Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 RKC front brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 08:57 AM
karter
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 RKC front brakes

Posted a week or so ago about the grabby front brakes on my new to me 09 Road King . I felt they didn"t modulate very well once the pads and rotors were up to temperature, so yesterday I installed a set of Lyndall Z pads .The Brembo pads still have alot of life left in them ,although the inner pads were worn quite a bit more than the outer pads .
I also bled the calipers and found a fair amount of air in the right side caliper and none in the left . That may account for the slight pull I felt as the bike was coming to a complete stop .
Took the bike out for about a fifty mile ride and while the pads are still in a seating mode I'm happy with the lever modulation now and the pull is gone . Won't know because I replaced the pads and bled the brakes but I suspect the air in the right caliper was most of the lever modulation problem and for sure the slight pull that I felt .

Old 03-31-2010, 09:49 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,246 Likes on 1,852 Posts

The bike isn't ABS is it?

Old 03-31-2010, 11:36 AM
karter
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Non ABS w7k on it currently . Just went for another ride and the pads feel like their bedding in to the rotors . Brake lever feels much more linear than before .With the factory pads I'd have to let off the brake lever just before the bike stopped or they would grab and I'm assuming with the air in the right caliper the forks would pull to the right , no sign of that now , just a nice straight stop .

Old 03-31-2010, 11:50 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,246 Likes on 1,852 Posts

Also be sure to clean the pistons regularly.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:14 PM
Da Butcher
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lyndall does make some nice pads. As to your bike pulling to one side because one rotor getting more bite than the other, wouldn't make any difference. It's not like a car. Both rotors are connected to the same mass, on the same axis. Think about how many bikes only have one rotor and stop dead-on straight, even Harley's. Softails, Dyna's, etc. No difference at all. Want even better feel? Go for a set of floating rotors. Even the HD ones are decent enough. If your wallet is too fat and needs some thinning, buy a set of Lyndall rotors, and if you get pads at the same time, they warranty them for life. Yeah, at about a grand for a set of rotors and pads, I'd hope so. However, they ARE nice. Bottom line, you're happier than before, can't get better than that!

Old 04-01-2010, 03:00 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

now what if you'd have bled the brakes to begin with rather than going with the lyndal pads? i like the stock pads on my 08 non abs streetglide. it stops so much better than earlier years without the brembos, i'm very impressed. which is why, when the time comes, i'll be replacing the pads with the harley pads. for me, it works. glad you got your problem solved through bedding in the pads, and especially the bleeding.