Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 Roadking-tipped it, now it wont run-Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 09:53 AM
Hog Tied In NM
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Roadking-tipped it, now it wont run-Help!

I have a 2004 Harley Roadking Classic, I went riding today, oppss, and tipped it over onto the crash bars, sitting at a light. It was still running, I stood it up and started down the road, it started out ok, just for a 1/2 block, then started acting like it was starving for fuel, I coasted to a stop. It cranks over, I can hear the fuel pump cycle, when I turn on the key, but it won't even spit.
I took off the breather cover and sprayed gas in it, and it fires perfect,,, so for sure not getting fuel,,,
But I hear the fuel pump, cycle and then stop when I try to start it and then stop.
Injectors not getting fuel?? Pump not pumping enough pressure?
I have never had a problem with this bike,,, running perfect!! I tipped it over, just to the crashbar, so basically barely tipped it,, I was sitting at a light,, no impact or anything like that..
Totally puzzled,,,,,,
Can you help????

Old 03-31-2010, 10:36 AM
wldbill
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One of the fuel pump hoses inside the tank may have busted. They do get old.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:40 AM
easycruzer
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It may have an emergency fuel pump reset shutoff switch like all cars..in case of a crash, they shut the pump off, to stop the flow of fuel....but they have a reset switch on them.

May want to look at the manual to see if it does.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:44 AM
SA315B
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try turning the ignition on and off three or four times in succession then see if it starts.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:18 AM
Roadking04
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

What SA315B said. Had it happen to me and just had to turn ignition off and on 2 or 3 times,

Old 03-31-2010, 08:16 PM
Hog Tied In NM
Stage II
Unhappy Thank you all for the ideas,,, This sucks, LOL

I tried the ignition switch,,, didn't work, this is weird, I can hear the fuel pump come on and then cycle off,, I try to start it, and it cranks, then when you let off, you can hear the fuel pump cycle again and shut off. but still nothing.
If I spray gas in the air breather, it fires up and runs, then starves out.
I did disconnect the fuel line were it goes into the injector body, I turned it on and cranked it, there is no high pressure, just fuel running out - gravity.
The down side of fuel injection, I guess!

Old 03-31-2010, 08:32 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,839 Posts

If the bike tips more than 45 degrees for more then one second, the BAS (Bank angle sensor) located in the TSSM should have shut the bike down. If it fell right over onto the engine guard and kept running that is odd. Might give you a place to start.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:04 PM
Antnee 2004 FLHT
Cruiser

A buddy was sitting on my bike and lost his balance and started tipping it onto the engine guard. Saved the bike from falling but alittle gas came out and bike stalled. Error was on the display. Turned off bike for a couple of minutes and kicked him off it. I got on and it started right up. Doesn't really help in your situation. Did you pull your plugs and check them out to see if they are getting spark? Check your fuses for a blown fuse?

Old 03-31-2010, 09:14 PM
flhtupser
Tourer

Maybe try pulling the maxi fuse,leave out a couple minutes, replace. Cycle ignition on-off three times semi quickly then give her a try.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:20 PM
harleybill2008
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
If the bike tips more than 45 degrees for more then one second, the BAS (Bank angle sensor) located in the TSSM should have shut the bike down. If it fell right over onto the engine guard and kept running that is odd. Might give you a place to start.
What Dog said. I had the bas on my 99 roadking go out on me. Everytime I hit a bump the dang thing would shutdown. I would pull over, take my left rear bag off and flick the sensor. It would be fine until I hit another bump. Found out that it was not on correctly so that it didn't take much for the "angle" to be off. Once I put it on the correct way it worked fine. That would be the first thing I would check as well.

Quick Reply: 04 Roadking-tipped it, now it wont run-Help!