Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i am a little nervous about riding anymore

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010 | 06:58 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member

You're the only one that can decide if your nerves will let you continue riding. I can tell you that your buddy made a mistake. The guy at the stop sign may have *looked* like he was going to stop, but your buddy (& you) should have expected that he "could" run the sign. It's not inconvenient to plan on everyone else doing the wrong thing, it's *necessary*! Doesn't even matter if you're on the bike. Having "the right-of-way" is pretty unimportant in the hospital & repair shop.

I find the answer pretty simple. I'm just as cautious in a car/truck as I am on the bike. I'm actually more comfortable on the bike, but the caution is part of the price of operating a vehicle on public roads. A small car isn't much safer, so the only thing I can think of to improve your safety would be a large truck/suv. Just doesn't seem worth it.

Good luck deciding what is right for you.

Old 04-06-2010 | 07:01 AM
nevets61
Road Master

Life itself is a RISK, you take a chance of dying everyday you wake up. If you think about it you probably face the same idiots and situations when in a cage, you just may not take note as much as you feel more protected. Like others have said, pay more attention to your safe zone, always be prepared for the idiot who isn't. You can't give up on the things you enjoy at the risk of something going wrong, if you do you might as well stay in bed and hope the ceiling doesn't fall on you, hope the food you eat is safe, and trust that your body will last forever. Trust me, it won't... enjoy it while you still can....

Old 04-06-2010 | 07:10 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member

Good Advise has been given here .. Just Relax and figure they are all out to get you and enjoy the ride anyway .. Every Ride is a good ride you walk away from at the end and have enjoyed ... Even if a few tried to ruin in it for you ..

Old 04-06-2010 | 07:10 AM
Anthony8858
Road Master

I had one of those days yesterday. The weather here in NY was exceptionally nice, and everyone seemed to be out.

I had two "close calls", and decided that it was time to pull over, grab a bite to eat, relax, and let about an hour pass, before getting back on.

My best advice is to get off the bike and regroup....even for just an hour.

Old 04-06-2010 | 07:18 AM
STUNU
|
Tourer

GUYS THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE COMMENTS AND ADVICE I DONT WANT TO GIVE IT UP AT ALL... i love to ride and love to ride with my wife, iam bye no means a (kitty kat) if you know what i mean if my wife wasnt with me i would have probably chased the azzhole down but thats not always the best policy im very careful i have been out riding since then just nervous thats all, and thanks again for all the comments its nice to hear others thoughts ride safe

Old 04-06-2010 | 07:47 AM
rweber70
1st Gear

guys i had ajeep pull out in front of me 3weeks ago .ihad about 10 feet to react i was in the left lane car beside me in right lane turned right girl in jeep blew stop sighn right out in front of me broken wrist shoulder sever lash to forearm thank god im alive . ive struggled about ridding again but im gonna try to stare fear in the eye and go again ijust cant face quiteing somthing i love so much

Old 04-06-2010 | 08:03 AM
True Grit
Cruiser

I think a little bit of nerves keeps me on my toes.
I assume no other driver sees me. I stay out of blind spots. I dont tailgate or get to close , I know i must allow time to stop. Intersections are always dangerous and i do not proceed until i see that all cagers have stopped. Never assume cager will stop. I will get flamed for this, but i avoid riding at night and have little need or desire to get on very busy highways.

Old 04-06-2010 | 08:18 AM
electra glide
Road Captain

I feel ya. Only out once this year and a girl on her phone almost hits me, and an hour later my Scraeder valve comes out of my front tire on the highway, 1st day out. I have an 8 mo. old, so the wife and I decide to start wearing helmets all the time now, but should we just hang it up, buy a boat, I may one day man. I've already been hit once from behind while I was standing still, and this Schraeder valve incident has happened twice now. How many lives do I have? And I don't care how cautious you are, or how skilled you are, it can happen.

Old 04-06-2010 | 08:21 AM
strtarrow
Banned

It is a given that stupid happens and too many times it is the rider who is at fault by either not using enough caution or just plain being stupid. That we can help. We can not control what cars/trucks will do and can only do our best to feel as though we are targets as if at a firing range. Be careful and enjoy the ride. Nobody wants to go out on their bike but I would prefer that over a million alternatives.

Old 04-06-2010 | 08:25 AM
ddm502001
Road Warrior

I agree with Route66rider, keep your head on a swivel and keep thinking on the alternate path for a quick escape. He makes good points as to how I too ride, always on the defensive for the cager that does not look or see me. Can't beat them all but we can minimize the trauma.

Quick Reply: i am a little nervous about riding anymore