Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Misinformed on 103 Build and Cams....

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 05:17 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by hog-doc
I would think that if 2 dyno guys told me my bike makes the numbers of a st2 with cams I woulda investigated a little more before investing in parts and tools.
Very true, but I would also hope that you could count on info from a dealer you bought a bike from to be accurate.

Dennis

Old 04-07-2010, 06:28 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

I find the fact that the op thought his bike needed cam's when they were already installed an interesting comment on the effectiveness(or lack thereof) of the 255 camset. I am sure that those who had stock cams are/were pleased with the upgrade but that kinda tells me that he wasn't impressed with them, regardless of the dyno sheet.

Last edited by qtrracer; 04-07-2010 at 06:29 PM. Reason: added dyno sheet
Old 04-07-2010, 06:51 PM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Cat

Originally Posted by qtrracer
I find the fact that the op thought his bike needed cam's when they were already installed an interesting comment on the effectiveness(or lack thereof) of the 255 camset. I am sure that those who had stock cams are/were pleased with the upgrade but that kinda tells me that he wasn't impressed with them, regardless of the dyno sheet.
I think the cat in the headpipe, would have counteracted some of the performance the cams gave him.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:59 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member

Don't think there is one in the '09's headpipe but I could be wrong.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:00 PM
09StreetGlider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hog-doc
I would think that if 2 dyno guys told me my bike makes the numbers of a st2 with cams I woulda investigated a little more before investing in parts and tools.

That was 1 dyno guy...that had not dyno'd an 09 and never worked with a PCV at the time. He didn't tell me that either....really he just stated his surprise at the TQ number. Then when he looked at the HP number it didn't make sense. At least until now, now that I know I have a cat in the headpipe. We both assumed he couldn't get the sniffer up the exhaust due to the collector pipe, neither of us would have thought that my non Cali bike would have had a cat.

The other guy that told me was an HD parts guy and I investigated it further the very next day...today.

That's what I get for taking the word of an HD service manager over the phone the first time I guess....

Old 04-07-2010, 07:03 PM
09StreetGlider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't think there is one in the '09's headpipe but I could be wrong.
If you add the HD Stage 2 103 kit there is. It came as part of the kit and they replaced the stock free flowing unit with the cat POS.

That is the reason I thought I needed more power....

I'll report back on my feelings about the setup when I get the FM 2-1-2 headpipe.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:06 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member

Well , I was right and wrong, his bike didn't have a cat headpipe but it was added, that kinda sucks to have it added don't it. Well at least he knows how to get a little more out of it. That is weird that the 49 state kit has those but the CA kits don't cause we have the cats in the muffs.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:34 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Well, the Stage II was installed when he bought the bike, so he probably wasn't familiar with the stock feel. I started with a stocker and am now elated with my lowly TC96 with 255's, so for me a Stage II would be far more than my minimum needs. OTOH some people aren't happy with a Stage II or even a CVO, which is why they make Stage III and IV, and why the sale of all sorts of other high-performance upgrade hardware is brisk. It's also why you see 255's on Ebay for good prices, which are typically CVO pulls where the owners didn't mind upping compression and/or displacement along with adding peakier cams to get even more power.

Last edited by iclick; 04-07-2010 at 11:37 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:37 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Well , I was right and wrong, his bike didn't have a cat headpipe but it was added, that kinda sucks to have it added don't it. Well at least he knows how to get a little more out of it. That is weird that the 49 state kit has those but the CA kits don't cause we have the cats in the muffs.

na, you were just wrong. (kidding, kidding........)

as far as the cams not being enough? There's never enough! No matter what you're running, it can always be made faster.

don't you know the hot rodders credo?

If more's better, then too much is just right.

Old 04-08-2010, 04:39 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Having gone from a stock 2010 exhaust with a catalytic converter to a D&D Fatcat, I think the O.P. is going to be disappointed in the difference in heat. There's virtually no difference at all in losing the converter. Sound? Yes, big difference. Power? Hard to quantify since the pipe design is changed, but probably.

There's nothing wrong with 235 degree oil.

Quick Reply: Misinformed on 103 Build and Cams....