Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer warning on PCV

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 09:51 PM
MIbagger
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I figured right away the service manager was going to say something about warranty when he started in about the PCV. Then he also added how much better the SERT tuning was that they do. Like I would take off the PCV and say oh I guess I better have you tune my bike. But I guess the real interesting twist was the statement about the Digital Tech sending the information to the factory and black listing your VIN if they detect the a device like the PCV???

Old 04-02-2010, 09:54 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd be insulted that they think you're an idiot. Screw them!

Old 04-02-2010, 10:12 PM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

There is a HD dealer here in Missouri that recomends the PCV and installs them, they do the tuning or mapping as well...I will refrain from naming them lest the moco decides to punish them.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:14 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

First off why does anybody think ANY manufacturer, be it motorcycles, cars, boats, or dumptrucks,should honor a warranty when SOMEONE ELSES product was installed? If it was YOUR company and YOU were being asked to cover a warranty for an aftermarket part, YOU WOULNT EITHER!

Now that being said, any DECENT dealership that installs aftermarket pipes, cams, tuners WILL do what it takes to fix a problem, and not flag your VIN as soon as an issue arrises, UNLESS you come in being an a$$hole about it. Attitude WILL dictate service level.

I just replaced a tranny gear set under warranty, with tech services knowing that the customer runs BelRay.

NOBODY is looking for reasons to flag your VIN, its just plain stupid to think that way. The only time Ive seen a VIN flagged was on a customer that started throwing lawyer this and that around, it wasnt until we contacted MANY other dealers and found out that she had been flagged by every other dealer within 250 miles of us for the same BS.

Does the DT report bach to the MoCo? Yes it does. It sends VIN info and what was done to the bike WHILE it was hooked up. If you have an aftermerket tuner that doesnt allow it to read the VIN it has to be input manually. It doesnt ask or read that you have changed cams or what pipes are on it. It will show if it has had a SERT/SEST installed BUT that wont get yuor VIN flagged either!

Common sense people, the MoCo is NOT looking for ways to reduce the number of happy customers. They havent made it through 107 years by diliberately pissing people off!

Old 04-02-2010, 10:30 PM
Conehead
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was told the same thing but like hog doc says it's all in your presentation. Once I told them about the PCV they unplugged it and did the ABS upgrade and all was well, they did not hassle me at all.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:37 PM
Harley_RN
Road Captain

Originally Posted by hog-doc
First off why does anybody think ANY manufacturer, be it motorcycles, cars, boats, or dumptrucks,should honor a warranty when SOMEONE ELSES product was installed? If it was YOUR company and YOU were being asked to cover a warranty for an aftermarket part, YOU WOULNT EITHER!

Common sense people, the MoCo is NOT looking for ways to reduce the number of happy customers. They havent made it through 107 years by diliberately pissing people off!

Excellent viewpoint. Well spoken.

Thanks

Christian

Old 04-03-2010, 08:57 AM
Delooks
Novice
Default Morons at Stealership!

MIbagger - I had a similar dealer experience yesterday. Just got 2010 deluxe two weeks ago and prepaid for a security system to be installed later. Showed up and the service bonehead notices that I've got PCV, V&H Bigshots long, and big sucker. (Bought from fuel moto and installed myself) Starts lecturing me about how "he's seen 5 power commanders fry the factory ECM" and how the SERT is the only way to go blah blah blah.

I politely say that I'm not there to debate him and he is entitled to his opinion but I've already made my decision and I'm very happy with my set up. (BTW I have a degree in electrical engineering so I'm very well informed on how these products work) He then says: "I don't like your attitude! I'm not working on your bike." Guy is completely insane! I talk to the manager, tell him I want my money back and try to explain what a huge mistake him and this boneheaded service idiot are making by refusing to install the part for me.

It takes a special kind of moron to turn a prepaid customer into a sworn enemy! I will never step foot in this dealership again and will tell everyone I know to stay away as well! I was shocked and appalled by the way they treated me!

Old 04-03-2010, 09:02 AM
adlerx
Road Captain

Originally Posted by lionsm13
I guess that gives your chickenshit dealer an insurance/blanket policy then huh on all your electical? What Bullshit!!

It would have to be proven that the PC-V was the factor in the the malfunction/failure, otherwise it's still on them.

They're just jealous that they do not have the technology to do that with their Sert or Sest or Lust or whatever the fok.

They would rather bend you over for $150, a simple 10 plug in and then give you some "gotta dyno your bike" bullshit to get it tuned at the rate of $80 dollars an hour for a minimum of 2 hours.

It wasn't bad enough to have to pay $20 K plus for the bike that runs like **** stock...

Fok them. Greedy theives!!
Where can you get a bike tuned in two hours and for only $80 per hour? I wouldn't let the guy who will do that come anywhere close to my bike...

Old 04-03-2010, 09:08 AM
dklanecky
Tourer

Originally Posted by FLS2FLH
Kinda similar experience chatting with the owner of the dealership I bought my new bike from. Had some beefs with them after picking up the bike and thought it was worked out w/the service manager. Finally had to call the owner, and convo went to my first service (upcoming since some of the issues I have need to be address then). I told him I was bringing my own Amsoil for his guys to use. He first told me it would 'void the warranty' then restated - saying MoCo would test the oil if there were any warranty claim for engine or transmission damage and I run the risk of denying the claim. He also asked why I would use someone elses oil since the HD product was designed by HD. I wasn't going to get into the discussion with him on why my preference is not to use Syn3 because I knew it was a waste of air. I'm sure this discussion would have went the same way at 90% of all dealers. It's really the reason why so many of us don't even think twice about doing the basics ourselves, and going to a good indy for stuff that might be out of our personal scope. The dealerships that are supportive would get more service work - if they would just cut the righteous bullshit and be more open minded about their customer's wishes. In a down economy, and with dealerships struggling, you would think the prospect of more service work would be more appealing - guess not.
Interesting how much variance there is between dealers. My dealer's service writers actually make it point to ask you if you brought your own oil. If so they make a note to ensure the tech uses what you brought along.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:11 PM
ga4boats
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Delooks
MIbagger - I had a similar dealer experience yesterday. Just got 2010 deluxe two weeks ago and prepaid for a security system to be installed later. Showed up and the service bonehead notices that I've got PCV, V&H Bigshots long, and big sucker. (Bought from fuel moto and installed myself) Starts lecturing me about how "he's seen 5 power commanders fry the factory ECM" and how the SERT is the only way to go blah blah blah.

I politely say that I'm not there to debate him and he is entitled to his opinion but I've already made my decision and I'm very happy with my set up. (BTW I have a degree in electrical engineering so I'm very well informed on how these products work) He then says: "I don't like your attitude! I'm not working on your bike." Guy is completely insane! I talk to the manager, tell him I want my money back and try to explain what a huge mistake him and this boneheaded service idiot are making by refusing to install the part for me.

It takes a special kind of moron to turn a prepaid customer into a sworn enemy! I will never step foot in this dealership again and will tell everyone I know to stay away as well! I was shocked and appalled by the way they treated me!
What an AH! I hope that dealer is nowhere near me in Atlanta.

Quick Reply: Dealer warning on PCV