Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo and hum noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 07:56 AM
Slacker8
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ripper more than likely there is some type of circuit board in the turn signal module, I haven't opened one so not sure. My guess is that a capacitor is used to intensify the lights when the break is applied. A capacitor is a voltage storage device in simpler terms. Shielding (aluminum foil) the module should clear up the problem. Let me know what it finally takes to rid your self of the engine noise.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:21 AM
Navy Mustang
Road Master
Received 313 Likes on 121 Posts

Good luck with this guys. I've been dealing with this humming crap for over a year now. Initially I installed the run/turn/brake module from Badlands Illuminator. The module works great BUT it introduced hum into my audio system (150w Biketronics w/6.5 Spkrs). If you listen closely the hum is there even if you have your stereo turned off. You're correct in that an application of either brake reduces the humming. I've installed a capacitor into the power line feeding the amp, as well as a filter in the rca cable feeding from the back of the amp, all to no avail. The thing still hums. I've gotten used to it but I hate that it does this. I reviewed the Badlands instructions and it mentions an alternative method for installing the plug n play module. The procedure is to remove the orange power wire from the connector and hook it directly to the hot (pos) terminal on the battery. I also did this and the hum is still with me. What to do? Other then take the module out of my system (which I have due to LED lights) I don't know what to do.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:02 AM
bikerbehaviorist
Road Master

I tried the aluminum foil but it did not work at all. I also checked the ground I used for the bag filler light (like those found on a street glide) that I added to my road king. It was grounded to chassis and made no difference when I disconnected it. I was looking at the aux light plug and notice that one is black and I am wondering if it is a ground. I am also wondering if that is grounded to chassis it would stop/help with the noise. Not sure how I would get a pin out of the module??? I have a good relationship with my dealer maybe I can get them to call what they call Spock to get an answer on this - I may go by there tomorrow.......

Old 04-03-2010, 07:29 AM
vanman59
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if you could run the ground wire from the turn signal module directly to the battery ground and that would take care of the hum. Sometimes hum in audio circuits comes form a ground loop.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:36 AM
96roadking
Outstanding HDF Member

In my neighborhood, the hum would be coming from the bass reflex in the gangsta cage that's tailgating me. Seriously though, try the tin foil, cheap fix!

Old 04-03-2010, 08:20 AM
Heathen
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had slight hum in Bicktronics unit ,Took radio and hard wired to battery and this cured problem, Stereo guy here said hum was amp related.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:27 PM
Lawdawg
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Slacker8
Ripper more than likely there is some type of circuit board in the turn signal module, I haven't opened one so not sure. My guess is that a capacitor is used to intensify the lights when the break is applied. A capacitor is a voltage storage device in simpler terms. Shielding (aluminum foil) the module should clear up the problem. Let me know what it finally takes to rid your self of the engine noise.

So just wrap the module with aluminum foil? I will try that...

Old 04-05-2010, 06:45 PM
bikerbehaviorist
Road Master
Angry

Originally Posted by Lawdawg
So just wrap the module with aluminum foil? I will try that...
I tried no dice - did not work!!!

Old 04-06-2010, 09:20 PM
bikerbehaviorist
Road Master

Went to the local dealer today where usually I get no BS, but today it was we use those with harley radios and yours is after market it must be the after market wiring. I tried to appeal to the fact that if that were true there would be a hum regardless of the presence or absence of the aux light unit but........
So question -ripper43 is your stereo stock or aftermarket?

Old 04-06-2010, 09:57 PM
ripper43
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerbehaviorist
Went to the local dealer today where usually I get no BS, but today it was we use those with harley radios and yours is after market it must be the after market wiring. I tried to appeal to the fact that if that were true there would be a hum regardless of the presence or absence of the aux light unit but........
So question -ripper43 is your stereo stock or aftermarket?
Stock. I pluged in my new equalizer (it's a circuit board with resistors) for the LED T/S and it did Not cause a hum. Just when I use the SRT from Harley.

I think your dealer hasen't a clue just like us.

Quick Reply: Stereo and hum noise