Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kick Stand

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 01:25 AM
cowboy Harry
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not let them touch my bike ever again.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:56 AM
Max96
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When I was taking delivery of my new ride, thats how the salesman moved it back... on the "smooth" concrete floor of the service area.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:08 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,297 Likes on 2,506 Posts

Originally Posted by rabidd
Thanks for all the response I was very pissed tried to keep it together. I have told all my buds what happened and 2 of those have eagles and they wont go back. The spring broke some how and i think it was by doing the same thing in the past. Thanks
yeah, i think you're grabbing at straws here. the kickstand locks in place with a tab and by moving the bike this way it does not put any extra stress on the spring.

y'all need to have some faith in the 'jiffy stand', it really is a lot stronger than people realize.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:24 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I would have been more concerned seeing him push on the fairing. My Dealer replaced the mounting bolt's on my 08 UC. said it was an upgrade due to fairing's coming loose or bolt's breaking. I guess every Dealer has their bad day's. Last year when I had my 09 EGC in for service, I stopped for gas halfway home and realized one of my side covers was missing. I thought...oh sh$t, I hope it didn't blow off. I had put some Vasaline on the grommet's so it would be easier to get off. I called the service guy. He said it was laying near where the Wrench was working. after riding back to get it, I finnally got home and started checking to see if anything else was wrong. I found my drive belt was left way too loose. Another trip to the Dealer!!! That with the help of guy's on this forum, I'm doing my own service now....

Old 03-31-2010, 07:30 AM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts

Dont think that would hurt the spring but for sure wouldnt want his grubby hands pushin that hard on the fairing. Tell the dorks that why MOCO put handlebars on that bike.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:33 AM
09StreetGlider
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ripper43
That is by far the safest way to move a bike backwards. I've been doing it for 40 years and never had a problem. Man you guys are some mean *** bikers the way you would chew someones *** at the dealership for them doing something that has been common practice at dealerships I have worked at or visited nation wide for as long as I can remember.
JMHO.
So let me get this straight....you would put your hands in the middle of a batwing fairing (known for weak mounting brackets) and slide the scoot on asphalt leaned over on the kickstand. That's the scenario the OP had.

This would be a little different on a smooth surface using the handlebars or the forks of a non-fairing scoot. But hey, that's why I do all my own work.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:56 AM
RoadKingLou
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dealership would never treat a bike like that. I can imagine how that guy treats hois own stuff. Lazy Lazy Lazy

Old 03-31-2010, 07:57 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

His bike was in the shop for service. If it was inside the shop, there's no way it was asphalt. Might have been unpainted concrete, but not asphalt. As far as pushing on the fairing, how much force do you think the wind generates on your fairing as you're cruising down the freeway at 80?

Old 03-31-2010, 10:51 AM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually had the kickstand catch and spring back doing this on asphalt. Bike was loaded with my travel bag and down she went. Best part was trying to get it up when a so called big a$$ biker was laying on a bench 20 feet away and just layed there. Guess he thought he was too good. They do it all the time at the dealer on sealed concrete though.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:12 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Indianspringsaz
I would have lost it on that guy. Never heard of that before. I would not be having work done there.
I've never seen or heard of this practice before, and I would be pissed too. It might not hurt anything but it's just the idea of stressing the kickstand and scraping the thing unnecessarily. I don't think it would hurt the fairing, however.

Last edited by iclick; 03-31-2010 at 12:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Kick Stand