Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shocks for FLHRS RKC?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 01:10 PM
redsled
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shocks for FLHRS RKC?

Anyone have any experience with improving the ride of their FLHRS? Mine is harsh and I'm getting tired of having my kidneys shaken out of me going over rough stretches of freeway. I've played around with the air pressure and the only thing that really helps soften the ride is riding 2-up - which I don't do a lot of.

Progressive 440s seem to be a favorite choice. And I have a suspension tuner who I'm pretty sure could dial in a set of Penskes for me if I wanted to spend the dough. I'm a lightweight - 160# (without riding gear), so that probably is working against me in terms of setup. What are you guys running that you like?

Old 03-30-2010, 01:22 PM
cbrenthus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,643 Likes on 683 Posts

The progressives seem to be a favorite. If you don't mind the look you could find some standard 12" touring shocks and throw those on pretty cheaply.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:36 PM
redsled
Cruiser

Originally Posted by cbrenthus
The progressives seem to be a favorite. If you don't mind the look you could find some standard 12" touring shocks and throw those on pretty cheaply.
The look??? You riding your King without the bags on or something?

I wonder what difference is between 12" touring shocks and what I've already got. I think they're 12" (which is a 1/2" or 1" lower than FLHR std) - and they're air adjustable on one side only. I've heard about getting ahold of takeoff touring shocks, though, so maybe there's something there. Don't want to raise the bike higher than it is.

Also, been reading on another board about replacing the oil in the shocks. Apparently an often overlooked maintenance procedure. I sure haven't done mine - may have to give that a try.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:58 PM
cbrenthus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,643 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by redsled
The look??? You riding your King without the bags on or something?
I mean raising the back of the bike an inch :P Street Glide and FLHRS shocks are 11", other touring models are 12". The 11" doesn't have as much travel, so therefore has to be stiffer.

I wonder what difference is between 12" touring shocks and what I've already got. I think they're 12" (which is a 1/2" or 1" lower than FLHR std) - and they're air adjustable on one side only. I've heard about getting ahold of takeoff touring shocks, though, so maybe there's something there. Don't want to raise the bike higher than it is.
See my first answer, if your shocks are stock they are 11". The air inlet is only on one side, but it does adjust both shocks.

Also, been reading on another board about replacing the oil in the shocks. Apparently an often overlooked maintenance procedure. I sure haven't done mine - may have to give that a try.
Might be worth a shot!

*disclaimer - I may be wrong, it could be that stock for FLHRS is 12" and standard is 13", and aftermarket goes as low as 11".
If so, though, everything I have said is still true in theory

Old 03-30-2010, 02:27 PM
paguy
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Redsled, it don't sound right that a RKC riding solo is a rough ride. I ride an 07 RKC, weigh about 270 and pressure at 17. Bud of mine on an 06 custom weighs about 170 and often rides with no air in his shocks.I went from riding dynas to the King because of the soft ride.
Are you the first owner; maybe fluid is worn and needs replaceing

Last edited by paguy; 03-30-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:53 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Originally Posted by cbrenthus

*disclaimer - I may be wrong, it could be that stock for FLHRS is 12" and standard is 13", and aftermarket goes as low as 11".
If so, though, everything I have said is still true in theory
this statement is correct.

i was running progressive 440s on my road king (11-1/2") and the ride was much harsher than the stock shocks. i needed it for the increased ground reach so i didn't mind the trade off.

Old 03-30-2010, 03:53 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Pretty sure the Street Glide and FLHRS has 12" shocks and Touring standard is 13" . redsled if you've got the coin do the Penske's cause there will not be anything better, as good maybe, but not better.

Old 03-30-2010, 03:56 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

I installed Ohlins 13 1/4" and like them on my 08 FLHX

Old 03-30-2010, 05:09 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

If it feels better two up, try running with no air in the shocks. The air in the shocks does not hold the bike up it just shortens the rebound. Try this before spending more money.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:47 PM
redsled
Cruiser

Thanks for the tips - I'll give it a try with no air and see how that goes. Also going to start playing around with shock oil - try replacing it first, then maybe messing around with the level.

Quick Reply: Shocks for FLHRS RKC?