Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i am a little nervous about riding anymore

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010 | 08:27 AM
Carmell RKC
Road Captain

Ride confident and own the road. Never assume the morons in cages see you. Above all, EYES OPEN ! Dont ride in a daze or your mind pre occupied, that will get you nailed.

Old 04-06-2010 | 08:28 AM
Bogart
Novice

Phurion, great well stated answer.

Old 04-06-2010 | 08:28 AM
soundman
Road Captain

I believe that probably a majority of accidents involving bike could have been avoided. Sure there are those cases where it couldn't have been avoided, but I see lots of bikers putting themselves in bad positions all the time due to poor habits.

Old 04-06-2010 | 08:46 AM
SixSixRider
Club Member

I agree with everything said. Simply summarized: do what you love and do it smartly.

I've shared this thread with my wife. She is trying another risky hobby - flying. She's finished flight school and has been taking lessons for weeks. We was given an attempt to solo this past Saturday, took a hard bounce on the landing and snapped the nose wheel! She guided the plane to a safe stop but was shaken. Just like here, she is questioning her passion and need to fly. I hopeful that the perspectives shared here will help her see a way forward.

Old 04-06-2010 | 08:57 AM
Harpoonman
Club Member

OK, I do not normally make a post without reading what everyone is saying..... But anyway...~~~

When I first started riding at age 19, a wise man ( co-worker ) told me. Ride like everything that is not two wheels is out to kill you !!! and you will be fine. When you feel like you're the best rider around... SELL it !! cuz you're gonna get careless and die.

Except for one ocassion, that theory has worked well for me for the past 34 years.

Ride if you want to, sell it if you are scared. What ever makes you comfortable.

Old 04-06-2010 | 09:23 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member

Sounds like you need to take a break from riding. You can't enjoy it being scared all the time.
If you don't miss it after a few months, then sell it.

I would get out of motorcycles for a while, then 6 months later I just drooled over everyone I saw and bought back in. I did this about three times. Then one day I didn't care anymore and seeing other bikes didn't bother me. It didn't bother me for a long long time.

Then about 10 years ago I wanted one, every time I met one on the highway. I am now in love again. I just needed a break, I guess.

Old 04-06-2010 | 09:23 AM
sucherman
Club Member

you have to LIVE to ride, so ride to LIVE !!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-06-2010 | 09:33 AM
2DEUCE2
Road Master

I think you have to ride with some degree of fear to ride safe. If your not afraid, then you will ride like a squid. Don't let it overpower you though... that could cause hesitation, tunnel vision or a serious death grip on the handlebars that will transfer over to a severe overreaction with brake application. All of those things will add up to bad riding which will either hurt you or scare you into thinking that it will never get any better and it just isn't for you. Hell, go putt around an empty parking lot one day just to get your confidence back.

I know how you feel, I think it runs through all of our minds every once in a while. For me, I have a hard time relaxing on rides through L.A. traffic on the freeways with my wife. I try and have her lead so I can watch her and honk at yahoo's that are merging into her, but sometimes the traffic is so bad that we split lanes for a spell to exit for the surface streets and then she doesn't like that and wants me to lead so she can see my line. Her theory is if my bike can make it, so can hers. Makes me crazy though, I can split lanes all day but when she is behind me I can't stand it. I would rather be hospitalized than to ever have to see her in any pain.

Old 04-06-2010 | 09:44 AM
confused
Road Captain

One thing I have learned while riding is that you can predict what someone is going to do. As you are going down the road and see everyone ahead in the left lane trying to get in the right lane that should alert you that those cars ahead are frustrated or something. Be prepared, don't come into that mess and find yourself boxed in. Chances are everyone trying to get right was because some female was yaking away on her cell phone driving like she owns the road. Be aware of your surroundings, don't get sandwiched in between a bunch of cars. Always have an out. Remember cage drivers are doing several things that distract them, radio, cell phone, etc... I have been riding and well see traffic ahead and you can tell that a driver is trying to get over to pass, but no one is letting them in, so at one point they are going to just go for it, be prepared cause when they look and when they go you are now in their blind spot and you will get tagged. And if you have no choice and you end up in someone's blind spot be ready. Give yourself an out.

Good luck

Old 04-06-2010 | 09:44 AM
sgnden
Road Master

Originally Posted by Route66rider
Just common sense, but here are a couple of things I do:
Always watch your "6" when travelling down the road and when sitting at a stop light while leaving a car length ahead of you for escape space.
Never be the first off the line when the light changes.
Always check left and right (twice) when crossing a multi-lane intersection.
Watch the driver and the car wheels when meeting a car on a two lane road.
Expect the average "cage" operator to be an idiot.
Do NOT tailgate anyone, especially big rigs.
When in doubt, shoot!
OOPS! Skip that last one, wrong forum!
+1 There ya have it. Good advice...especially the last point. ;^)

Quick Reply: i am a little nervous about riding anymore