Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Misinformed on 103 Build and Cams....

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 04:26 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by rthomp159
No point in continuing I guess. Sorry Iclick, I thought you were more interested in working on your bike than just promoting a product. I've been very clear that I know nothing about the PCV, which is why I'm asking questions. I would have figured you were more interested in working with your fuel injection and ECM.
First, nobody is suggesting that you stay out of this discussion. You were explaining why you use TTS, which is irrelevant in this thread since neither the OP or anyone else has indicated an interest in changing tuners, so you began the promotional dialog. Go back and re-read the message I was replying to (#35), where you really didn't ask any questions at all but offered several areas you felt were better served by TTS. Tony started this thread and I don't think he or anyone else asked for opinions on the virtues of other tuners. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

What's more, amidst the TTS promo, I also felt that you harbored some misconceptions about the PCV and I pointed them out, which is not promoting a product. Was I wrong in representing any of these points? I've tried to be helpful to the OP in this thread, as Tony and I go way back in discussions about the PCV, but if you enter a product-specific thread and make questionable remarks about that product you should expect to be challenged. If I have not represented the PCV or TTS accurately I would appreciate it if you would point out my errors rather than make general accusations that I'm here only to promote something.

Last edited by iclick; 04-10-2010 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:13 PM
09StreetGlider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, Keith isn't done with my new map yet, and it will be another 3 weeks or so till I get the 2-1-2 FM pipe. So I decided to do some experimenting today. I downloaded the one and only Stage 2 103 map that Power Commander had on their website. This is what I would call a power map as the highest AFR in the cruise range is set at 13.7

I opted to ride the map the way it was and let my auto tune do some work on it. I took off on about a 50 mile loop and took the laptop with me. After the Oil Temp got to 200 I stopped, looked at the trims, and accepted them. Performance was ok before the first stop, but after accepting trims I could tell it was a lot closer. I stopped twice more in that 50 mile loop and accepted trims each time. The last time I only had a few trims above 10. After accepting the last set of trims I rode about another 20 miles and the bike runs better now than ever before. I can feel more power, broader TQ curve, and no hesitation or pinging. The only thing I did manually to this map was add 10 to the 0% column for the fuel tables to eliminate a little decel popping and that worked very well.

Once I got home I decided to enter in my lean AFR's from my last map (14.4 in cruise) into this new map. I set max enleanment to 30 and max enrichment to 10. I took off around the same 50 mile loop as the first time. No issues whatsoever and the highest my oil temps got was 225 while sitting in traffic at 4 consecutive stop lights. Once rolling again the temps went right down to between 200-215, just where I like them to be.

I think once I get the pipe I will be able to go a little leaner again for better mileage, but I also believe opening up the restrictive exhaust is going to deliver a few more HP/TQ. I'm happy with it for now, but I still want that pipe.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:17 PM
09StreetGlider
Road Master

OH, forgot to mention....

Once I got back, I did not accept trims for the lean AFR's. I'm getting ready to hook up the map switch right now so I can switch between lean AFR's with autotune, and the richer basemap.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:32 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by 09StreetGlider
OH, forgot to mention....

Once I got back, I did not accept trims for the lean AFR's. I'm getting ready to hook up the map switch right now so I can switch between lean AFR's with autotune, and the richer basemap.
You did it right but didn't really need to "accept trims" more than once to establish that rich base map. There is no advantage to doing it multiple times since AT uses the sum of the base-map and trim tables and larger trims don't affect its reaction time or accuracy. For example, if you see a "10" in one trim cell and you have "15" in the base map, the net is "25". When AT arrives at this point in RPM/TP it instantly accepts "25" as the value, then trims further in accordance with the output of the O2 sensors and your target AFR's. If you accept trims you'll have "25" in the base map, which is the same thing.

You should be ready now for the map switch, and that in combo with the oil cooler should put you in about as good a position as you can be in for getting best mileage and optimal cooling at your beck and call.

What kind of trims are you seeing? I have some really large negatives in some places, but I'm using a richer base map and leaner targets. I'm seeing all double-digit negatives up to -31, but mostly -10 to -20.

I'll be borrowing an LCD-200 next week to test for a while and will report how it works. It gives read-outs on PCV info, including head temp, real-time AFR's, etc.; does data logging onto an SD card; and accepts multiple maps. I won't be using the last feature since I'm in good shape with the map switch, but my biggest problem is figuring out where to mount it.

