Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side car for the 06 street glide

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 09:54 AM
Mikebiker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Side car for the 06 street glide

Bike/sidecars ARE differant to ride. For what it sounds like it would cost to modify your SG you could buy a new URAL. Top model goes for around $8.000. Russian made BMW clone it makes a nice 2nd Bike. Mine's black, easy to work on, and I can get both daughters on it for a family outing.

Old 08-06-2006, 11:12 AM
asuperheat
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wife rides a goldwing trike put the kit on myself my 2 year old rides every where and loves it usualy the one saying lets ride the motorcycles but we have a lot of back roads to ride here no city riding for him. mabe see if she would like a trike then you keep 2 wheels we did and we are both very happy.

Old 08-06-2006, 11:37 AM
mndemohead
Tourer

Not sure why everyone is making such a huge dealer about needing to ad power to pull a sidecar, I have a friend with one on an ultra with a stock motor and it does just fine. Hes not gonna be winning any races but for your normal rides its fine. Think about how many people pull trailers with their bikes, you cant tell me that everyone pulling a trailer or sidecar is putting a bigger engine in their bike to do it. It does totally change the way the bike reacts under all circumstances, but I would be more inclined to improve the braking on the bike with a sidecar than I would worry about needing more power. As far as kids on bikes, to each his own. My daughter has been riding with me since she was 5 years old. My 3 year old son is begging to go with but I am making him hold off for a couple of years.

Old 08-06-2006, 11:53 AM
Kufar
6th Gear

OK. my next question is are they quickly connected / disconnected? I would not want it to be a permanent attachment...I would want to take it off when I don't have the boys with me. So is there a qick connector for it and would my SG need a lot of modification done to it?

Old 08-13-2006, 10:37 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

ORIGINAL: mndemohead

Not sure why everyone is making such a huge dealer about needing to ad power to pull a sidecar,
My friend's EVO did not do okay with a stock motor. He tried gear changes, sprocket changes and other means before he finally got a big engine. His had to be in 4th gear most of the time.

As far as pulling trailers, I think you will find that they are usually lighter, even loaded, than the 350# sidecars are, and they are behind the bike so there is less extra wind drag. They also have very light tongue weight and do not add a lot of weight to the bike.

Even with a trailer, I would add power. I had two different friends that burned up EVO WideGlides while pulling trailers to Sturgis.

As far as added braking with a sidecar, they have extra braking. The sidecar has its own brake on the sidecar wheel.

Regards,

Bill

Old 08-13-2006, 10:41 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Bill,

You will find that the sidecar is not really a quick detach situation. In addition to getting the mounting frame detached from the bike, you also have to take brake lines loose. When you put the car back on, you have to insure that the brakes are re-connected and bled, and that the car is properly aligned.

It takes my friend at least 30 minutes to take off and 45 minutes to an hour to get it back on.

Hope this infor helps with your decision.

Regards,

Bill

Old 10-19-2007, 03:59 PM
Silverbeard
Intermediate

Sidecar or trailer, that is the question. Both have advantages and yet both have disadvantages. Towing a trailer seems to be a safety issue withHD and insurance companies. I called HD headquarters about trailering, I was given the "lawyerisms" and page in manual saying,"using a trailer....." voids warrenty.The 06FLHTCUIwas purchased for numerous reasons but main reason is thelong distance touring and to me towing a trailer and or having a hack along side just go hand and hand. Power when considering either option is a must address issue. Some riders out theresay, "yes more lower torque needed" while others say, "ride pulled just fine." Maybe it is a location thing but here in the land of the Rocky Mountains, lower torque and power for pulling is desireable. Stage 1 won't do it so I am told.Towing a trailer,is dangerous then again many years ago I do recall my mothertell memotorcyles are dangerous.I replied, "so is driving the tractor."All in all, ouraging riders like meare looking for safer rides which is whythe popularity of trikes and sidecars have taken the forefront of late. HD listened to the numerous surveys about trikes andthe proof is at your local dealership. For now I will putt down the highway on two wheels then one day, there will be either a hack or trike under the butt. Until then, one is looking for the whys and why nots to towing a trailer.

Old 10-19-2007, 04:26 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I have been contemplating this for my wife. These guys seem to be a valid option.

www.libertysidecars.com

Seem like they know their stuff.

Keep two on the ground always.

John

Old 10-19-2007, 07:01 PM
bobros
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO, kids are too valuable to on a bike with all the crazy cagers out there. Not worth the risk.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:06 PM
Abnmarine
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: leicafish

I have been contemplating this for my wife. These guys seem to be a valid option.

www.libertysidecars.com

Seem like they know their stuff.

Keep two on the ground always.

John
That is who I will be buying mine from next year. I'll also have them rake the forks to make the steering easier. They have a nice setup. Here is a rear pic of one on a FLHX.

Quick Reply: Side car for the 06 street glide