Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 FLHX Front Wheel on 02 FLHR

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 09:13 AM
ArizonaFalconer
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 FLHX Front Wheel on 02 FLHR

Hi all,

I just purchased a 2009 FLHX Front Wheel with tire and rotors. I am looking to put it on my 2002 FLHR. I'm still looking to buy a 2006-2008 FLHX rear rim, but I should have one soon. I have always appreciated all the great input I get from this board, and I have a couple questions regarding the swap:

1. From the image it looks like it is complete, with bearings and all. I believe since the difference between the axles is nearly nothing that I should be able to mount it with my current hardware? I may be mistaken, if I am please correct my uneducated assumption so I don't get myself into trouble!

2. Will the brake rotors work for my current brakes? They look to be similar diameter, but of course, I can't exactly measure them since I don't have the wheel here yet. One or both of my front rotors appear to be just slightly warped as I have a little bit of a stutter in my braking when I use the front brakes. This is one of the reasons I chose to purchase this particular wheel.

3. it has a stock tire with only 3k miles on it, how many more miles can I expect to get on this? I'm going to go with a E3 on the rear, and I was hoping I could get another year or so off the front tire on this rim I ride about 20,000 miles a year mostly highway miles.

I am sure I've got a couple misconceptions or mistakes in my logic here, so please correct me if it needs be. I have only been riding for a couple years so I still have much to learn.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:05 AM
fairplay
Road Master

front tire...you could get up to 20k on that depending on riding style. REMEMBER: similar (as you said) and exact are miles apart when dealing with a 2 wheeled vehicle. I belive the bearings will need to be changed. The dealer will know for sure. They are cheap and cheap insurance. I am not sure about the rest I could give you my opinion but that never gets you anywhere.

It can be done and w/o too much work. It willl look nice when done.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:30 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

I understand your bike has 1" bearings and 08 and later have 25mm, but as fairplay says they can be changed. I looked for FLHX wheels for a while for my bike, but couldn't find any at the time, so envy you yours! Best of luck getting them both on.

Last edited by grbrown; 04-06-2010 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Grammar.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:30 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Stab it in there and see if it fits.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:52 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

easiest way get a axle and spacers off a 09 and use your ol rotors

Old 04-06-2010, 12:55 PM
gabulldog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking that the rotors are larger and will not work with the stock brakes that came on pre 08 bikes which have Brembos. As someone else noted the bearing change is no big deal, and I know you can change the brakes to Brembo's.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:35 PM
meepers
Tourer

the axle is bigger on the 09, cheapest route is to use your existing rotors, and put new bearings in the wheel for the 1" axle, make sure to use your spacer thats in your current wheel too.

Pimp route is to get 09 lower legs, axle, spacers and brembo calipers and Master Cyl and have all 09 front hardware.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:50 PM
ArizonaFalconer
Tourer

Thank you all for your wonderful recommendations! Meepers, I would sure love to go the pimp route, and I think I'll even hold on to the rotors and swap them out later if I can go the aforementioned pimp route.

I have some time to prep for this as I am working on acquiring the rear wheel, then I'll be ordering an E3 tire for it. I'd really love to go with a 160, but I am concerned for clearance.

I will wait till my tires are worn just a bit more before I swap out to the new setup, but when I do, I'll get plenty of pictures of course.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:59 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

You should be able to get a 150 in (assuming you don't already!) and I am sure someone has fitted a 160, so it is worth a search.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:12 PM
meepers
Tourer

I would love to see it when its done!. I have been debating on buying and Aftermarket 18" wheel, or going with an 09 front wheel from an SG or Ultra or SE bike. I just upgraded my front forks to 04 lower sliders, brakes and wheel (bike is a 97) and I am trying to find a brembo setup on the cheap. I am sure the upgrade to the 4 pots will be huge compaired to the POS brakes that came on my bike.

I bet the new teardop wheel would look sweet in gloss black or satin black without the machined face, but the '10 SE ultra wheel is super nice too. I just know they would cost as much or more as going with an aftermarket 18. I cant go 21" on my bike as my fender is lowered nearly 2 inches, and I dont want to redo my front fender.

Quick Reply: 09 FLHX Front Wheel on 02 FLHR