Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07' Transmission Noise - Whining 5th gear??

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006 | 05:19 PM
VROCK SE
Cruiser
Default RE: 07' Transmission Noise - Whining 5th gear??

Well,
People could be looking for a problem , when there is none there. BUT , With 700 new parts in the Engine/Tranny?? And The HD track record, I thik I will wait a few years before I have a 07 or later.
My 06 ultra does just fine! Last of the 88's With almost as much HP as their new 96"
Something is wrong with that picture.

Old 08-07-2006 | 05:21 PM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master

ORIGINAL: WhiteKnuckle

On my '07 Ultra, 5th and 6th are both noisy. I was pretty concerned about it until I took the lowers off the bike and rode it without them for a bit - the noise didn't go away, but it was a lot less pronounced. I'm going to get the bike to 1000 miles and have them change to synthetic, and see how it goes. It's not a big deal to me, although it's really too noisy for a $22,000 bike.

A few things to consider:
(1) It sounds like more Ultra guys are complaining than others - if that's the case, it's because the lowers reflect the noise back to the rider;
(2) I don't think very many people are putting aftermarket pipes on '07s yet because the ECM maps aren't out yet. Quieter pipes = the impression that the engine is noisier;
(3) Top end noise seems lower on the 96" engines, which would make other noises seem worse.

My guess is it's more perception than an actual mechanical problem, but we'll see.
#2: I wonder if there WILL be any mapping from the MoCo. They seem to be taking a pretty hard stance on meeting EPA db levels. Some other writer on this forum said his stock mufflers seemed to be getting a bit deeper with the miles.

Old 08-07-2006 | 05:23 PM
WhiteKnuckle
Cruiser

I wouldn't have bought a '07 Ultra just for the 96 and 6 speed, but I was going from a Low Rider to a touring bike that my wife and I could both ride. Having gotten the '07, though, I'll say the 96 and 6 speed is very, very nice. Low RPM on the highway, very long-legged engine - it just feels like it's idling down the road at 75. Reliability? I don't know, but I'm expecting Harley to fix it if it breaks...

Old 08-07-2006 | 05:26 PM
WhiteKnuckle
Cruiser

Yeah, I keep hearing that, too. I'm hearing outrageous prices for pipe changes on '07s. I actually don't think I'm going to change mine, anyway, but when I hear dealers - and more than one - saying $1200 for SE slip-on conversions including ECM mapping, I think...What the...

Old 08-07-2006 | 07:06 PM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master

ORIGINAL: WhiteKnuckle

Yeah, I keep hearing that, too. I'm hearing outrageous prices for pipe changes on '07s. I actually don't think I'm going to change mine, anyway, but when I hear dealers - and more than one - saying $1200 for SE slip-on conversions including ECM mapping, I think...What the...
And what do you get for $1200.00? A slightly deeper exhaust note and maybe 5 lbs. more torque? Why bother? I think they don't want us messing with the stock configuration anymore by making changes prohibitively expensive for the small result. I guess we can't blame HD, but the EPA has us all by the short ones.

Old 08-07-2006 | 07:11 PM
WhiteKnuckle
Cruiser

Well, my '04 Low Rider seemed to run better with SE slip-ons than either the stock pipes or V&H Straight Shots, and I loved the sound, but I'm not going to spend no stikin' $1200 on them. I like the stock pipes just fine - and the '07s really do sound better than previous stockers did.

If we were talking $600, I'd probably go for that, but for $1200 they can keep 'em.

Old 08-07-2006 | 07:23 PM
bucs012
Road Master

Actually I would say on my 07 RG that 4th gear is the loudest......But it doesn't bother me at all. To tell ya the truth I just figured all of them did it but my other bikes don't have stock pipes so I can't hear them. HA! My RG still has stock pipes so I hear everything.

Tranny- 70 mph in 5th gear is 3,000 rpm's. 6th gear is 80 mph at 3,000 rpm's. Don't care to go much faster then that but it's so dang smooth and quiet I have to watch it. I think I'm doing 60 and I'm doing 70+!

The pipes have a little low end rumble to them but I want more. They are still VERY quite. Going 55 mph or faster on the hiway and I can't hear the pipes at all. Just wind noise and very little at that.

Have already talked to Harley Dealers who have packages to put on slip ons the 07. A whole great piple line is coming out from what I have heard! Some from this board and others from the Harley Board.

Old 08-07-2006 | 09:14 PM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master

Let's hope the pipeline gets moving. Keep us informed as you rack-up the miles on your '07. Problems, heat, etc. IF any. I hope it stays out of the service bay.

Old 08-07-2006 | 09:32 PM
1goindiesel
Road Master

Do the 07's run a Jims designed tranny? If so it should be a very sturdy unit even if a bit noisy. The units HD sold aftermarket last few years were of Jims design.

Old 08-07-2006 | 10:18 PM
skid jackson
Cruiser

07 flht only about 200 to 300 miles Still getting to know the bike. Just noticed that noisey fifth gear. Coming from the world of performance dirtbikes .... Can't say i'm terribly impressed with the power of the motor. It goes down the road ok but no snapping your head back. However i don't have anything to compare it too. Besides i didn't buy it to go fast on.

Oh yeah ... than there is that nosiey *** front brake disk!!

Coming from outside the brand ... For 16K ... I don't know, but seems like some decent brakes shouldn't be too hard on the bottom line.

Quick Reply: 07' Transmission Noise - Whining 5th gear??