Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i am a little nervous about riding anymore

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010 | 10:01 AM
weezo
Tourer

Originally Posted by Bogart
Phurion, great well stated answer.
+1

Look at it this way - you just had a good day in school and are better prepared to take to the streets than before. Keep your head together, go for a ride and get rid of the jitters that way.

Old 04-06-2010 | 10:06 AM
Healey2Harley
Road Master

All of us have had those feelings at some time from friends go1ng down or lying it down ourself or just waking up stupid some morning. It usually passes as we realize that very few of us will ever leave this world alive.

Ride like everyone is out to get you. Take a short ride or two by youself to shake out the cob webs. If your like me, your probably more aware of what is going on around you and driving better / safer on two wheels than four.

Old 04-06-2010 | 10:25 AM
Scubamike
Road Captain

Originally Posted by smokindave
As you gain experience from riding and hopefully learn from incidents like this, you will become more comfortable. Your best defense is to assume no one can see you. I have had cagers look right at me at a stop sign and still go through like I am not there. I assume cagers will do something stupid, so I am always aware, that means even when you are stopped at a light or sign.
+1

Old 04-06-2010 | 10:41 AM
cajunfla
Tourer

my 2 cents worth.....nicer weather means more motorcycles on the road than what the cagers have seen over the winter, and they have not adjusted. that being said, there have been 4 motorcycle incidents THIS week here in the jax metro area, but not all involving cages.

Old 04-06-2010 | 11:03 AM
TheBlackBastard
Tourer

I think we've all had moments like this that make us rethink our riding situations. It's been said a few times already, but I'll say it again: Always assume that other drivers don't see you. Motorcycles, too! It's not limited to car drivers only. During the annual "Polar Bear Ride" in SLC this year, a few bikes crashed into each other. One person was killed and another was hurt really bad.

You know, every now and then it is a beautiful day outside. I have nothing to do and want to ride. But there's also that little feeling where I don't want to ride. If I'm not "feeling it", I don't ride. Period.

Old 04-06-2010 | 11:04 AM
2K1FLHPI
Tourer

I had a relatively minor accident last year but it could have been much worse. Although I managed to ride away from the crash, the fear kicked in the next time I rode.

I managed to push my way through it but it was rough. In retrospect, I should have eased my way back into the saddle by being calm and focusing on restoring my confidence by practicing fundamental riding skills in a parking lot. That would have been a lot better in initially restoring my awareness, bike control, and confidence.

Decades ago, my dad got the fear after a half-ton pulled out in front of him, nearly causing a T-bone situation. Not being trained, dad dumped his bike to avoid the collision. He has never ridden since.

Old 04-06-2010 | 11:05 AM
keith_stepp
Banned

The best advice I have gotten so far is:

"Whenever you swing a leg over your motorcycle, you need to be prepared to be in an accident. There are two kinds of riders; those that have wrecked and those that will wreck."

This is why I tend to wear all the gear all the time (for the most part). A good set of gear will go a long way towards helping you survive an accident. Keep in mind that the majority of motorcycle accidents are single vehicle accidents and are very survivable if you are wearing your gear.

An important lesson here though that people tend to over look is the psychological part of that advice. If you are not emotionally prepared to be in an accident, then you will not ride confidently and therefore you will not ride safely. You cannot ride in constant fear and with feelings of anxiety. You need to be relaxed, confident, and in control of your self and the situations you find your self in.

If you feel any doubts, or fears, or anxiety... do yourself and everyone around you a favor... stay off the bike. If you want to keep riding, then go take an advanced riding course, or do something that will build your confidence back up, but in a controlled environment, until you are ready again to face real world riding conditions.

Life is all about risks and rewards though. If the rewards do not outweigh the risks, then don't do it. Simple.

Old 04-06-2010 | 11:21 AM
hawg08
Road Master

I had a guy tell me one time that as long as you stay "just a little bit scared" when you ride you'll probably be fine. He allowed that when you think you're good at it and start taking chances **** happens. I figure that if you're scared or worry about all the things that could happen to you in the course of a day then you'd just be sitting in a dark room, nekid, drinking distilled water and never go out. Stick with it...I believe we ALL have concerns from time to time.

Old 04-06-2010 | 11:59 AM
KingCripps
Tourer
Default Anything can kill you

Sex can kill you,
Skydiving can kill you,
Scuba diving can kill you,
Eating can kill you,
Doing nothing can kill you.

Its what makes you LIVE that is important.

If you don't have fun riding, give it up and find something that you do enjoy.

Old 04-06-2010 | 12:19 PM
RoadKingLou
Cruiser

Take it easy bro. You have to ride confident not scared. Be alert and watch for morons is the best we can do.

Quick Reply: i am a little nervous about riding anymore