Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear E3 cupping

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 10:49 PM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cuda67bnl
Tried to get a new rear tire put on today, but they were booked for the day. They were closing early today, and they're closed tomorrow, til next week. Headed out with the wife on Friday for a 4 day get-away, and looks like I'll have to wait til I get back from the trip. Kinda sucks too. It's getting smooth in the center of the tire, and the edges are cupping. You can feel it when riding solo, especially in the turns. Actually feels better when two-up, so hopefully it'll ride okay while we're gone. Got about 8 or 9 thousand miles on the set, and the front still looks great. Will definitely be getting a new one next week.

Anyone else had an issue with their E3's cupping on the rear?
That looks a lot like the rear one on my '01 Ultra although my edges aren't cupping yet. I too only got about 7 to 8 thousand miles out of my rear tire and I keep an eye on tire pressure. I think I'm going to go back with the old D-402. I know folks say they don't stick or corner as well, but they last longer and I've never had problems with them like the sidewall cracks in the Metzlers I had.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:12 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not an engineer so maybe this will help a little.

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/info...q.asp?id=9#faq

Old 07-05-2010, 11:32 PM
Dustball
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, I don't get anywhere near the miles you guys seems to get on rear tires. If I get over 8K on a rear tire -- regardless of brand -- I really did something!

Old 07-05-2010, 11:41 PM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dustball
Man, I don't get anywhere near the miles you guys seems to get on rear tires. If I get over 8K on a rear tire -- regardless of brand -- I really did something!
In addition to riding style and habits, a lot of tire life has to do with things you have no control over such as road condition and surfaces.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:03 AM
easy4me
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire cupping

For the life of me, I can't understand why we get so few miles out of our motorcycle tires. With todays technology and materials, the tires should be lots better than they are. Of course the manufactures are making big profits and the dealers can keep steady employment for the guy in the back changing tires. Of all the tires I have had on motorcycles over the past 30+ years this is the first for a cupped rear and if my new E3 cups I think it shows a problem in the tire itself. Would like to know what pressure folks are using to get the best mileage, I run 38f/42r.

Last edited by easy4me; 07-06-2010 at 08:07 AM. Reason: omission
Old 07-06-2010, 08:24 AM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by easy4me
what pressure folks are using to get the best mileage, I run 38f/42r.
I run 42 up front and 44 in the rear. I know it's a tad higher than recommended but it's what someone on the forum suggested for me. And after seeing the picture from the original poster, I can see that my rear is wearing in line with the others.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:42 AM
Mark
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I've heard and read was great things about Elite 3's. I ordered Front and rear (elite 3's) yesterday from Jake Wilson and an hour later I see this post. Oh well.......

Old 07-06-2010, 11:51 AM
cuda67bnl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by easy4me
Would like to know what pressure folks are using to get the best mileage, I run 38f/42r.

I ran 38 in the tire in the original post, as that is what my tire guy told me to run. When I bought the 2nd one, he told me to run 40 in it. I don't think this one is gonna get any better mileage than the first one. My front tire still looks great though.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:06 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Paniolo
I too only got about 7 to 8 thousand miles out of my rear tire and I keep an eye on tire pressure. I think I'm going to go back with the old D-402. I know folks say they don't stick or corner as well, but they last longer and I've never had problems with them like the sidewall cracks in the Metzlers I had.
You're the first person I can recall that's reported less mileage out of an E3 rear compared to a D402, as well as the first that's going back to the D402's. My mileage doubled from 10k on the first two D402's to 20k for the first E3 rear. My riding habits or conditions didn't change at all and I can only assume the increased mileage was from changing to the E3.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:15 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,063 Likes on 3,630 Posts

I got better mileage by about 3500 miles than any other tires...I really need to change my riding habits...Cupping was pretty bad and i ran 42psi on rear...front is still perfect...

Quick Reply: rear E3 cupping