Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screw in front tire?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010 | 09:24 AM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Retrop
Harley dealers will never patch a tire, even if all you have is a sandbur in the exterior of the tread. Of course, they want to sell you a new tire too, so we all know where their motivation is.
No reputable shop will repair a motorcycle tire intended for the street, the motivation is not just that they want to sell you a new tire, the motivation is a little thing call LIABILITY. If they repair a tire and you crash ond die guess which side the courts are gonna rule in favor of?

Personally Ive plugged many rear tires for my self and a few freinds, it would depend on how much tread was left if I would plug a front.

Old 04-04-2010 | 09:24 AM
BeeRAD56
Road Warrior

Years ago a pro road racer made a comment that has always stuck with me and that is "there are two things keeping your *** off the pavement and that is the front and rear tire. Always make sure they are in the best shape possible."

I picked up a nail a few years back and had a rear go down quick at highway speeds and it got ugly in a hurry. I know smaller holes (not in the sidewall) can be plugged successfully but after my experience I would replace the tire. IMO, cheap compared to the opportunity cost of some of the possible alternatives.

Old 04-04-2010 | 10:03 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member

If you can afford it, buy a new tire. It's your skin and maybe your wife skin too.
If you can't afford it, plug it. Maybe you'll be fine. But I don't do maybe when it concerns me and the wife.

Old 04-04-2010 | 10:09 AM
08HD
|
Road Captain

We patch and plug tires on cars and bicycles...but when it comes to motorcycles I guess it's another standard. Good thing for me I have a riding buddy who changed out his stock tires when his rear one wore down. His front tire still had considerable tread left on it and he is giving it to me
It sure is good to have riding buds...I am still considering having the tire with the nail plugged and stored, maybe

Old 04-04-2010 | 10:50 AM
KingCripps
Tourer

Its bad enough watching out for everyone else that wants to kill you without trying to do it yourself. I have replaced almost new tires on bikes just to have less chance of a blowout. I am a person that takes reasonable risks and consider myself a biker, not "motorcycle enthusiast".