Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07' Transmission Noise - Whining 5th gear??

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006 | 11:09 AM
harley51
|
Intermediate
Default 07' Transmission Noise - Whining 5th gear??

I'm about to purchase an 07' Road King and keep hearing discussions/complaints about the 5th gear, in the 6 speed tansmissions, being noisier than what we're used to in the 5 speeds.

What is the general consensus for all of you 07' owners. Is it a problem? Have your dealers offered any insight? Do they say it's normal - go ride it! Perhaps, we're just sensitive to the new sounds of the 96 engine and transmission.

Here's my concern. My last new Harley was a 99' RKC with the, then new TC88. Unfortunatley, my TC88 was one of the first to experience the pinion gear problem. It was replaced and all was well, however, I'm now a little gun shy to get out there and have another issue, perhaps with the 6 spd transmission.

I know I will hear most of you say "just buy it and ride it". You just hate to spend $$$$$ and end with the bike in the shop. It tends to take the excitement out of it!

Opinions.....

Old 08-07-2006 | 11:17 AM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: 07' Transmission Noise - Whining 5th gear??

My advice is that, if you've got a 99 RKC, just buy it and ride it.... in '08. The MoCo has a habit, as I've said earlier, of being better after some feedback and time. Your pinion issue is a good example. I can think of the early Fuel Injection and the trouble with the tranny's last year.

I want to spend my summer in New Hope, not Long Branch Harley Davidson. I let others pay the '07 premium and be the ginny pigs.

Old 08-07-2006 | 11:39 AM
harley51
|
Intermediate

Unfortunately, I sold my 99 RKC three months ago and have been without a ride since. It's tough, however, if I have to wait a couple of more months to see how this transmission (real or percieved) issue pans out, I may do so.

I live in Florida so this isn't the ideal riding season (hot, humid and raining every afternoon). That said, in Oct/Noc - I've got to have a bike, it's way too nice to be on the sidleline at that time.

Old 08-07-2006 | 11:58 AM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master

I also have an '06 35th Anniversary SG along with the RG. The 5th gear doesn't whine in the SG.......and I've seen the same posts you have. Surprised me to see the complaints. If it was me, I'd sit on the sidelines for awhile and see how this new drivetrain shakes out. Hoping for the best.....I'd like to replace the '04 RG in '08.

Old 08-07-2006 | 12:12 PM
schultz
Tourer

Hell 4th on my 06 has a slight whine at a certain speed/rpm. It is not bad but you notice it about 9000 on it now. I put Bel-ray oil in it and it quieted it down better than HD oil. Now I have Amsoil 75W140 in it and it is a little quieter and shifts a little smoother. The Belray was a big improvement on HD oil and Amsoil has is a little better so I'm sticking with it. Have not tryed Redline yet and don't know if I will. The 05 Road King Custom did not have this noise or I just hear it more on this one. If the 07 or suppose to be quieter maybe this is why ya hear it.

Old 08-07-2006 | 12:17 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member

It's just because for some reason, the all new 6 speed has only 5 of the new style cut gears, 5th is cut the same as all previous years, why? I dont know this info came from a HD manager that attended the factory dealers meeting, I would think you may hear it more because these use a lighter lube much like auto transmission fluid.

Old 08-07-2006 | 12:25 PM
propkillr
Intermediate

i have an 07 fhlt that has that 5th gear sound. from 45 to 60 it starts but goes away the faster i go until i change into 6th. the further past 45mph the better it sounds. i think it's normal. like someone else wrote earlier when i questioned it, " it lets you know your in 5th."
so far i've put 1000 miles on it an will be doing my 1000mile check up soon. ill get back on the check up.

Old 08-07-2006 | 12:31 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member

Its always funny when a new something comes along, takes getting use to is all, everything has a few different sounds as what we are use to, hey you get to trade all that dang valve train noise for a 5th gear noise.

Old 08-07-2006 | 12:41 PM
lottinala
Tourer

well i guess it wont be a problem for me beings im moving from a honda to a harley i wont notice the sound but i will say im getting pretty excited about the new bike, supose to be here the 24th and cant wait.

Old 08-07-2006 | 03:04 PM
WhiteKnuckle
Cruiser

On my '07 Ultra, 5th and 6th are both noisy. I was pretty concerned about it until I took the lowers off the bike and rode it without them for a bit - the noise didn't go away, but it was a lot less pronounced. I'm going to get the bike to 1000 miles and have them change to synthetic, and see how it goes. It's not a big deal to me, although it's really too noisy for a $22,000 bike.

A few things to consider:
(1) It sounds like more Ultra guys are complaining than others - if that's the case, it's because the lowers reflect the noise back to the rider;
(2) I don't think very many people are putting aftermarket pipes on '07s yet because the ECM maps aren't out yet. Quieter pipes = the impression that the engine is noisier;
(3) Top end noise seems lower on the 96" engines, which would make other noises seem worse.

My guess is it's more perception than an actual mechanical problem, but we'll see.

Quick Reply: 07' Transmission Noise - Whining 5th gear??