wind that comes over the top, in my opinion, the Klockwerks works, but I had to get taller than the 6.5". That one hits me right in the face.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:24 AM
coolerman69
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Buffeting comes from UNDERNEATH the faring! You can spend thousands buying every shield on the market and not solve your problem. For you SG guys, buy some un adjustable deflectors for the faring, some lower farings, and if that isn't good enough get the ugly fork deflectors. I never used them but my buddy swears by them. First mod he makes. I am 6' and run a 4" homemade windshield. If you will buy yourself some GOOD fitting goggles you will be AMAZED how you forget about the buffeting. Trust me and try it! BTW by good goggles i didn't necessarily mean expensive. They have to fit your face. For me HD goggles suck, flea market finds for $5 work great.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:10 AM
mikebaby
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by racerdj
I have taken some heat for complaining about the wind buffiting with the OEM windshield on the Street Glide. I really enjoy the Road King without the windshield and ride 75% without it. I love the wind but dislike the turbulance that I get (my height 6-0) on the Street Glide. My dealer says that the klock werks windshield will solve the turbulance. Is this true?.......Will this take away the wind effect totally?
IMO a large amount of the buffeting comes from below the fairing. For me a 8" recurve shield and LRS Hogwings corrected much of it for me. A full face helmet still seems to get more wind than my half lid, but it only gets used when it's really cold outside or on an extended trip where I may hit rain.

mikebaby

Old 04-23-2016, 02:28 PM
ricaldrich@gmail.com
Stage I
Default Windshield Klock Werks or other wise

I like the look of the Klock Werks 3.5 windshield I am getting an 2010 Ultra Classic. I would like to put the short windshield on it because it looks great. I ride an 08 Sportster right now. Wouldn't the wind be about the same on the Glide as it is on my Sportster? Or is the faring pushing the wind around in a different way than just a bike with no faring at all.

Quick Reply: Does the klock werks windshield solve the buffiting on the Street Glide?