Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plastic part the ECU is mounted to, question!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 10:32 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Plastic part the ECU is mounted to, question!

For those who know what this plastic part is, that the ECU is mounted on. I was removing my ECU yesterday and found that the brass (nut sert) in the plastic was just spinning. I was not even able to put a vice grip onto the plastic and get the thing loose. (the allen screw which holds the ECU onto one of two of the brass nut in the plastic)

I wish that this item was designed better. Its a real wonder to me that it was made this way to start with. (rant off, for now)

Has anyone encountered this and found a way to get the brass nut in the plastic unscrewed from the allen?

With out distroying the plastic?

I think the plastic will have to be distroyed to get the thing off next. And then a replacement will have to be installed.

Old 08-06-2006, 11:55 PM
bay13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Plastic part the ECU is mounted to, question!

I know exactly what you mean. I've seen the metal screw part melted into plastic on a lot of things.(Headlight assemblys on Volvos) The part number for the plastic electricial bracket as it's called is 70348-02, in case you have to destroy it. Try getting some liquid wrench on it and let it set for at least 1/2 hour.

PS just looked at the parts again and the actual nut does'nt come with the new plastic piece the part number for the nut is 7716, the screw is 4718A

Old 08-07-2006, 12:12 AM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: bay13

I know exactly what you mean. I've seen the metal screw part melted into plastic on a lot of things.(Headlight assemblys on Volvos) The part number for the plastic electricial bracket as it's called is 70348-02, in case you have to destroy it. Try getting some liquid wrench on it and let it set for at least 1/2 hour.

PS just looked at the parts again and the actual nut does'nt come with the new plastic piece the part number for the nut is 7716, the screw is 4718A
Thanks for the part numbers Rich. I'm sure they are going to come in handy. I think that my brass part is fused onto the allen bolt. I will most likely have to grind it of with a cutting disc on my dremal. Then I'll have to get new allens also.

Thanks again,
Gary

Old 08-07-2006, 02:16 AM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Saw the same thing when I was installing my PCIII. The bolts seem to be aluminum, and when I removed them there were signs of corrosion happening. Your's got to where mine were headed. Prior to putting them back in I cleaned them up and added a bit of anti-seize compound. Should be good to go now.

It only takes about 5 minutes tops....everybody ought to have a look at theirs. The day might come where you'll wish you had.

CN

Old 08-07-2006, 09:49 AM
Edmo
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The day after I brought my RK Classic home I was tinkering around under the right side cover and found one of my ECM bolts seized to the nutplate and also spinning. HD likes to put thread locker on everything and I'm sure this is one of the threads they have locked.

Edmo

Old 06-08-2007, 07:42 PM
oasis856
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello,
Have ecu screw problem, just want to know howdid you correct the problem. I put fuelpak on with one screw, won't sleep at night untilI get it right.

Please help, how do I remove turning screw on ecu, or do I replacemounting.

Help, thanks

Old 06-08-2007, 07:51 PM
StreetGlide2006
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, unless you are very lucky it is easier to buy a new back plate. Most likely you will trash that one getting it apart. Replaced mine the first time I tried to remove it. New one was under $20.00 if I remember right.

Ride Safe,

Mike

Old 06-08-2007, 08:06 PM
oasis856
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you cut/saw plastic?

Old 06-08-2007, 08:58 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member

Have not yet cut or sawed the plastic. The ECU is still on the bike and I wanted to piggy back my V&H Fuel Pac onto the thing with the screws. They never came out. So I tie wraped the V&H module on top of the ECU.

It will all stay that way until I'm ready to install the DTT module. Then the cutting and sawing willl begin!

Old 06-09-2007, 06:56 AM
Spartan
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whenremovingthe ECM screws, you need to work themback and forth starting with 1/4 truns and eventually moving to full turns. This will break the thread sealer and eventually the screws will come out. If you don't do it this way and force the screw to turn counter clockwise, you run the risk of having the brass insert spin with the screw, then you're screwed (no pun intended). Your best bet is to replace the ECM backing plate.

Quick Reply: Plastic part the ECU is mounted to, question!