Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer warning on PCV

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 05:07 PM
MIbagger
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer warning on PCV

Went to the dealer to have the service bulletins for the tank brace and the ABS recalibration done. Service manager comes up and to me 15 min after they take bike in. He says that we see you have a PCV, we don't care that you have it but if they had plugged their Digital Tech in with it connected it could have flagged my VIN in the HD system. He tells me that the DT sends info on bike directly back to factory and that if it had detected the PCV it would black list my VIN in the HD system and you know the rest if I have an electrical issue it would not cover it under warranty. Anyone else ever gotten this story from the dealer? Am I on double secret probation now? Barring any other recall work my bike probably won't be in for anything anyhow.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:23 PM
redhwk44
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats funny. When I bought my '10 Ultra they tried to talk me into a SERT which I didn't want. For 10 minutes this guy goes on about how great it is, I finally told him that I might try a PCV. I can't quote his exact words but they were something like " I wouldn't recommend the PCV, it could void your warranty." I told him I had used 1 for 4 years on my RKC and loved it. When he saw he wasn't going to get me to buy the SERT he floored me with " Do you want to buy the PCV from us?" I actually laughed in his face. I finally had to tell the sales manager that if he didn't keep this joker away from me he would lose the sale.
I will be interested in what you find out with this thread. Afterall how can they sale you a part on a brand new bike ( as in my case) and then not warranty it?

Old 04-02-2010, 05:27 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 74,965 Likes on 22,550 Posts

I guess that gives your chickenshit dealer an insurance/blanket policy then huh on all your electical? What Bullshit!!

It would have to be proven that the PC-V was the factor in the the malfunction/failure, otherwise it's still on them.

They're just jealous that they do not have the technology to do that with their Sert or Sest or Lust or whatever the fok.

They would rather bend you over for $150, a simple 10 plug in and then give you some "gotta dyno your bike" bullshit to get it tuned at the rate of $80 dollars an hour for a minimum of 2 hours.

It wasn't bad enough to have to pay $20 K plus for the bike that runs like **** stock...

Fok them. Greedy theives!!

Old 04-02-2010, 06:26 PM
Sancho
Road Master

They always push their products and then hang the warranty issue over your head if you don't use their product. I had a dealer, svc writer, try to tell me the other day if I didn't use their oil it would void my warranty. Needless to say I told him he didn't know chit from Shinola. I bought some SE plug wires the other day and it said on the box 'use of this product could void your warranty'. They'll look for every reason in the world not to honor your warranty because it cost's the MOCO money when they do. Another reason I don't buy the extended warranty.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:30 PM
deanp1964
Road Master

me thinks your dealer is suspect at best.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:17 PM
SuperAir
Advanced

Originally Posted by MIbagger
Went to the dealer to have the service bulletins for the tank brace and the ABS recalibration done. Service manager comes up and to me 15 min after they take bike in. He says that we see you have a PCV, we don't care that you have it but if they had plugged their Digital Tech in with it connected it could have flagged my VIN in the HD system. He tells me that the DT sends info on bike directly back to factory and that if it had detected the PCV it would black list my VIN in the HD system and you know the rest if I have an electrical issue it would not cover it under warranty. Anyone else ever gotten this story from the dealer? Am I on double secret probation now? Barring any other recall work my bike probably won't be in for anything anyhow.
All you have to do is ask the service writer to put that statement in writing. That's usually the end of that nonsense. Magnasson Moss Act protects you from that BS and the burden of proof is on them. They are required to prove that any non oem installed part caused the failure in order to legally deny a claim, it is NOT up to you to prove that it did not. Find a new dealer.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:20 PM
XRider
Cruiser

Funny that..."double secret probation"...To that I'd say "Eat Me"...

Problem with the Magnuson Moss Act is that giant HD and their fat lawyers would deny it and you'd have to fight them even though they are supposed to prove that your mod. did the damage. Still costs you much time, money and grief in the end...

I think I would consider unhooking my PC-V and O2plugs on the way into the shop a block from the dealer...

I wonder what dynojet or fuelmoto says about this?

Old 04-02-2010, 08:32 PM
mphamrick
Road Warrior

I think it is BS also, but with that said that is why I stick with HD products. Granted I had the dealer install the Vance and Hines pipes but they told me there would be no issue with them.....

Old 04-02-2010, 08:36 PM
Clint55
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperAir
All you have to do is ask the service writer to put that statement in writing. That's usually the end of that nonsense. Magnasson Moss Act protects you from that BS and the burden of proof is on them. They are required to prove that any non oem installed part caused the failure in order to legally deny a claim, it is NOT up to you to prove that it did not. Find a new dealer.
Exactly!! My local dealer sells and installs PC's, trailer hitches, Rineharts, Amsoil, Timkin bearings etc,etc,etc. I have never heard of them denying a claim based only on aftermarket products.

I'd say find a new dealer or a good Indy.

Also, keep a small dairy on your bike and log in every service, every accessory install, every fluid check, tire pressure check and shock pressure check. Just takes a minute if you keep up on it and it looks REAL good if you ever have to fight a warranty claim.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:53 PM
FLS2FLH
Tourer

Kinda similar experience chatting with the owner of the dealership I bought my new bike from. Had some beefs with them after picking up the bike and thought it was worked out w/the service manager. Finally had to call the owner, and convo went to my first service (upcoming since some of the issues I have need to be address then). I told him I was bringing my own Amsoil for his guys to use. He first told me it would 'void the warranty' then restated - saying MoCo would test the oil if there were any warranty claim for engine or transmission damage and I run the risk of denying the claim. He also asked why I would use someone elses oil since the HD product was designed by HD. I wasn't going to get into the discussion with him on why my preference is not to use Syn3 because I knew it was a waste of air. I'm sure this discussion would have went the same way at 90% of all dealers. It's really the reason why so many of us don't even think twice about doing the basics ourselves, and going to a good indy for stuff that might be out of our personal scope. The dealerships that are supportive would get more service work - if they would just cut the righteous bullshit and be more open minded about their customer's wishes. In a down economy, and with dealerships struggling, you would think the prospect of more service work would be more appealing - guess not.

Quick Reply: Dealer warning on PCV