Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!! Black Exhaust Insulating Wrap Needed for Ultra - PLEASE???

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 08:01 PM
dchoran
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! Black Exhaust Insulating Wrap Needed for Ultra - PLEASE???

Hey comrades, could use some kindness/compassion here!!!

I have an 05 Ultra with one small section of pipe turning BUTT UGLY gold. It is only a six inch section but man does it make the scoot look like CRAP!!! NASTY.

Tried all the ripoff solvents - Blue Away, Blue Be Gone, Blue Buster, Blue Job, ..... ain't nothing working. It just got worse SOB !!!

At the Wisc HOG rally, I saw another guy wrap a section of his exhaust pipe/muffler in a black exhaust tape and it looked pretty decent. Kinda cool. I think it is KEVLAR???

What I want to do is wrap this little section (~ six inches) of pipe on my scoot in BLACK EXHAUST INSULATING WRAP. That will match the decor and also be less heat for the passenger.

Problem is I can't find this anywhere locally - tried for a couple days now - only can find it at J&P Cyles but you gotta buy 50 feet for $80. I only need a few feet of this stuff.

Is there anybody out there that has some extra black exhaust wrap around and would be willing to sell a few feet??? Paypal, cash, check, money order, whatever....

Or better yet, maybe a few of us could pitch in and split up a new 50 foot roll??? Four of us for $20 get 12 feet each - I'll pay the shipping to ya'll.

J&P #450-306 This item appeared in our...
2006 Update Catalog page 236
2006 Catalog page 224
2005 Update Catalog page 201

THANKS Dave H. dchoran@athenet.net Appleton, WI

Old 08-05-2006, 08:46 PM
HD Renegade
Road Warrior
Default RE: HELP!!! Black Exhaust Insulating Wrap Needed for Ultra - PLEASE???

You might ry Summit Racing for header wrap, seems like it was 25 a roll, but that was some time ago too.

Bob

Old 08-05-2006, 08:50 PM
Sol
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

PepBoys has something similar and also kinda pricey. My understanding of the application of this stuff is that short sections don't hold so well & the ends need clamped down. Also, it's awfully stinky until fully cured which takes some time.

Something else you might consider:
Touring Muffler Exhaust Shield Kit
These chrome-plated muffler shields extend the Original Equipment exhaust pipe shield to the end of the muffler and will not interfere with end caps. They are perfect for restoring the luster to your Performance Mufflers by covering any scratches or weathering. Kit includes two exhaust shields and related hardware.
65829-00
Fits Harley-Davidson® Touring Mufflers, Screamin' Eagle® Performance Mufflers and Harley-Davidson® Performance Mufflers. These shields are not intended for use on FLSTS models or on One-Piece Performance Mufflers.
MSRP US $134.95

Old 08-05-2006, 09:33 PM
dchoran
Road Warrior

SOL,

Appreciate the tip on the exhaust shields - I didn't even know such an item existed. Hopefully they will fit over my Rush pipes. THANKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-05-2006, 11:38 PM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

you may regret it. it holds moisture bad and can mess up your pipes so bad they can't be returned to normal.

Old 08-05-2006, 11:38 PM
Sol
Tourer

ORIGINAL: dchoran

SOL,

Appreciate the tip on the exhaust shields - I didn't even know such an item existed. Hopefully they will fit over my Rush pipes. THANKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Check out my photo album to get an idea of the what the exhaust sheilds look like on my RK. Big hose clamps around the muffs but blend in from the profile. If your Rush mufflers are in the neighborhood of the stock muffs diameter the shields should fit.

Old 08-06-2006, 11:30 AM
dchoran
Road Warrior

Sol - thanks again - looks pretty straight forward - I'm buying a set on Monday.

Any discoloration on the shields??? Maybe I should still wrap the hot spot and then mount the shield.

Oh yeah, nice looking scoot. The shields blend right in.

And if a Hooters girl sat on my seat, I'd....... nevermind.

Huff,

huffhuff Date 8/5/2006 8:38:01 PM
you may regret it. it holds moisture bad and can mess up your pipes so bad they can't be returned to normal.

Do you mean the wrap or the shields???

THANKS.

Old 08-11-2006, 10:48 PM
dchoran
Road Warrior

Check out my photo album to get an idea of the what the exhaust sheilds look like on my RK. Big hose clamps around the muffs but blend in from the profile. If your Rush mufflers are in the neighborhood of the stock muffs diameter the shields should fit.
SOL - just gotta thank you once again brother.

I installed those exhaust shields on my 05 Ultra with Rush pipes and it worked PERFECTLY - exactly like you said it would!!!!

THEY LOOK GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why didn't the freakin' stealership mention these when I was in bitching about what to do about gold discolored pipes???

They did sell me $25 worth of useless Blue This and $25 of useless Blue That and they can Blue (sp) me - none of it worked [:@]

Maybe people like us on this forum just know more about these kinda matters - the knowledge base here and kinship is phenomenal

Oh yeah, I bitched to Epiflex/Rush too and just heard tonight via email from "Lou" that a new set of slip-ons are enroute free of charge - now that is customer service - MoCo would blame the mods and stick it to ya [:@]!!!!

But for now, I'm gonna keep the shields on since they look better and I swear there is less heat now too. Just hope they don't discolor eventually.

THANKS AGAIN SOL!!! Dave H

Name:  exhaustshield65829-00.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  3.7 KB #65829-00

And I'm gettin' this little $30 baby from Kuryakyn to hide ALL the ugliness

Name:  exhaustshorty.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  9.0 KB

Old 08-12-2006, 02:55 AM
Sol
Tourer

Dave - I think the chance that the muffler heat sheilds will discolor is the same as the shields on the head pipes. Unless there is something like a huge exhaust leak, under normal conditions the shields should be OK.
Please post some pics of your completely shielded/smooth exhaust system, I'm especially curious how the Kuryakan gap shield looks and fits in with the rest.