Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Batwing windshield needed, and I have questions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 08:27 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Batwing windshield needed, and I have questions.

I'm looking at the Klockwerks 6.5 or 8.5 or Clearview 6.5 or 8. I read the KW shield is actually shorter because of how they measure it.....True? Is it crucial to get the exact windshield because of the distortion of the curves in the shield? I sat on my bike and stood a tape measure (at 6.5") on the batwing (without the shield) and I look about 2" above it. I don't want to do this twice. Can a taller shield be modified, on the bottom, a bit to sit lower if I need a half inch or so? I like to look over the shield, and get the wind above my face if possible.

Thanks for the help, suggestions and reviews of both.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:44 PM
SDVmnt
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How tall are you? I'm a shade over 6' and installed the HD new windshield. It's perfect w/o helmet. I'm betting that with one it would hit me right on the top. I feel more buffeting @ 70-75 coming from below than above. This was on a right angle 30mph wind 170 mile trip. Brutal. When I put my feet up on the crash/highway bars and put my knees against the tank it was better.

Awesome night tonight with no wind and 70 was perfect.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:54 PM
ARTHUNDER09
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI, Im 5.11 and I have the 6.5 Klockwerks. The difference from the stock windshield on my street glide was UNREAL! You still feel wind but almost all of the buffeting is gone. With the stock windscreen I thought I was going to loose all my fillings in my teeth from my head shaking all over the place. You want to be able to look over the Klockwerks also as the design distorts the view if you try and look through it. My glide is in the parking lot so I went out and measured it for you. From the top of the dash between the spedo and tach as straight up as I could (it tilts back slightly) was 6.75" So its pretty close to 6.5 inches straight up.
Hope this helps.....I LOVE MINE!

Old 04-01-2010, 09:01 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ARTHUNDER09
HI, Im 5.11 and I have the 6.5 Klockwerks. The difference from the stock windshield on my street glide was UNREAL! You still feel wind but almost all of the buffeting is gone. With the stock windscreen I thought I was going to loose all my fillings in my teeth from my head shaking all over the place. You want to be able to look over the Klockwerks also as the design distorts the view if you try and look through it. My glide is in the parking lot so I went out and measured it for you. From the top of the dash between the spedo and tach as straight up as I could (it tilts back slightly) was 6.75" So its pretty close to 6.5 inches straight up.
Hope this helps.....I LOVE MINE!
I'm 5'8, but long in the torso. Sounds like the 6.5 would be best. I just want to make sure. I appreciate you taking the time to measure for me, thanks!

Old 04-01-2010, 10:22 PM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member

Save some time and alot of cash and get a LongRide shield. I have a Clearview and a LongRide and the LongRide is better quality and it came in 3 days, Clearview took weeks. As fas as distortion goes, you should never look thru a shield anyway so that doesn't factor in, never the less, there is no distortion with either shield.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:27 PM
ARTHUNDER09
Cruiser

Originally Posted by JonnyD
I'm 5'8, but long in the torso. Sounds like the 6.5 would be best. I just want to make sure. I appreciate you taking the time to measure for me, thanks!
Not a problem....thats the best part of this FORUM.....Helping each other out! Ride safe and good luck with your decision!

Old 04-01-2010, 10:31 PM
vtwin1340
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am 5' 11", and I use an 8.5" Clearview recurve. Wind goes just over the top of my head, and I look clearly over the windshield.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:55 PM
ARTHUNDER09
Cruiser

I found some pics way back in the blackberry memory if they help!

Attached Thumbnails Batwing windshield needed, and I have questions.-img00662.jpg   Batwing windshield needed, and I have questions.-img00663.jpg   Batwing windshield needed, and I have questions.-img00664.jpg   Batwing windshield needed, and I have questions.-img00667.jpg  
Old 04-01-2010, 11:27 PM
gtrplyr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a dark grey 6.5" Clearview windshield with recurve for sale in the classified section. Only has 250 miles on it... went with a 8" instead. $70 shipped.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:31 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by vtwin1340
I am 5' 11", and I use an 8.5" Clearview recurve. Wind goes just over the top of my head, and I look clearly over the windshield.
that's me to a T, except mine is 8", not 8.5. Is that an older one?

I've ridden in sub-freezing weather and been comfortable. Wind goes right over my head. I can hold my hand up and feel it just above my helmet. I feel a little wind in my face at slower speeds (under 30). I look well over the shield.

Jon, if you go clearview, you would be able to run the 6.5 no problem.

Quick Reply: Batwing windshield needed, and I have questions.