Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard bag reflectors - Know of any?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 10:06 AM
StreetGlider57
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hard bag reflectors - Know of any?

I'm interested in getting some refectors to put on my hard bags to make me as visible as posible for cages to see me when it's dark out. Anyone know of any sources for them?

Last edited by StreetGlider57; 03-28-2010 at 08:51 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:37 AM
cruise_carter
Road Captain
Received 39 Likes on 13 Posts

Do a search for 3m Scotchlite reflective tape. It can be bought in black and when headlights hit it, it fairly glows white, very visible.

Run a couple of strips on the bags, perhaps just the edge of the lids.
Cage drivers will definitely see you.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:43 AM
Kingo99
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the question & answer. I was concerned about the same thing and the tape sounds like a good solution.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:47 AM
ncbeast
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought there were all ready reflectors in the saddlebag hendge? Most people try to get rid of them or cover them up but I understand why you want the side visability. I removed my rear turns signals and went with some leds that have no side visibilty and am looking for side lights. I want to do something away from the bags so I will not have to disconnect them when removing the bags. I have been thinking of doing some led stripes down low on the frame to act as run/turns.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:51 AM
Unome
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it just me or does anyone else see the irony of him wanting to be more visible at night but riding a black bike?

Old 03-28-2010, 11:19 AM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Unome
Is it just me or does anyone else see the irony of him wanting to be more visible at night but riding a black bike?
Not me; I want visibility at night, no matter what color the bike. I like my Ultra, in part, due to the light-bar on the rear of the Tour-Pak. Not sure that a 'black-cherry' shows up much better than a 'vivid-black' at night. I had a luxury-red '02 and not much visibility at night. Nothing wrong with wanting to 'be seen'.

Old 03-28-2010, 01:12 PM
StreetGlider57
Road Master

Originally Posted by Unome
Ironic? Perhaps, I never thought of it that way. But you've got the point; black bike, black jacket, black as night...posible problem. A few nice looking, well place reflectors will give the cagers more to see when I'm riding after dark.

Old 03-28-2010, 01:27 PM
GAZippoman
Road Captain

Originally Posted by StreetGlider57
Ironic? Perhaps, I never thought of it that way. But you've got the point; black bike, black jacket, black as night...posible problem. A few nice looking, well place reflectors will give the cagers more to see when I'm riding after dark.

I have to do a bit of riding in the dark, since that's the way it is when I leave for work in the morning (and sometimes on the way home). I honestly don't think I can tell the color of any bike I've seen in the dark. It's all about the lights/reflector's. And I'm also concerned about being seen. Even with all the lights I have on my FLHTK, I'm always looking for more/better visibility.

One of the best ideas I've seen is the reflector vest. I haven't bought one yet...but probably should.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:39 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Sure seems like I've seen reflectors mounted on the rear crash bars somewhere. Maybe the international bikes have them? If you could find a long thin strip (trailer supply store?) You could hose clamp them on there? Might be an idea to consider, and something to avoid sticking anything to your saddlebags that you may regret later should you want to remove it.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:43 AM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

If you ever change your SG passenger pegs to passenger floorboards HD makes a nice set of lights that mount to the pass. floorboards. I've got them on my bike and they are very nice at night and an EZ install!!!

Quick Reply: Hard bag reflectors - Know of any?