Old 04-11-2010, 07:13 PM
09StreetGlider
Road Master

Originally Posted by iclick
You did it right but didn't really need to "accept trims" more than once to establish that rich base map. There is no advantage to doing it multiple times since AT uses the sum of the base-map and trim tables and larger trims don't affect its reaction time or accuracy. For example, if you see a "10" in one trim cell and you have "15" in the base map, the net is "25". When AT arrives at this point in RPM/TP it instantly accepts "25" as the value, then trims further in accordance with the output of the O2 sensors and your target AFR's. If you accept trims you'll have "25" in the base map, which is the same thing.
I'm sure you're right about that...but, I forgot to adjust enrichment/enleanment settings in the AT before I left the house. I had them set at 20/20 and when I stopped the first time I had some that were 20. So I accepted and figured those may have some more room. The second time I stopped they were much closer, but I had a couple higher ones, so I accepted those. The third time I stopped all cells were within + or - 4. So I accepted those and am using that as the base power map.

You should be ready now for the map switch, and that in combo with the oil cooler should put you in about as good a position as you can be in for getting best mileage and optimal cooling at your beck and call.
I installed the switch today, but I didn't get a chance to go out today. I'll be riding back and forth to work over the next few days. I'll see how that goes...sometimes we get some thick traffic coming off the base in the afternoon.

What kind of trims are you seeing? I have some really large negatives in some places, but I'm using a richer base map and leaner targets. I'm seeing all double-digit negatives up to -31, but mostly -10 to -20.
Now that I have the lean trims on my rich map and the switch installed....I'll report back in the next couple days on this.

I'll be borrowing an LCD-200 next week to test for a while and will report how it works. It gives read-outs on PCV info, including head temp, real-time AFR's, etc.; does data logging onto an SD card; and accepts multiple maps. I won't be using the last feature since I'm in good shape with the map switch, but my biggest problem is figuring out where to mount it.
I'm interested in this, especially the data logging. I'm very interested in what data it provides. Think it would be possible to induce some knocking or pinging and see what it tells you...? I wouldn't want to on purpose, but would like to know if it pinpoints where in RPM & TP. Not sure I would shell out the kind of money they're asking for it, but if enough data is available it might be worth it.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:25 PM
09StreetGlider
Road Master

For those of you that were interested in the SE-255 cams I was getting in.....
They came in damaged from **** poor packaging. I have contacted the seller and will be shipping them back as soon as I am refunded my money.

Sorry, but you'll have to look elsewhere. Watch out on e-bay!

Attached Thumbnails Misinformed on 103 Build and Cams....-img_1267.jpg  
Old 04-13-2010, 10:24 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by 09StreetGlider
For those of you that were interested in the SE-255 cams I was getting in.....
They came in damaged from **** poor packaging. I have contacted the seller and will be shipping them back as soon as I am refunded my money.

Sorry, but you'll have to look elsewhere. Watch out on e-bay!
Hey, why quibble over one measly tooth, as there are so many more on that cam!

Damn! There's no way you could chip a tooth off of a cam in shipping! Is there? Well, maybe if the UPS truck ran over the box. That's amazing. Are these the replacements for the stock cams the schmuck sent you before? If so, Ebay should ban that sucker. Most people are getting good cams on Ebay. A friend just got a cherry set used for $150, which is about the going price these days (used), more for new ones.

Last edited by iclick; 04-13-2010 at 10:27 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:22 AM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rochkes
Very true, but I would also hope that you could count on info from a dealer you bought a bike from to be accurate.

Dennis
Rule no. 1-- you cannot count on any info from a dealer as being accurate.

I had a "service manager" tell me recently that only one helmet mounting screw comes with each of the two 09 Ultra headsets that come with the bike. (there were two missing from my kit)

Sheesh- there are two holes in each headset mount and if you used one screw in each headset they would fall off the helmets!

I just shook my head and went to the hardware store and bought 2 to replace the 2 that were missing. It wasn't worth my time to argue the point...

Old 04-15-2010, 10:49 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

man at 500 bucks for the new headpipe, you're so close to the cost of the vance & hines 2 into 1 pro pipe, which would allow your bike to breathe so much better than a basically stock header without cats.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:51 AM
09StreetGlider
Road Master

Originally Posted by emwolb
man at 500 bucks for the new headpipe, you're so close to the cost of the vance & hines 2 into 1 pro pipe, which would allow your bike to breathe so much better than a basically stock header without cats.
For me...I can't stand the look of a bagger with a 2-1 pipe. I like the duals look. The sytems with the false pipe on the left are cool, but the price isn't. The FM pipe is close enough to a 2-1 design for me, while still getting the look of dual exhaust.

As long as it frees up the exhaust flow better than it is now, I think I'll be good. Not like I have a serious Hi-Po motor or anything.