Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i am a little nervous about riding anymore

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010 | 05:30 AM
STUNU
|
Tourer
Unhappy i am a little nervous about riding anymore

went out for a ride with my wife and a buddy and his girl,great weather clear sunny on a two lane back road. it was about a week ago ,this guy pulls up to the stop sign like he was going to stop then just went my buddy was about 100ft in front of me and almost t-boned the guy the guy either didnt see him or didnt care , my buddy missed him by about a foot he was on the brakes hard and thank god he didnt hit him after that we pulled off so my buddy could check his pants.it was freakin scarey, then about an hour later some azzhole almost klips me from behind.two days later i hear a bike goes down two blocks over from me on a road i use very often. i guess my question is do any of you guys ever get the feeling maybe i should just get off and park the bike, or let me know how you get through that worried feeling, i love to ride but... hate being on the edge of my seat and paranoid all the time.... guys any insight would be very helpfull thanks ahead of time .

signed nervous rider

Old 04-06-2010 | 05:36 AM
grbrown
Club Member

Take a deep breath and relax! If we stopped doing the things we love when something bad happens, we wouldn't know which way to turn. Most people die in bed, but its a great place to sleep.

I have never ridden a horse, but it is said that if you fall off one you should get straight back on. You should take yourself out for a ride round your favourite local roads and enjoy the experience. Remember the things that you first liked about bikes and don't be too cautious.

Let us know you when you get back!

Old 04-06-2010 | 05:37 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior

As you gain experience from riding and hopefully learn from incidents like this, you will become more comfortable. Your best defense is to assume no one can see you. I have had cagers look right at me at a stop sign and still go through like I am not there. I assume cagers will do something stupid, so I am always aware, that means even when you are stopped at a light or sign.

Old 04-06-2010 | 05:56 AM
tcarille
Outstanding HDF Member

not to be a downer..but anyone who rides should accept the fact that sh*t can and will happen.it may not be our fault,but you have to accept the fact,and decide whether the enjoyment you get out of riding is worth the risks you take.take care and try to enjoy.

Old 04-06-2010 | 06:21 AM
47Norton
Road Captain

I think this is a matter of degree. Being cautious is a good thing. When you become overly cautious you are setting yourself up for an accident. This isn't a very good answer to your question, but you have to find a fine line where your experience and natural reflexes allow you relax and enjoy your ride. Of course we all know that you can do everything right and still have an accident. If you have a choice, just ride where you feel safe and comfortable. Just my 2 cents. Trying not to sound preachy, as I have had to take a deep breath a few times myself.

Old 04-06-2010 | 06:22 AM
Phurion
Road Warrior

I just went through this late last year, and is part of why I sold my Street Glide in November.

Over the last year 3 guys I work with went down. One of them lost half of his brain and is relearning how to eat, and how to NOT drool all over himself. He's only a couple of steps away from being a vegetable for the rest of his life. The other two were pretty minor in comparison (just a couple of broken bones and some road rash), but they all spooked me pretty badly. Add to those a couple of close calls I'd had, and it was a recipe for parking the bike for good. I'd hardly ridden in months because of the fear, so I sold the bike.

The next five months found me becoming more and more grumpy and miserable until something had to give. Did some soul searching and realized part of the problem was that I'd given into the fear. I'd done that once before back in '83 after I took a pretty bad spill, and it kept me from riding for 15 years. That's 15 years I'll never get back.

I decided (again, but MUCH sooner than last time) that I was NOT going to live in fear of "what if's". I KNOW I'm a safe rider, and I never ride beyond my abilities. I'm ALWAYS in "condition yellow" and ALWAYS very aware of my surroundings and what's going on around me. I can't control other drivers, but I can always be on alert and EXPECT stupidity from cagers. Being prepared is half the battle.

Take a few weeks or months off. Park it if you need, but don't sell it. Give yourself time to get past the fear and back in the saddle. Don't live in fear. It will only rob you of your passion. I speak from experience.

Hope this helps.

It should be noted that the guys in my first paragraph weren't riding safely. Two of them had been drinking and weren't wearing helmets (including the guy who's learning to eat again), and the other was a sport bike rider who wasn't paying attention and rear ended someone when they came to an abrupt stop. Lessons from those? Wear a helmet, pay attention, and the biggest "DUH!" of them all...DON'T DRINK AND RIDE! Pretty simple rules to follow in order to continue enjoying riding.

Last edited by Phurion; 04-06-2010 at 06:24 AM.
Old 04-06-2010 | 06:34 AM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member

I learned not to ever assume that any of them cages are going to see you or stop for you. They will just run you over if you let them. I ride everyday and my head is always on a swivel. Above all ride like you are invisible because you might as well be.

Old 04-06-2010 | 06:39 AM
VETERAN75
Road Warrior

Ride thru it. I've had some real close calls myself. Even this past friday riding 2up with my wife. For whatever reason a van coouple car lengths ahead slammed on brakes. I had to get on the brakes hard, put the ABS to work on it. I had guided the bike over so that we stopped beside the tail of the van instead hitting it. Had not been for the ABS I would have skidded and possibly went down. I was ok with since I have had close ones before but my wife was shaken up.

If nothin else have a couple beers to calm your nerves, take a couple rides alone.

There's always danger in riding.

Old 04-06-2010 | 06:41 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member

Sounds like you need to give it up.

Old 04-06-2010 | 06:55 AM
Route66rider
Tourer

Just common sense, but here are a couple of things I do:
Always watch your "6" when travelling down the road and when sitting at a stop light while leaving a car length ahead of you for escape space.
Never be the first off the line when the light changes.
Always check left and right (twice) when crossing a multi-lane intersection.
Watch the driver and the car wheels when meeting a car on a two lane road.
Expect the average "cage" operator to be an idiot.
Do NOT tailgate anyone, especially big rigs.
When in doubt, shoot!
OOPS! Skip that last one, wrong forum!

Quick Reply: i am a little nervous about riding anymore