Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike won't start..no power.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 08:08 PM
clayharley
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike won't start..no power.

Ok, I have a 01 Road King and I was draining the fuel from the tank for another issue I have going on, but the manual says to start the bike and run it until it runs all the gas out. So I hooked the battery back up and nothing...no power. I look at all the fuses on the left side and none are blown and the battery is fully charged. Any ideas because I have no idea. Thanks

Old 04-05-2010, 08:54 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,235 Likes on 1,848 Posts

Originally Posted by clayharley
... but the manual says to start the bike and run it until it runs all the gas out.
What manual said that? You didn't by chance pull the maxi fuse and forget that you did?

Old 04-05-2010, 10:00 PM
clayharley
Advanced

I need to replace one of the fuel lines from one of the quick connectors because it was leaking and I tried getting to it without removing the tank, but there was no room. So the procedure in the manual, I think page 9-20 something, it says to drain the take first which I did and I messed with no fuses and now nothing. So I don't know what happen.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:52 AM
ucommbxny
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you unplug any wires

Old 04-06-2010, 06:41 AM
clayharley
Advanced

No I didn't unplug anything. The only thing I can think of that could've happened is when I was pulling up on the back of the tank could I have unplugged anything from under the tank? I unplugged the fuel pump, but I made sure that was plugged back in. Are there any other fuses that couldn've blown besides what's on the left side? I have no idea....please help!

Old 04-06-2010, 10:01 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Double-check the fuel pump connector; it's very easy to bend a pin and the connector will seem like it's connected properly but isn't due to the bent pin.

Also, don't know about your '01, but there is a separate fuse block for the fuel pump under the right side cover by the ECM.

Carl

Old 04-06-2010, 10:25 AM
clayharley
Advanced

But wouldn't I have some kind of power when turning the key? When I turn it to the ignition there is no lights or anything. It seems like no power at all.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:57 AM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turn the key on, start moving wires around the battery terminal, negative ground to the frame, and starter. See if there are any loose connections. Keep looking to see if you get a neutral light or anything that shows you found the problem.

An 01 is old enough to have some corrosion building up in these connections and should be cleaned with a wire brush and installed using some dielectric grease to coat them.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:44 AM
clayharley
Advanced

Yea, I was doing that last night and actually the connectors are pretty clean. I called the dealer and all he said was to check the fuses which I did check the ones on the left, but if there are any other fuses I missed I don't know. I guess I should add that this all started when I was draining the tank and sad to say gas got everwhere, but mainly toward the front of the bike at the crossover hose. Could I have shorted something out?

Last edited by clayharley; 04-06-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:59 AM
cbrenthus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,639 Likes on 681 Posts

When it comes to trouble shotting, I do simple stuff first and more difficult later. Even though you may know the simple stuff is not the problem, you still want to double check them. So, for the simple stuff, how do you know the battery is charged? Put a meter on it and make sure it has more than 12 volts. The second simple thing is to double check the that the battery is not installed backwards. The 3rd is the run/stop switch, but you'd probably still have lights if that was it.

Now, once the simple stuff is confirmed, I would go to the most likely part. On my Road King (and I'm pretty sure yours too) the ignition is on top of the tank. I would think you pulled something loose with that circuit. I would start at the ignition, and follow the wires back into the bike, checking voltage and continuity along the way.

Quick Reply: Bike won't start..no power.