Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i am a little nervous about riding anymore

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010 | 12:28 PM
karter
Advanced

I had to laugh at the kid that blasted past me on his rice rocket the other day wearing jeans and flipflops( no helmet, shirt ) . That was me 45 years ago ! Now I'm suited up and I also assume everyone on the road is out to get me .
45 years ago drivers didn't have the distractions that they have now . Cell phones , loud stereos , air cond. and windows up . Not real sure how we got away from the buisness of driving to using our cages as mobile living rooms .

Old 04-06-2010 | 12:44 PM
scootertramp
Road Captain

I always ride like their trying to kill me! Maybe that's why I haul *** everywhere I go....I do my best to keep everything in my mirrors! I always check the complete intersection before leaving on a green, then WFO. Always lookin' for that killer. To me that's fun. To others it may not be their thing.

Old 04-06-2010 | 12:45 PM
adlerx
Road Captain

These are difficult decisions we all have to deal with. On august 15, beautiful sunny warm late summer sunday afternoon here in the PNW. I wsa heading to a friends house about 10 miles from home. The ride includes riding through the "deadliest road spot in the state". I have ridden through this Valley Junction spot a thousand times, it's in my back yard. I always try to be as extra careful as possible,especially so in this spot.
Lady pulls to stop sign much like your buddy. there is a lot of trafic for the two, one lane hwy's that intersect here. I am going straight through, lady at stop waiting to turn left across my lane. I am slowed to about 35 (limit here 45) hand and foot at ready on brakes, scanning for out spots in case any of the cagers does something unexpected. Make eye contact with the lady at stop sign, I thought! I get maybe 40 nft from the intersection and at the last possible second to get into my path, she pulls out.
It's too late for me! Two quick thoughts through my head, no you didn't and now I'm dead. At this point, time slows down like you can never understand if you haven't been there. No ABS so my rear end barely starts around to the left before the impact. just enough to squash me between the car and the 900lb bike traveling 35 before launching me across her hood and flying me about 30-40 feet.
My injuries were serious and life threatening but I was alive. I am still not recovered, six surgeries down and at least a couple more to go and if I were a young man, maybe 5-6 more to go to get all straightened out.
Back to the original posters point here. I never lost conscioness and as I lay on the ground for about an hour while they prepped me to survive the trip to the hospital I could only think about the others. Not myself but my wife and the other people in my life who love and care about me. Mostly I thought about my wife and what she would do without me. Scared the crap out of me! I went for months saying I would probably never ride again if I was even able. When asked the question in depositions I surprised even myself when I burst into tears and explained how that time on the ground and the thought about my wife going on alone would never allow mentally to be able to ride again. I couldn't ever take that chance again.
Fast forward a few months, finally starting to recover some movement in my left arm and finally pain subsiding. I live on a main tourist rt in the Oregon coast range so any time there is nice weather, there are hundreds of bikes going right past my house. We had(until two weeks ago) a beautiful mild/nice winter and early spring. Sitting in my little house listening to all those bikes go by was torture.
With my wifes encouragement, I bought a new bike "just in case" I would be able to ride again. Best medicine ever, since I got that bike three weeks ago, my recovery has taken on a light speed pace. I actually got out for a 10 mile ride last nice day we had. I am not physically ready to go out and really ride yet and may be months before I regainingg enough strength to ride two up but I am back on the horse and will continue to ride, just not as much as before I'm sure.
Like others have said, we can't control others, we have to have confidence and ride safely and we have to be extra cautious and give the cages a wide berth and yes, sometimes even this won't be enough.
All that said, If I was younger with children at home, I probably wouldn't have gotten back on.
Best of luck to you whatever you decide.

Old 04-06-2010 | 12:48 PM
ultrat
Road Master

Do not fear over ride you;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Old 04-06-2010 | 05:27 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member

I have not read the whole string, But have you taken any classes.

I ride very defensively and assume that if it can happen it will happen. Every accident is avoidable. Understanding that helps preclude many situations. And you would be suprised after a while you will get very good at fortelling situations. Also should encounter close situations do get angry at the car driver just pay attention and focused on the task at hand.

Take care and enjoy.

Old 04-06-2010 | 07:18 PM
oldbagr
Road Master

Fear is disabling; if you are fearful you should sell your bike. Having said that, being aware of the dangers of riding a bike is a good thing that should make you a better rider. The truth is that riding a motorcycle is more dangerous today than ever before. You need to know what is important to you so that you can do a risk assessment just like with investing in stocks... it is not for everyone. Personally, if my kids were still at home dependent on me, I would not own my motorcycles.

Old 04-06-2010 | 08:06 PM
MDodson
Road Master

They Are Out To Get You. Do not give up. I have dodged cars weekly . You always have to watch out for your self. You did not wreck on the close calls you had. So you are doing the right thing.

Old 04-06-2010 | 08:43 PM
hondo1
Tourer

Most everyone has said stay with it. My advice is give it up and sell me your bike for $50 so I can take care of it and you won't get hurt.

Seriously, hang in there and don't let the fear prevail.

In 130,000 miles of riding I've been down once. I totaled a brand new BMW sport tourer. Walked away bruised and beat up (was wearing full gear) and as soon as I got the insurance check I bought another one.

Important thing is I learned from that and am a more observant rider but hell will freeze over before I let fear force me to give up riding.

Old 04-06-2010 | 09:04 PM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior

Yes, it's dangerous out there but you can't dwell on it. Have you ever noticed that you can talk yourself into or out of just about anything by thinking about it too much? Just get on it and ride.

Old 04-06-2010 | 09:29 PM
Whitebone
Intermediate

Sounds like a good time to take a riding class. I know we all think we are the worlds best riders but sometimes going to a class can help your skills and make them better. There are many advanced riding classes out there. Take one and ride on. No one on here is as good of a rider than the could be. I read somewhere that your chances of being involved in an accident on a motorcycle drop by some crazy percentage for those who take training classes on a regular basis.