Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Setting-up the PCV-AT for mileage and cooling

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 05:30 PM
a34655
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ICLICK any intrest in a trip to central Florida to assist with a cam swap and autotune set up, it seems like you have a great knowledge of the proccess.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:52 PM
bjpharmd
Advanced

OK, I have read this thread many times, and just about every other PPCV and Autotune, but I cannot for the life of me figure one thing out. I mounted the map switch to day and was able to open both maps in the Power Commander Software. I have the switch enabled. However, that turns off the AutoTuner. I have created a base map and a leaned out map for mileage, as described above. But Do you need to have the hardware sitch enabled under Configure>>Autontune? Or do you need to have map switch enabled under Configure>>map switch. Or do you need both enabled? That was the one part lacking in the write up at the top, the actual steps in have the switch installed, and enabled to be used with autotune. Wow, this stuff gets comlicated!!! but fun!!

Old 06-16-2010, 11:10 PM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bjpharmd
OK, I have read this thread many times, and just about every other PPCV and Autotune, but I cannot for the life of me figure one thing out. I mounted the map switch to day and was able to open both maps in the Power Commander Software. I have the switch enabled. However, that turns off the AutoTuner. I have created a base map and a leaned out map for mileage, as described above.

But Do you need to have the hardware sitch enabled under Configure>>Autontune?
No do not enable this switch.

Or do you need to have map switch enabled under Configure>>map switch.
Yes this one should b eenabled.

Or do you need both enabled?
No not both

That was the one part lacking in the write up at the top, the actual steps in have the switch installed, and enabled to be used with autotune. Wow, this stuff gets comlicated!!! but fun!!
So when your in auto tune you will be using all of the tables ARF, Trim, Fuel, and Timing.

Turn the switch of an you only run in the Fuel table. That is all your base map knows.

This is from what Keith told me today on the phone.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:06 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

I have the switch enabled. However, that turns off the AutoTuner. I have created a base map and a leaned out map for mileage, as described above. But Do you need to have the hardware sitch enabled under Configure>>Autontune? Or do you need to have map switch enabled under Configure>>map switch. Or do you need both enabled?
I've been using the term "map switch" when I should've said "hardware switch." The latter is for Auto-Tune and you must have the Map Switch option turned OFF and in the AT configuration section the Enable Hardware Switch turned ON.
I talked to Jamie the other day and he reminded me of the importance of this distinction, and I'll go back to my original post and make those changes. Otherwise the two could easily be confused.

Last edited by iclick; 06-17-2010 at 10:27 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:09 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by SICKBAGGER
So when your in auto tune you will be using all of the tables ARF, Trim, Fuel, and Timing.

Turn the switch of an you only run in the Fuel table. That is all your base map knows.

This is from what Keith told me today on the phone.
That's correct. When the switch circuit is open (off) it will run the base map values only, no learning mode (AT) or trims. When the switch circuit is closed (on) is is in "learning mode," which is Auto-Tune. Of course the ignition-advance tables will work regardless.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:27 AM
CR
Advanced

Timing problems, intake solenoid and exhaust valve. I have a 2008 CVO with PCV AT. Although the engine runs smoothly and strong in the bottom rpm's. I have lost some power in 6th gear since i installed PCV and a SEAC. In the original setup with XIED's the bike would reach a zumo certified 119 mph but after installing PCV it does not get beyond 114 mph (although it gets there fast enough keeping up with my mate's V-rod). While driving this fast it seems that weird things are going on (apart from the sloppy chassis that is). Either the knock retard kicks in or the the intake solenoid. The AFR's of 13.5 to 13,0 (high rpms and openings) are supposed to be optimized for power. Ignition was on +3 in high rpms and throttle openings. Are there any rules of thumb regarding ignition timing and just to make sure adding +3 (cell value of PCV) in 6th gear advances timing 3 degrees?

Old 06-20-2010, 10:08 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by CR
Timing problems, intake solenoid and exhaust valve. I have a 2008 CVO with PCV AT. Although the engine runs smoothly and strong in the bottom rpm's. I have lost some power in 6th gear since i installed PCV and a SEAC. In the original setup with XIED's the bike would reach a zumo certified 119 mph but after installing PCV it does not get beyond 114 mph (although it gets there fast enough keeping up with my mate's V-rod). While driving this fast it seems that weird things are going on (apart from the sloppy chassis that is). Either the knock retard kicks in or the the intake solenoid. The AFR's of 13.5 to 13,0 (high rpms and openings) are supposed to be optimized for power. Ignition was on +3 in high rpms and throttle openings. Are there any rules of thumb regarding ignition timing and just to make sure adding +3 (cell value of PCV) in 6th gear advances timing 3 degrees?
You should not be losing power when compared to XIED's, which do not affect performance outside closed-loop. With these and no PCV at WOT you are running the existing ECM configuration, which if stock is not optimized for much of anything except emissions compliance. You could try zeroing your ignition timing at 80-100% TP and see if that helps, although 3-4° advance is typical for that Fuel Moto and DJ maps that I've seen. With your compression (9.15:1 IIRC) your setup shouldn't be much different from mine. I have 255 cams, 9.2:1, and a TC96.

I assume you don't live in the U.S., as you mention the intake solenoid and exhaust valve, and I think those is used for only HDI bikes. I don't know even what these devices do and can't speculate on the effects they may have on the bike at WOT. Since we're talking before-after, maybe there is some outside force that has affected the bike, like ambient conditions (temp, humidity, barometric pressure, etc.) or the gas you used. If your gas is close to the threshold of the knock sensor you may have encountered it with the second tank of gas but not the first. I'm just speculating here.

I haven't had my bike beyond 100 mph in two years and have no particular yearning to do it again, as I rarely exceed 80mph. I've had AT for about 17 months, so I think it would be accurate to say that I haven't had my bike above 80-90mph since installing AT and don't know how fast the bike went before or after. In fact, I don't even apply WOT that often in the lower gears, as power-wise I really don't need more than half-throttle most of the time, even when passing.

Where did you buy the PCV-AT and who installed it?

Last edited by iclick; 06-20-2010 at 10:11 AM.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:57 PM
speckfisher
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great write-up. Thanks

Old 06-20-2010, 01:03 PM
bjpharmd
Advanced

So I've got the harware switch enabled through autotune. However, when you do that, you are not allowed to have more than 1 map opened in the software. How you enable the hardware switch and then still have the two maps present? I say all this yet it's 92 degrees here today, and I don't think I will be switching off of my "cooling" map for a while.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:03 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

So I've got the harware switch enabled through autotune. However, when you do that, you are not allowed to have more than 1 map opened in the software. How you enable the hardware switch and then still have the two maps present? I say all this yet it's 92 degrees here today, and I don't think I will be switching off of my "cooling" map for a while.
With the PCV alone (no AT) the "map switch" option allows you to toggle between to distinctly different maps. With PCV-AT you enable the "hardware switch" in the AT configuration and you can then toggle between the base map (no trims) and "learning mode" (AT), and it runs from the base map ± trims. The idea is to create a rich base map, then set target ARFs lean so you can toggle between them. With AT you run on one base map regardless of the switch setting, but the effect is essentially the same.

Quick Reply: Setting-up the PCV-AT for mileage and cooling