Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage Classic vs Road King Classic

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 11:56 PM
LTDDD
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heritage Classic vs Road King Classic

I currently ride a Heritage Softail Classic and I'm considering going to a Road King Classic. My wife and I really like the Heritage with its retro style but as we do alot of 2 up riding the suspension on the Road King might be worth considering. I'm going to get a RK to test ride but I'm hoping that others may have also made the comparison. Any imput would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 06-04-2005, 12:54 AM
Grover
Administrator Emeritus

Received 252 Likes on 122 Posts
Default RE: Heritage Classic vs Road King Classic

I have an 05 RK. I have ridden it two up quite a bit.

The air shocks on the read give it a solid feel. It handles the road very well, corners great and is comfortable on the interstate.

When you push on the saddle, the bike moves very little compared to the soft suspension on the Heritage. When you get over 800 pounds of weight reacting to road conditions, the stiffer suspension helps to smooth things out. The suspension on the Heritage is built and calibrated for lighter loads than the suspension on the RK. Buy what fits your needs. If you are touring two up, the RK may be the better choice. If you mainly ride solo on short jaunts, and occasionally ried two up, think about the softer ride of the Heritage.

Old 06-04-2005, 02:31 AM
TuxedoCartman
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Dad has a Heritage Softail, and I just bought a Road King.

To me, the Heritage has a more comfortable feel, at least for around town riding. You sit lower in the saddle, and the rigid-mount engine gives a more direct feel. It's also a lighter bike. But...

The Road King's air-ride suspension makes longer rides soooooo much more comfortable. Hell, it makes local rides sooooo much more comfortable. And the rubber mount engine makes the bike ride like a luxury car; no buzzing, no vibration at cruising speed. Cruise control is kinda cool as well.

If you plan on riding locally a lot, with a once-in-a-while short trip, go with the Heritage. They're good looking bikes. But if you put serious miles on your bike each year, I'd choose the Road King. That's what I bought, and I regret nothing!

Old 06-04-2005, 07:15 AM
PLHOG
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was riding a Wide Glide and wanted a touring bike. My eye was on the Heritage, but the dealer, who is also a good friend, said that if I was upgrading for a better ride, the Road King would be better. In fact, he said, the Wide Glide probably rode better than the Heritage since the Wide Glide uses the Dyna-style suspension.

I've ridden thousands of miles with a guy who rides a Heritage, and he likes it very much. However, I think think his choice was driven by the styling of the Heritage, not the ride. The Heritage has a slightly greater fork rake, and the exhaust pipes both run down the right side. The difference in the rake and the conventional rear suspension make the RK handle better in my opinion. But I do like the Heritage styling.

None of my riding group rides two up for any distance on Heritage. In fact, all but one couple ride Ultras (that one rides a RK Classic). The back seaters REALLY like the Ultras.

PL

Old 06-04-2005, 11:03 AM
rgerber
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I may as well weigh in on this one. I just went from an '05 Heritage to an '05 Ultra. What a difference! Smoother ride, more comfortable, more room for my bride and it handles much better. The RK has the same frame as the Ultra, so my guess is the ride is as good. If you like to tour, you're gonna really enjoy a bike made for touring! We loved to look of the Heritage, but IMHO, the touring bike wins hands down!

[IMG]local://upfiles/718/77A3BD7B4F9D4C7B9C36772E6A5A9EE9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-04-2005, 11:03 AM
LAF
Intermediate

If you just want to perfectly happy for the rest of your life on one bike, just buy the 05 Road Glide.[:-]

Old 06-04-2005, 11:26 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Had a 1995 Roadking for 10 years, and my wife rides a 2001 Heritage. I prefer the Roadking, especially if you are going to do trips two up. The Heritage is a good ride, and you sit down in it rather than on it, which gives a good feel, but in the long run the Roadking is a better riding and handling bike.

Two up the Heritage is a little crowded, and in the twistys it will touch the ground sooner.

Regards,

Bill

Old 06-04-2005, 11:58 AM
Phantomryder
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the retro look of the softail line, low saddle, and around town jaunts. But being a RK owner I love the comfort on long hauls as well as the great storage capacity of the hard lockable bags. It's a looker too....
I would keep the Heritage and buy the RK for long hauls and 2ups.....
Ride Safe

[IMG]local://upfiles/1106/FBDB4F96A74F483DA5668279A2A24F54.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-04-2005, 06:35 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with everyone on the RK, you can't go wrong.

John TN

Old 06-04-2005, 08:35 PM
LTDDD
Advanced

Were going on a long RK test ride on Tuesday. I have also got my name on a Lava Red RK just in case I fall in love again..... Thanks for all your advice...I'll keep you all posted. Darrel

Quick Reply: Heritage Classic vs Road King Classic