Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Security key icon on while rideing

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 06:05 AM
les63
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check for codes

Old 04-04-2010, 10:49 AM
rleggs
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by les63
check for codes
Checked for codes, none stored. All the bulbs are working and the only add on as far as electrical is the unit that makes your turnsignals work as brake/runing lights from HD. No problems with security unit so far today, so I have to wonder if mabie I was zapped by a radar gun or somebody had an electronic something that set it off. I'll backburner the problem unless it recurrs and then turn it over to the dealer as warranty related. Thanks for your input.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:04 AM
Donnylee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 856 Likes on 297 Posts

If you have your fob in your Pants or leather coat pocket, and can temporarily loose or block signal with your bike. I have had it happen on my 2008 intermittantly when I have had the fob covered by clothing. Even though your FOB is only a year old you might want to replace the battery in it. If it is getting weak, it may not have a strong signal back to the alarm. As I have said, it happenned a few times, and that was the condition it happenned with me. I replaced the battery and it has never really done it since.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:22 AM
Harmon01
Intermediate

I just had the same thing happen last evening on my 07 RK. System key icon light came on and stayed on for about 5 minutes then went out. I was only a couple miles from home. Got home and turned it off, restarted, light came on then went out. However, neither of my rear turn signals are working. I also have the upgrade on the rear turn signals that stay illuminated and also signal as stop and turn. Dealer installed when new and no problems in 3+ years until last night. Been searching through threads here and can't seem to find a solution. I need to get my turn signals working since my inspection is due this month.
Any further thoughts?
Thanks.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:29 AM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get rid of that alarm and just use your key to lock the ignition.

Replace the TSSM with a TSM.

Last edited by BoomerBob; 04-16-2010 at 08:31 AM.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:12 PM
hyfly1
Cruiser

I had a similar issue last summer. I first noticed it the day after I had ridden for several hours in heavy rain. It went away after a few days drying out and never came back. I never found out the cause. I later acquired some service manuals. According to my Electrical Diagnostics Manual, if the security lamp fails to turn OFF after the initial four-second period, a problem exists in the instrumentation. You can run a "WOW" test (if you haven't already) by the following procedure: Press and hold trip odometer reset switch, then turn ignition switch ON. Release trip odometer reset switch. Background lighting should illuminate, guage needle should sweep its full range of motion, and indicator lamps (check engine, low fuel, battery and security) should illuminate. If the instrument module fails "WOW" test, check for battery, ground, ignition, trip odometer reset switch and accessory wiring to speedometer.

I am surprised you did not get any codes. You may want to check that again. The bike will store a fault code for 50 start cycles.