Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem After SE 255 Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 04:02 AM
1sweetglide08
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Problem After SE 255 Install

I have a 2008 StreetGlide with SE Stage 1 ac, V&H dresser duals and monster ovals. For fuel manangment I'm using a PC-V from FuelMoto with a map sent from Jamie for my setup with the SE 255 cams. Since having the SE 255 cams installed my bike seems to stall after about 30 min. of riding, when engine temp is hot. It rides fine while riding but when I stop at a traffic light the rpm's drop below 1000 and the engine stalls. I have to keep the thottle turned a bit to prevent it from stalling. One time just before it stalled a puff of black smoke came from the a/c. Just wondering if you guys think I need another map or what do I need to do to stop it from stalling?

Old 04-03-2010, 04:31 AM
HD101st
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am no expert but my opinion is to maybe check your pcv near the idle I personally with all the add ons you have would buy a auto tune kit for the pcv and let the bike retune itself and see if that will not cure it but thats where i would look

Old 04-03-2010, 05:31 AM
rodeking
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had to set my fuel table at -25 on #1 (front) and -27 on @2 (rear) @ the 0 throttle position in the 750, 1000, and 1250 rpm range to get my build to idle. Even AT does not work in the 0 TP. You might play with it a bit and hit a sweet spot. Backfire through intake usually = lean, so maybe you need to add a bit of fuel at 0 TP. But since it does it when hot, My guess it is rich. Just plug in to your PC and change the fuel untill it idles properly. Mine would not idle and was very hard to start when hot untill I adjusted the 0 TP.

Last edited by rodeking; 04-03-2010 at 09:26 AM.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:24 AM
1sweetglide08
Outstanding HDF Member

Hopefully Jamie at FuelMoto can walk me throught at resetting the idle table.

Old 04-03-2010, 04:05 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by rodeking
I had to set my fuel table at -25 on #1 (front) and -27 on @2 (rear) @ the 0 throttle position in the 750, 1000, and 1250 rpm range to get my build to idle. Even AT does not work in the 0 TP.
Most of FM's maps have zeros at and near idle at 0% TP, so if you need more or less fuel you'll have to find the sweet spot. Since the OP's problem surfaces when hot I would assume it is an over-rich issue as you already mentioned, so I would try going down -5 at a time at 0% @ 750 and 1000 RPM's. If it runs worse you are obviously going in the wrong direction, so in that case go +5, etc.

In my usual way of overkilling everything I would probably move in increments of 1 until it ran poorly in the opposite direction, then use a value somewhere in the middle. You can actually do this very rapidly by using the computer's insert and page-up and page-down keys. Page-up takes the value richer and page-down leaner in increments of 1% and the insert key inserts it in the PCV while the bike is running. You could nail down that sweet spot rapidly. You'll also have to do the same thing on the other cylinder.

I had a similar issue after installing 255 cams, but mine involved an over-rich condition just above idle that made the exhaust smell like raw gas upon decel at around 1500 RPM's and 0% TP. This is not the fault of the PCV, but is the way the cams interact with the MAP sensor that requires a change to the base map.

For AT owners, DJ recommends no Target AFR's be set at 0% TP, but you can do it and I set mine to 14.5 temporarily, long enough to establish some trim values after a short ride. Since this a decel-only area of the table I see no reason to program anything richer there unless you get decel popping. I then placed those trim values in the base map and returned the Target AFR values back to zero in those cells. After doing this you must clear trims, as not doing so will retain the trim values which will double the effect, which is not a good thing. You can't change trim values manually, so the only way to clear those cells is to "clear trims," meaning your trim tables are starting from scratch. No big deal, really, as they'll re-create themselves soon enough.

Last edited by iclick; 04-03-2010 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:20 PM
hornhonker
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A dumb question, but you did disconnect the O2 sensors I hope ??

Old 04-03-2010, 08:52 PM
1sweetglide08
Outstanding HDF Member

Yes O2 sensor were dissconnted..but when the dealer was finish with the install one of the O2 eliminators was missing on one the the O2 sensors. The dealer said it was ok to have only one eliminator on.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:28 PM
Chimp
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking the dealer is drunk. I can't believe it's ok to have only one eliminator attached. The other cylinder is going to have an open circuit and that can't be a good thing. Though I will say i'm not sure how the ECM is going to handle that condition, but i'm guessing it's going to view it as "really lean", "really rich", or as an error. Is your bike showing any codes?

Old 04-03-2010, 10:09 PM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

>>dealer said it was ok to have only one eliminator on.<<

WRONG!!!

Old 04-03-2010, 10:34 PM
1sweetglide08
Outstanding HDF Member

No codes showing...maybe this could be making my bike stall when hot...rides fine untill engine get warmed up..then it starts to idle low and wants to stall...also black smokes came out of the ac once before stalling.

Quick Reply: Problem After SE 255 Install