Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I normal ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 12:18 PM
RAP
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeh, been taking pills for it....... But does'nt help!

Old 04-07-2010, 12:19 PM
KoalaCowboy
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's my take (yes, I'm in the same boat as most):

Cleaning your scoot is a matter of PRIDE. Personally, I wish more folks in the USA had this kind of pride in ownership. IF they did, perhaps we would not have the run down neighborhoods we have, the POS autos on the road that are a hazard to all, etc.

As for cleaning the scoot...I do a "french wash" on the bike using microfiber cleaning cloth with hot water and another cloth to dry before I go out...then another quick cycle when I get back.

I also do a thorough cleaning 1x / week during the warmer months (wondering when I'm going to put a hose bib in my garage for cleaning in the winter months )

Old 04-07-2010, 12:24 PM
wagger
Novice

I almost washed the paint off mine when I first got it, now only after a RAIN RIDE.Your very normal !

Old 04-07-2010, 12:35 PM
GarArnett
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KoalaCowboy
Here's my take (yes, I'm in the same boat as most):

Cleaning your scoot is a matter of PRIDE. Personally, I wish more folks in the USA had this kind of pride in ownership. IF they did, perhaps we would not have the run down neighborhoods we have, the POS autos on the road that are a hazard to all, etc.

As for cleaning the scoot...I do a "french wash" on the bike using microfiber cleaning cloth with hot water and another cloth to dry before I go out...then another quick cycle when I get back.

I also do a thorough cleaning 1x / week during the warmer months (wondering when I'm going to put a hose bib in my garage for cleaning in the winter months )
I think there are more ways to express pride of ownership than a perfectly washed and detailed bike. Just because some don't express their "pride of ownership" the same way, doesn't mean they have any less pride in their bike or what ever else.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:43 PM
Lambo
Tourer

This is KOOOOOL! Thanks for the response, kinda thought this would be the outcome. My wife said she wanted to passenger, tell me twice NOT! I traded my 09 FJR and her (never ridden) 08 FZ6 for this. I have slowed down, I do ride in deer infested roads, had the same thoughts of the HD in the past...to slow, to heavy, Milwaulkee road block snobs and etc... Guess what, wherever I fit, I love it. And the chrome bug has bitten. And my wife loves it just as much as I do, plus she has spent big $ for clothing already. We walked in the local dealer, she whispered to me....hey we are official now and then grinned!

Old 04-07-2010, 12:50 PM
racerdj
Club Member

I've got the same problem with no known cure I know of.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:03 PM
keeferfish
Tourer

It’s actually more of a Disorder than a Sickness, Illness, Disease, Virus, Bug, Ailment or a Virus. I hope your never cured. Well back to the cleaning for me.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:24 PM
honorsdaddy
Road Master

Originally Posted by Lambo
Or should I seek counseling? I have had many bikes in my time, and recently ( 2 weeks ago) I purchased my first H.D. I maintain and have cleaned all my bikes with great pride. But now I find myself possessed with the H.D. and I clean or wipe it down up to four times a day depending on my work schedule. I was looking at H.D. on ebay the other day and just commented to my wife..why am I looking here and just got up and went to the garage to look at my own. I am not sure if I need to be pinched of the reality of having one or what. At 47yrs old I have always rode other bikes and just been fasinated with the H.D., this is in do part of my father who back in his day rode a 1950 Hydro Glide (?). They are gorgeous, beautiful and a work of art, and I can not stand to see it dusty or a have bug splatters all over the front end. So the question is.....is this normal? I have been to the dealer 5 times in 2 weeks and can't wait to begin with the add ons. I LOVE IT!!!!!! NO I LOVE IT REALLY!!
Normal is relative.

Are you normal for this forum? Yeah.

Are you normal to the rest of the world? Um - you ride a motorcycle, what do you think?

Old 04-07-2010, 01:45 PM
hcubed
Advanced

Originally Posted by Lambo
Or should I seek counseling? I have had many bikes in my time, and recently ( 2 weeks ago) I purchased my first H.D. I maintain and have cleaned all my bikes with great pride. But now I find myself possessed with the H.D. and I clean or wipe it down up to four times a day depending on my work schedule. I was looking at H.D. on ebay the other day and just commented to my wife..why am I looking here and just got up and went to the garage to look at my own. I am not sure if I need to be pinched of the reality of having one or what. At 47yrs old I have always rode other bikes and just been fasinated with the H.D., this is in do part of my father who back in his day rode a 1950 Hydro Glide (?). They are gorgeous, beautiful and a work of art, and I can not stand to see it dusty or a have bug splatters all over the front end. So the question is.....is this normal? I have been to the dealer 5 times in 2 weeks and can't wait to begin with the add ons. I LOVE IT!!!!!! NO I LOVE IT REALLY!!
Congrats on the new scoot!
I hope you love yours as much as we love ours!
Welcome to the clan.

By the way, it's Hydra Glide, not Hydro Glide.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:02 PM
Badfinger
Road Master

Congratulations on your bike! Fortunately you are what we call stage one and that's a good thing. I would only become concerned if you move into stage two before the summer ends. You should see a doctor if you suddenly find yourself choosing routes to ride by how clean they are or if you feel compelled to keep Handy wipes in you bag! These action denote stage two type symptoms. We won't get into Chromaholics at this time. Try to relax but keep you're guard up

Quick Reply: Am I normal ???