Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve Stems, almost went down today for the second time.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 02:28 AM
DanD
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the metal stems in both cast wheels,never had a problem.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:36 AM
julesdain
Road Captain

Received 99 Likes on 62 Posts

Great thread. I also have never given the stems a second thought except that they're hard to get at to put air in.
Thanks for the excellent info!

Old 04-04-2010, 12:55 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

How the hell do you hear air leaking out of a valve stem doing 75 mph going down the road? Seriously, you heard air leaking?

Old 04-04-2010, 08:15 PM
electra glide
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I heard something, of course I can't swear it was air leaking, out of a valve stem, with 38-40 lbs of pressure behind it, which would be about like the hose of an air compressor, which yeah, I would have to say could be heard at 75 mph. Apparantly you don't think so, and I don't care. Now , For those who have been helpful on this thread here's what I've come up w/ so far. I found a new shop, they will inspect and remount the tire if it's good, balance it, install an inner tube, which they say they do all the time and recommend it as added insurance. They don't feel the rubber valvr stem is inadequate, but do agree, as many, that the metal ones are superior to them, and will top it off w/ the metal caps w/ seals. I did have a metal cap on there, but I'm not sure it had a seal in it or not, I'll check the matching back one to see and let you know. I know the first time it happened, it was a plastic one. A couple of guesses are that possibly the core or the stem was stripped, causing it to come loose both times. Also, I'm looking forward to having the wheels balanced. I swear that bike rode better before when they were, why wouldn't it? You can bet I'll buy a core tool and check these from time to time. Thanx for all the info and suggestions, I've learned something from the experience, and a lot of great info here on the forums as usual, oh yeah, and one smart ***, but that's typical. Thanx.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:19 PM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, count me too as a smartass cause there ain't no way anyone is gonna hear a stem leak air at hwy speed.......Other than that, this was a good thread cause it does happen and perhaps folks will pay more attention to their valve stems.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:42 PM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by electra glide
A couple of guesses are that possibly the core or the stem was stripped, causing it to come loose both times.
I think you've hit the nail on the head. Nothing else makes sense. Be sure to have the mechanic change out the core. Better still, learn how to mount your own tires so you won't have to wonder whether someone else knows what they are doing.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:06 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Scrooge
I think you've hit the nail on the head. Nothing else makes sense. Be sure to have the mechanic change out the core. Better still, learn how to mount your own tires so you won't have to wonder whether someone else knows what they are doing.
I would change out the whole stem, not just the core.

The stainless steel caps are available at AutoZone or Advance Auto Parts for about $5 a pair. It has the 6 sides to it, like a nut, about 3/8" size. I run them on EVERYTHING. They have the gaskets inside too. I have run them on lawnmowers with NO CORE, and they held. I wouldn't advise it, I'm just giving an example. They are that good.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:02 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member

Motorcycle valve stems are shorter then standard valve stems. I always run the steel valve stem caps with the wrench flats and O ring built in.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:25 AM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by RANDYDOWDY
I would change out the whole stem, not just the core.
Of course you are right, Randy. That's what I meant. My fingers got ahead of my brain.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:04 PM
Artlee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went out and bought a fourpak of metal caps ( 3.50 at VIP ) that have a rubber gasket inside. The top of the cap has post coming off it that is spit down the middle. You can loosen or tighten the valve core with the post and or put a slotted screwdriver on it to loosen the cap. Thanks for the tip/s everybody!

Quick Reply: Valve Stems, almost went down today for the second time.