Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07' Transmission Noise - Whining 5th gear??

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006 | 12:47 AM
trebin
Cruiser
Default RE: 07' Transmission Noise - Whining 5th gear??

07 Ultra Classic.....5th is a little noisey but I'm never in it for long!! Love the 6 speed!!! 800 miles and growing everyday!!...Tim

Old 08-11-2006 | 01:42 AM
skid jackson
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: WhiteKnuckle

Noise or not, IMO the 6 speed is the way to go. My bike has the kind of long-legged, loping down the highway feel that Harleys always SHOULD have had. 2400 RPM at 70 MPH. Say no more.

I agree!! Did a little highway run last night and noticed how nice it purred along at 72mph.
Me likey!!

Old 08-13-2006 | 03:14 PM
Toad
Intermediate

I just talked with the HD dealer, and asked about the oil filter/oil. They said the 96 in takes the same filter as the 88, and the same oil. I then asked if it was ok to use the 20-50 in all three areas, and the answer was yes. They said the engine hasnt changed just the cc.
I hope this helps. I am thinking about some Redline....that might stop most noise. They said Redline was ok after break in!

Old 08-13-2006 | 03:16 PM
Toad
Intermediate

It lets you know your in 5th, so you can go faster.

Old 08-13-2006 | 09:28 PM
drichards
Cruiser

I was riding a Victory when I got my 07 ultra last week. This is my first Harley so I can't compare but I can say I havn't noticed any strang noises from the tranny. If it were making any I think I would know. I'm running stock and I feel like I'm in stealth mode. I can carry on a conversation with my wife without raising my voice (Get me some pipes,quick). If the sound coming from tranny is "the noise" then I'm happy with it. I love my Vic Kingpin (runs like a scalded dog) but with stock pipes it sounds like a sewing machine running wide open inside a sherman tank. I think that is why most of the dealers price them with a stage one kit installed before they ever leave.

The HEAT on the other hand is a whole other issue. My God I'm thinking of coming out with a new line of asbestos chaps just for us ultra riders. Other than that I can't find anything wrong with this ride. I just came back from a 700+ mile weekend outing and my body has never felt this good climbing off of my Kingpin.

Old 08-13-2006 | 10:22 PM
WhiteKnuckle
Cruiser

The HEAT on the other hand is a whole other issue. My God I'm thinking of coming out with a new line of asbestos chaps just for us ultra riders.
You might consider taking the lowers off in the summer if you live somewhere that's really hot. The difference in temp without the lowers is amazing. Generally, ANY bike with fairing lowers is going to be really hot on the legs. At least the Ultra lowers are easy to remove and reinstall.

Old 08-14-2006 | 12:28 AM
drichards
Cruiser

Does it really make a difference when sitting still? I don't notice any heat at 20mph or faster with the vents open. But, when I stop for more than a couple of minutes, the heat from the crossover pipe starts making my thighs smell like fried bologna. I installed the "no more fried thighs" heat sheilds and they help somewhat but I think 5 minutes of standing still would force me off of the bike. (I always wear at least jeans and most times chaps. I can't imagine owners th
[quote]ORIGINAL: WhiteKnuckle

Old 08-16-2006 | 11:03 AM
Old number 7
Stage II

I also have had nothing but good times on my 07 so far.....2,000 miles and climbing. I found a outlet for slip ons - $125 and no remapping required.....They sound great, and the dealer agreed that remapping was not required unless I changed my air intake also. They are on e-bay and are called "Smooth Bore" exhaust, everyone I talked with have had nothing but good things to say about them........So far they look and sound great......

See ya,

Old 08-16-2006 | 11:52 AM
bucs012
Road Master

I ran a search on ebay for Smooth BOre and could not find anything...............Help.

Old 08-16-2006 | 01:29 PM
Old number 7
Stage II

Try this - gmr6402 or (smoothboremufflers@hotmail.com)
Let me know if you still have problems finding them.....
See ya,

Quick Reply: 07' Transmission Noise - Whining 5th gear??