Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07' Transmission Noise - Whining 5th gear??

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006 | 10:21 PM
PrplRdKing
Advanced
Default RE: 07' Transmission Noise - Whining 5th gear??

I got my bike Tuesday and have 900 miles already. I don't notice any issues with noise from the tranny. However I keep looking for Astro because the bike sounds like George Jetson's car with stock pipes. I also notice a slight rise in power with the new engine.

Old 08-07-2006 | 10:25 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin
Veteran: Army

I have a 2007 EG Classic with almost 1000 miles on it. Took a 300 mile trip this weekend up through Door County in Wisconsin (the thumb). Was with my club on mostly 2 lane roads so I spent a lot of time in 5th gear. Didn't really notice any extra noise. I am getting a high pitched squeal from the rear brake though. It goes in for the 1000 mile check next week so I'll have them check that out. Also the exposed exhaust pipe by the right foot board is very dark gold color. Not sure if that's good or bad.

Old 08-08-2006 | 01:48 AM
waltr
Cruiser

I have 1,100 mile on my Ultra and gear noise is minor, comes and goes and seems to be getting quieter. Changed all fluids at 500 miles with all Castrol and will do again with Mobil Synthetic in a few days prepping for a 8 day trip through Vermont, NH, Maine, Mass. I cant wait. I purchaed a pair of Supertrapp slash cut slip ons with the deal and I am beta testing a new Techlusion Box Chris Sanders the shop forman at Rockville H-D programmed for the '07's. He said to not play with the setting he set up but being the tinkerer I am I have leaned out the idle/cruise and part throttle accel just a tad and runs much cleaner and sharper. The system works great, not real loud but pulls real strong and very smooth. Running 14 discs on rt side and 10 on the left.

Old 08-08-2006 | 06:28 AM
Capt.Bob
Tourer

I am a first time Harley owner. My other road bike is Valkyrie Interstate so I can tell you about tranny noise. My 07 FF Ultra does make a different noise in 5th gear but it is not that bothersome if you keep it above 2000 rpm. I don't think it will be a problem down the road either. I think it shares a common problem with all straight cut gear transmissions. They are stronger but louder. I believe synthetic oil will help. I am still having to learn to cope with a lot more heat off of the engine and a lot less available power to worry about something that might have to be fixed under warranty. I say getcha one if ya want it.
http://bobbyhill.home.att.net

Old 08-08-2006 | 10:03 AM
bucs012
Road Master

Prplrdking- I had to laugh about your Jetson example to the stock pipes. HA! It's about right.

Izzo- Ya I noticed that exposed (gold/brown/blue) pipe too on the right side. That alone is enough for me to buy true duals when they come out.......Harley has a shield you can buy to cover it up of course. Why don't they just come stock with them on? Nobody needs to answer that. $$$$$

Old 08-08-2006 | 10:42 AM
WhiteKnuckle
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: skid jackson

07 flht only about 200 to 300 miles Still getting to know the bike. Just noticed that noisey fifth gear. Coming from the world of performance dirtbikes .... Can't say i'm terribly impressed with the power of the motor. It goes down the road ok but no snapping your head back. However i don't have anything to compare it too. Besides i didn't buy it to go fast on.

Oh yeah ... than there is that nosiey *** front brake disk!!

Coming from outside the brand ... For 16K ... I don't know, but seems like some decent brakes shouldn't be too hard on the bottom line.
What kind of dirt bike do you have? That's my main motorcycle focus, too - the Harleys are great because it's so much more relaxing and peaceful to ride them compared to motocross. And you're right, the HD performance isn't awe-inspiring, but then the bike wasn't built to be a performance bike. I used to have a Buell XB12R, and that was a very fast bike. I've never ridden a VRod, but I understand they're fast, too.

Old 08-08-2006 | 02:37 PM
VROCK SE
Cruiser

The VROD is Scary Fast! 90 MPH in second gear! 115 MPH in Third!
ORIGINAL: WhiteKnuckle

ORIGINAL: skid jackson

07 flht only about 200 to 300 miles Still getting to know the bike. Just noticed that noisey fifth gear. Coming from the world of performance dirtbikes .... Can't say i'm terribly impressed with the power of the motor. It goes down the road ok but no snapping your head back. However i don't have anything to compare it too. Besides i didn't buy it to go fast on.

Oh yeah ... than there is that nosiey *** front brake disk!!

Coming from outside the brand ... For 16K ... I don't know, but seems like some decent brakes shouldn't be too hard on the bottom line.
What kind of dirt bike do you have? That's my main motorcycle focus, too - the Harleys are great because it's so much more relaxing and peaceful to ride them compared to motocross. And you're right, the HD performance isn't awe-inspiring, but then the bike wasn't built to be a performance bike. I used to have a Buell XB12R, and that was a very fast bike. I've never ridden a VRod, but I understand they're fast, too.

Old 08-09-2006 | 08:40 AM
Capt.Bob
Tourer

Thats about what my little CBR600 F4i will do.

Old 08-09-2006 | 09:01 AM
WhiteKnuckle
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Capt.Bob

Thats about what my little CBR600 F4i will do.
All sportbikes are fast. They're frantic, stiff, ridiculously uncomfortable, hot in summer and cold in winter, buzzy and dangerous, but at least they're fast.

Old 08-09-2006 | 11:09 PM
chriscalabro
Cruiser

Ok here is the deal. 1 & 5 are spur gears. That means that the gear teeth are straight and when they mesh against the mating gear the slap the way a baseball card does on a bike spoke. Noise is the result. gears 2-3-4-6 are helicals. These gears have curved teeth. When they engage the teeth mesh at one end of the curve and ride down the curve as the gear rotates. This is significantly quieter than spurs. The engine is also significantly quieter than previous years. That contributes to the spur gear being more noticeable. If you have a cowling or windshield the noise will be even more noticeable as you don't have road noise or wind noise drowning it out.

Bottomline: The 6 speed is sweet, 5 is noisy, and the only solution would be to convert that to a helical, which I suspect is not practical due to space considerations.

Stock pipes are also ok..though a little louder would be nice

Quick Reply: 07' Transmission Noise - Whining 5th gear??