Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My bike will not start

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 07:58 AM
tdog206
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My bike will not start

I have a 2006 Street Glide I just tore apart and powder coated all chrome and painted inner fearing. I just finished putting it all back together and everything works except for the starter button, now it doesn't start. The right side blinker as well as engine run switch and radio control all work. When you switch to RUN the fuel injector primes. The first thing I checked was the Battery as it was disconnected for the winter. I put it back on the trickle charge and it showed a green charged light. I hooked it up and it still would not start. I removed battery and took it to Autozone to be load tested. The batttery showed 12 Volts and under load 11.75. Its not the battery. Handle bar switch housings were done and I ran wires through the handlebar so I rechecked all connections and found no issues. I then checked all fuses, having none blown, I moved on to the starter relay. The Relay clicks as it is supposed to when the start button is depressed. I then moved down to the starter and put at meter on the starter wire. I pressed the start button and the meter read 12.25 at the starter. I then checked all wiring leading to the starter and all grounds are attached. I then pulled the cover off the end of the starter exposing the starter solenoid. I removed the solenoid and cleaned all the connections and lubed bore with electrical cleaner and lube. Put it all back together and still will not start. Is it just coincidence that the started let go the same winter I had it dismantled. I was told that sometimes the starters will lock up over the winter. Never had this problem with the starter. The next step is tapping on the starter itself to see if it will free up. If it still does not start then I will remove the starter and bench test. The shop manual stated that the BAC might need to be reset because ignition was removed (???) Never heard of this. I Know the battery is good. I know all my wiring is correct at the switch and the starter relay is functioning properly because I am getting 12 Volts at the starter. All the grounds are attached. Is there anything I'm missing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by tdog206; 04-07-2010 at 08:08 AM.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:03 AM
Arizona to Texas
Stage II
Thumbs up won't start Try this

Hi did you try the battery in your electronic key.
I recently left my key on for 4 hours and killed my battery. bought a new one at HD $138. (ouch) and then mine would not start. My electronic key had a recent battery in it, but, becasue I left the key on it killed that key battery on the key that was closest to the bike. I have two the other one was fine.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:23 AM
Arizona to Texas
Stage II
Arrow another bit of info

in reference to the electronic key.

in my instructions from my battery I purchased from the harley dealer
as follows VOLTAGE READINGS;
12.7=100%
12.6=75%
12.3=50%
12.0=25%
11.8=0%
You say autozone tested your battery maybe they don't know what there doing. Try some one else.
My new battery registered 12.8 new out of the box.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:21 AM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Looking at the wiring on my 2011 bike, if you have 12v on one of the solenoid terminals with the key off, and 12v on both terminals with the starter button depressed, the only thing left is the starter itself, or it's grounds.

It's definitely unlikely, but possible it froze up over the winter. You can try taking it apart and spinning it over by hand.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:34 AM
mfortkamp
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you remove the wire from the starter when you checked the voltage or was it still hooked up. If you removed the wire it is possible that your relay is bad but with no load on the wire it will still read 12 volts. I did the same thing on my 98 softail and ended up replacing the starter and after i was done still nothing... boy was i mad. Now i have a good starter laying around that i think will fit your bike...pm me if you want it

Old 02-20-2011, 09:36 AM
mfortkamp
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

wow holy thread resurection maybe i should read the dates before i reply