Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Setting-up the PCV-AT for mileage and cooling

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 11:59 AM
Stew Pidaso
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This an awesome thread! Just what I needed to get my head wrapped around what is going on being new to the tuning side. Thanks iclick!

Old 07-06-2015, 07:53 PM
87gtNOS
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need some answers and hopefully bringing up this thread will summon some of you to help! LOL

I am working with my PC5....for 4 yrs now. Do note, I've used Power Commanders since 06....

so...questions...
AT (autotune) on, everything is out the door, AT wants to keep you at the set A/F on the AT tables...allowed because Optimizers put it in OPEN LOOP.

AT OFF, the ECM uses the factory fueling PLUS(or minus!) the fuel tables on the PCV, and therefore the ECM is still allowed to add (or subtract) fuel based on LOAD (whacking the throttle, hard acceleration, etc) and then of course would not be following the AT's tables at all, but will be close because the factory O2's are not working due to the Optimizers putting the bike in OPEN LOOP.

Wouldn't the factory ECU demand more fuel based on LOAD? I know you are tuning the Power Vision as such....just trying to justify leaving AT on or off??? If the AT is on, then the fuel will always be as the a/f trim tables are set...so whack the throttle and you won't get extra fuel!!!

Correct????

Last edited by 87gtNOS; 07-06-2015 at 07:57 PM.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:00 PM
87gtNOS
Cruiser

and btw...I've been running in open loop (no Autotune) with my 'autotuned' map created from zero....seems to run great.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:05 PM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 87gtNOS
I need some answers and hopefully bringing up this thread will summon some of you to help! LOL

I am working with my PC5....for 4 yrs now. Do note, I've used Power Commanders since 06....

so...questions...
AT (autotune) on, everything is out the door, AT wants to keep you at the set A/F on the AT tables...allowed because Optimizers put it in OPEN LOOP.

AT OFF, the ECM uses the factory fueling PLUS(or minus!) the fuel tables on the PCV, and therefore the ECM is still allowed to add (or subtract) fuel based on LOAD (whacking the throttle, hard acceleration, etc) and then of course would not be following the AT's tables at all, but will be close because the factory O2's are not working due to the Optimizers putting the bike in OPEN LOOP.

Wouldn't the factory ECU demand more fuel based on LOAD? I know you are tuning the Power Vision as such....just trying to justify leaving AT on or off??? If the AT is on, then the fuel will always be as the a/f trim tables are set...so whack the throttle and you won't get extra fuel!!!

Correct????
Auto tune isn't changing anything while you're riding, you have to accept the trims and re-load the tune. I would only run auto tune while I was doing tining runs.
Mark

Old 07-06-2015, 08:54 PM
87gtNOS
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ONEDOWNAND5UP
Auto tune isn't changing anything while you're riding, you have to accept the trims and re-load the tune. I would only run auto tune while I was doing tining runs.
Mark
You sure? I think it's live when it's on. The trims are real. If the trims say -15, it's pulling -15 from the base map. When you actually accept them, they change the base map....but leave it on and more autotuning will happen....

That's always been my take...

Old 07-06-2015, 09:01 PM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 87gtNOS
You sure? I think it's live when it's on. The trims are real. If the trims say -15, it's pulling -15 from the base map. When you actually accept them, they change the base map....but leave it on and more autotuning will happen....

That's always been my take...
I don't think it's tuning in real time, I could be mistaken, Mac is the one you need to get with, he knows for sure. Even my Power Commander Vision doesn't tune in real time.
Mark

Old 07-07-2015, 03:03 PM
87gtNOS
Cruiser

really need some answers please!!!!

Old 07-07-2015, 03:37 PM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 728 Likes on 487 Posts

I know with the power vision it's not live. I have to accept all the learned values, save it, and load the new tune

Old 07-07-2015, 04:00 PM
87gtNOS
Cruiser

On PC5, the Autotune is live when turned on, a kinda primitive closed loop, just checked with Dynojet...

Old 07-07-2015, 04:07 PM
Impala_ss
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting. So I would think that the best bet is to have it learn a few times until a satisfactory correction rate to complete a decent base map. Then to leave it on to act as a basic closed loop system?

Quick Reply: Setting-up the PCV-AT for mileage and cooling