Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Setting-up the PCV-AT for mileage and cooling

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 04:37 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by dohadex
My idea was to have the best of both worlds and use the prime cruising range (AFR) for the appropriate gear ranges...typically 4-6...leaving 1-3 as strong accelleration gears. I did read in the PVC that you must calibrate each gear....I have yet to actually do it though. I think...you get into the "calibrate gears" mode...and then free wheel the bike (on a stand) and just accellerate through the gears. Not sure why or how it works. I plan on trying it out this weekend and I'll report back to the forum (you) how it plays out.
If you're looking for 1-3 to be "strong acceleration gears" you won't be tweaking the cruise range, but rather those TP areas above it. The cruise-range doesn't affect performance at all except perhaps throttle response to some degree. My philosophy has always been to keep the Fuel Moto values intact for 60% and up, thereby retaining the dynoed WOT performance that you want available at all times. You aren't at WOT the vast majority of the time, or at least I'm not, but when you need the performance you want all the bike can give.

On my bike I've tweaked the cruise-range as specified earlier, but have left 80-100% TP intact, evenly tapering the 40-60% areas. That will give you good mileage when your wrist is relaxed and full performance when you nail it, all in one map. The only reason to change anything, IMO, is to juggle mileage and cooling by changing the cruise-range values.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:14 PM
toby34
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you thank you thank you for breaking down this info on the pcv. I have changed the cams on my bike and had the same issue with the bogging from a light after the bike gets to normal temps. I placed 13.2 in the first row and raised the enrichment value +/- 12 . This cured the problem....Thanks for your good work

Old 04-22-2011, 07:23 AM
kosanow1
Intermediate

Thanks Iclick. The tuner in my area is pretty good. I think I will take your advise and have him do the SERT tune. Then latter in the year or maybe next spring I'll pick up a PCV-AT.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:54 PM
stones
Stage IV
Thumbs up Thank you sir!

Excellent write up! Just recently picked up the retro PCV and AT, from FuelMoto, for my 2005 Ultra. FM is just 20 miles up the road from me and let me tell ya, great group at that shop. Just to be sure, when the trim values change, are they affecting the loaded map, while riding (on the fly), or only after you accept them and save the map?

Old 05-14-2011, 08:57 PM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

they are affecting your base map so the combination of the base map and the trims equal what you are running. If you accept your tim values you just rewrote your base map to equal what the combination was. So now you base map is new and your trim from here forward will be from the new base map. Make sense?

Old 05-14-2011, 09:06 PM
stones
Stage IV

Originally Posted by SICKBAGGER
they are affecting your base map so the combination of the base map and the trims equal what you are running. If you accept your tim values you just rewrote your base map to equal what the combination was. So now you base map is new and your trim from here forward will be from the new base map. Make sense?
Rgr that.

Thanks!

Old 05-20-2011, 01:31 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Thumbs up

IOW, if you run a base map with trims, then accept trims, the bike will run exactly the same. It should anyway.

Example:

Base map: 30
Trim: -10
Value used: 20

After accepting trims:

Base map: 20
Trim: 0
Value used: 20

Old 05-20-2011, 03:29 PM
jrike
Tourer

just installed auto tune to go with pcv.big difference,i didnt do the switch,just running at all the time seems to run alot better.am i missing something by not using pc to its ability.?

Old 07-23-2011, 12:09 AM
3/4 life crisis
Road Master

Subscribed. Thanks for the great info.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:01 AM
jrike
Tourer

i click. i assume u then keep your auto tune on at all times.do u keep accepting trims at certain intervals ?or do u just clear them.i have a slight hesitation when starting out.not sure if its map or tbw issue.any ideas or things to check.

Quick Reply: Setting-up the PCV-AT for mileage and cooling