Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screw in front tire?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010 | 11:42 AM
HalfFast
Road Warrior

Replace the tire? Replace both tires? You folks amaze me. If the tire is in good shape other than the screw, I would plug it and ride on.

Old 04-04-2010 | 02:59 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member

it's your choice, obviously, and you're looking for opinions. i can understand the rationale for replacing the tire, which it might be time to just bite the bullet and do it the right and safe way rather than risking a serious problem. imagine if you got it repaired, and then it somehow failed. safety would make this a no brainer. a crash would cost a whole lot more than a new tire.

Old 04-04-2010 | 04:02 AM
Harleyboyddk
Road Master

I drive gasoline tankers and ride two bikes. Tires in perfect condition are a must. Just be glad you can get it fixed at your convienence, rather than out nowhere at night with no cell coverage and poor weather.

Old 04-04-2010 | 08:09 AM
Chainman
Tourer

New tire. Do you happen to have the Harley wheel and tire replacement insurance that they offer when you buy a new bike? If so it would pay for itself about now new tire free.

Old 04-04-2010 | 08:32 AM
tlb
Elite HDF Member

On the back I would say plug it. On the front, I guess it depends if you are risk averse, if you are, then replace it.
Looking at your scoot as an age indicator, my money is on you replacing it.

Old 04-04-2010 | 08:44 AM
FXSTS-88
Road Master

Replace it!
Tires are cheap compared to having a blowout!

Old 04-04-2010 | 09:01 AM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member

You will get as many opinions on this as there are readers. Kind of like asking what oil is best or what motorcycle is best. Also, Harley riders tend to be a little paranoid when it comes to tires and safety. Maybe because of their age, not really sure. If the hole is in the middle of the tire and the screw or nail can be removed without it tearing up the casing of the tire, I would patch it from the inside of the tire. I might put a plug in it just to get me home but the next day it would get a good inside patch. There is no reason a good inside patch job would not be safe. But remember that the paranoid among us will just view any kind of a patch as a potential reason for a catastrophy or loss. The government is full of bureaucrats who are all paranoid. They fear being accused of something that they can not explain or pass off on someone else. That is why we have $600.00 screwdrivers and $4000.00 commode seats. Harley dealers will never patch a tire, even if all you have is a sandbur in the exterior of the tread. Of course, they want to sell you a new tire too, so we all know where their motivation is.
If the hole was into the sidewall of the tire, time to bite the bullet (or tire) and purchase a new skin. Maybe buy tire insurance next time.

Old 04-04-2010 | 09:03 AM
tn_cgl
6th Gear

Call me crazy, but I put about 10K on my last front tire with two plugs in it. Wife had dropped some finishing nails in the driveway and I picked up two within a week. Have the StopNGo plug kit and they held up great. No long distance rides to speak of just the daily 36 mile roundtrip to work and back.

Old 04-04-2010 | 09:05 AM
ironhead3fan
Road Master

How about putting a tube in the front tire?

Old 04-04-2010 | 09:10 AM
SuperAir
Advanced

Originally Posted by Retrop
Harley dealers will never patch a tire, even if all you have is a sandbur in the exterior of the tread. Of course, they want to sell you a new tire too, so we all know where their motivation is.
Or perhaps their motivation for not doing it is CYA. You know who the first person is going to be who gets the blame stuck on them if there is a problem right? I have sold tires to customers only to have them come back in within a few hundred miles with a nail/screw. If the tire is that new, I usually sell them a new one for cost and mount it for free. I do not/ will not repair tires at my shop, front or rear. Do I think it's unsafe? Depends. Do I think it's a liability for me? Absolutely.

Quick Reply: Screw in front tire?