Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coast to Coast

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 03:56 PM
Rick Ferrin
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coast to Coast

My wife and I are riding from Souther CA to Orlando starting May 3rd for three weeks. Riding up the Pacific Coast Hwy.Then over to Lake Tahoe, to Los Vegas/Grand Canyon, then up to Colorado and over to ATL then down. We're looking for points of interest along the way. Any ideas?
Thanks!
Rick

Old 04-06-2010, 04:06 PM
KoalaCowboy
Road Warrior

Be prepared for snow / rain / hail in Southeastern Utah and throughout Colorado.

We typically see a few late season showers (snow) into early June, along with the typical rain / hail throughout the afternoons in the Summer.

Million Dollar Highway in CO is pretty scenic. Other spots depend on where your route has you going.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:18 PM
09 Ultra Classic
1st Gear

My wife and I did a similar trip last year I reccomend buying a National Parks pass and and seeing how many National parks you can see. The roads in and around the parks are always great rides. We went from Sequioa & Kings Canyon to Yosemite then up through San Francisco and Pt Reyes National Seashore. We visited 10 national parks and had a great time at each one. Be prepared for rain, snow and wind and you should have a great trip

Old 04-06-2010, 04:43 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would recommend riding the high country on the return trip.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:47 PM
wldbill
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

With that route planned I hope you have good heated gear and rain gear. You also may need a trailer to put it after
reach lower and warmer places.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:02 AM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Utah ... so ugly ... stay away!

Just kidding. I'd say ride Vegas to Flagstaff and then to the south rim of the GC (north rim will be closed until mid-May). Cut back to Highway 89 and north toward Page, AZ, and then into southern Utah. Try to see the Valley of the Gods and the Four Corners area before cutting up through southwestern Colorado.

As noted, weather in southern Utah and western Colorado can get some seasonal showers and freezing rain. I usually ride through the area every year by mid-May. Last year (2nd week of May) got rained on from outside Kanab, UT, all the way to Tucumcari, NM. It let up for 100 miles or so, but by Amarillo, TX, I was in the rain again all the way to Oklahoma City.

This shot was taken in late March just east of St George, UT, and before you get to the Virgin River Gorge (between Utah and Nevada along the Arizona border).

Here's a short on Utah 14 east of Cedar City, UT, but it's in June. There's still snow on the ground in many spots in May, and at higher elevations there's snow into June and sometimes July.

As you can see ... Utah ... Ugly ... stay away!