Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Misinformed on 103 Build and Cams....

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 03:15 PM
09StreetGlider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Misinformed on 103 Build and Cams....

Well...it's been about 1 1/2 years since I picked up my 09 SG. When I found it on the showroom floor it already had the 103 kit installed by the dealer. At the time I wasn't looking to trade, but the numbers worked so I did it. In the process, I forgot to ask if it was a stage 1 (stock cams) or stage 2 (SE-255 cams). When checking on exhaust/tuner upgrades I called the dealer I got it from (San Antonio...1/2 way across the country) and asked the service manager if he could tell me if it was stage 1 or 2. He said stage 1. I have always kept it in the back of my mind since then that my next upgrade after exhaust/tuner would be a set of cams. I ended up getting a PCV with autotune and Jackpot mufflers from fuelmoto and was very happy. Since I had a stage 1 103 motor, Jamie sent me the closest map he had and since I had autotune it would do the rest.

After installing the PCV the map didn't seem quite perfect so I let the autotune do it's thing. I have tried higher AFR's for MPG's as well as lower for power and have had good results with the autotune making the required map adjustments.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago...scored a pristine set of used SE-255 cams with 500 miles on them and started putting all the other parts/tools together. I was talking with the parts guy at my local dealership about it. Told him my last dyno numbers and he didn't believe my TQ number from a stage 1 103. Said I had to have a stage 2 already. That's the second time I've been told that...first by the guy running the dyno the last time I got an evaluation run.

Today, out of pure paranoia I decided to check it out and see exactly what parts were installed in my bike. Went to another dealer on my way to a ride and had their service manager look my VIN up in HD Net. Because my mods were performed prior to delivery and are covered by the factory warranty...all the parts used were listed. Low and behold it read ... part number 27564-09, which is a stage 2 103 with the SE-255 cams.

Unfortunately 27564-09 also includes 66855-09 head pipe, which is the catalyst head pipe from the 09 CVO line. Son of a bitch....no wonder the dyno guy couldn't get the sniffer all the way up the head pipe. No wonder even with the PCV and Oil Cooler my oil temp hit 235 today in 87 degree OAT. I have been deployed for the better part of the last 2 summers, so most of my riding has been in cool to cold weather....and I had been managing my oil temps pretty well with AFR adjustments on the PCV until today.

Well, good news and bad news I guess. I have a set of pristine SE-255 cams that I'm putting up for sale soon. Canceled my order for all the other parts. I'm keeping my Beatty cam bearing removal/install tool in case I want to do something in the future. AND I spoke with Keith at Fuelmoto today, and he will be sending me their new 2-1-2 headpipe when they get them back in stock. He's also sending me the correct basemap so my base tune will be a lot closer to where it should be. Thank You Fuelmoto for your outstanding customer service and your lifetime map support. You saved my a$$.

Bummer though...cause I was really looking forward to doing my first cam job.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:55 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

That sounds like good news for you to me.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:13 PM
09StreetGlider
Road Master

At first thought, yes.

Cam upgrade was going to cost just shy of 400 including tools and SE tapered adjustable pushrods.

New headpipe cost just shy of 500 plus gaskets and clamps.

I will see much lower temps and will probably see the same gains I expected to see from the cams due to getting rid of the cat. Just can't believe I didn't look into it sooner.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:14 PM
Johan96
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You are more than welcome to Norway to put those cams in my 09 sg :-) I`ll keep the beer

Old 04-07-2010, 04:21 PM
ryanl
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Eh, sounds like mostly good news... HOLY CHIT, 235 thats unreal... Its been warm here in New Bern but not that warm, lol. New pipe and a retune will be cheaper than cam swap and a retune, like you said should see a decent gain as well.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:24 PM
09StreetGlider
Road Master

Originally Posted by ryanl
Eh, sounds like mostly good news... HOLY CHIT, 235 thats unreal... Its been warm here in New Bern but not that warm, lol. New pipe and a retune will be cheaper than cam swap and a retune, like you said should see a decent gain as well.
Not quite...when you do your own work. Like I said...in my case it's about 100 more to get the pipe I want instead of getting the cams I already have

Oh well, at least I've figured out my problem and a fix is under way.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:36 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 212 Posts

I had a similiar experience when I bought my 08 SG with the 103" kit already installed. The bike was priced well above MSRP, of course and I demanded to know the part numbers for all the upgrades. The 103" motor was most, but they had also put a chrome front end on it and V&H true duals with ovals.

It was like pulling eye teeth, but once I got the part number list, it added up to MSRP plus some. They said the plus some was for labor. I told them the labor was on them, I didn't tell them to do the work, they took the labor off the price. Then we were down to MSRP for bike and parts.

I asked them where my take of parts where. They said I didn't get them, I said I am not interested in paying full MSRP for upgrades if I wasn't going to get my take off parts. They asked me why I wanted them and I said for the same reason you do. To get whatever I can get for them.

Price came down again. My heritage was in the service bay awaiting a motor upgrade. I told them to sit tight while I thought about it. I went back the next day to tell them I would make the trade, but I wanted to take some things off my old bike before I did. They said I couldn't take anything off the bike that I hadn't asked for the day before, because they had already sold my 05 heritage. I laughed and said this is going to get interesting because you sold a bike that I haven't signed the title over to you yet.

They asked again what they could do to make the trade and I told them to put all the options I wanted on the bike, which added up to another $1,000 or so. They said "no way" so I said I'll just load my heritage back up. You won't do the motor upgrade and we aren't trading either...........

They decided then that it would be ok. I left thinking I had really gotten a good deal. Then I found out that my new SG was the first TBW upgrade they had ever done and none of the techs there had a clue how to tune it. I had to take it to a dealer out of state to get a good tune.

I joined this forum AFTER I made this deal. If I would've joined before, I would've saved alot of money and had a better build for the buck. Bottom line is, I will never buy another bike with upgrades already done unless they are upgrades I truly wanted at a price at or below what I could do after the purchase.

Still sounds like you came out ok. Enjoy the ride in good weather this year.

Dennis

Old 04-07-2010, 04:44 PM
09StreetGlider
Road Master

Rochkes...

Exact same thing happened to me. I wasn't smart enough at the time to do the math and they had me by the ***** on time to do the deal. I had to drive back to the east coast in a couple days.

I didn't get the take-offs, but I did strip my trade clean in the parking lot. Luckily my sister-in-law was following the bikes in her car so we had room for it all.

I joined after that deal too, wish it had been before as I might have gotten more for my money. On the other hand, I probably would have spent more money and went ***** out.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:59 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 212 Posts

Yeah, I always talk about all the money I could've saved if I would've joined this forum first, but the reality is I would've built alot more hp and tq for less money, but the I would've had to have a clutch upgrade, ripped a few belts, burned lots more tires than I already do................

Glad I am here now, but probably came out about even dollarwise if I would've known then what I know now, but my bike would shread more pavement...........

Dennis

Old 04-07-2010, 05:04 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

I would think that if 2 dyno guys told me my bike makes the numbers of a st2 with cams I woulda investigated a little more before investing in parts and tools.

Quick Reply: Misinformed on 103 Build and Cams....