Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short antennas

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 07:48 AM
Capt.Bob
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short antennas

I have noticed some of the Ultra's on this fourm have short antennas on them. How do they work compared to the orginal and where do ya get um? Thanks

Old 08-04-2006, 09:19 AM
rdrunner
Cruiser
Default RE: Short antennas

I have the shorts on my '06 Ultra and I bought them on E-glide goodies. The radio antenna works as well as the stock one. I don't use the CB so I couldn't comment on that except that I heard that the reception would suffer alot with the short. The ones I have are solid black (no flex) approx 9" and fit right on with no problem.

Old 08-04-2006, 09:42 AM
DaveC670
Novice

I just removed the antenna and cut it from the bottom leaving the top. I left it about 14 inches long and still seems to work well but I only have the radio no CB. I figured it was worth a try and if it didn't work I would just buy a shorter one.

Dave

Old 08-04-2006, 10:00 AM
WhiteKnuckle
Cruiser

I just cut my FM antenna on my 07 Ultra, to 12", and I think I cut it a bit too short. My reception isn't as good now, so I ordered a EGlide antenna. I took off the CB antenna since I don't use that anyway - if I'm going to use it, I'll just put it back on. If you do that, be sure and don't key up the CB, I understand it's bad for the radio to key it up without an antenna. Freedom Cycles Reno also has short antennas for both FM and CB radios.

If you cut your antenna, leave it longer than 12". Like the carpenter said, "I've cut this dang thing three times, and it's still too short."

Old 08-04-2006, 10:10 AM
bucs012
Road Master

I have been thinking about this too. I just went to Ebay and did a search on motorcycle antenna and the solid black shorty ones seems to be popular. I cut 5" off my 07 antenna so far and it's still good. Think I will do 2" at a time and keep checking the range out so I don't have to say what the carpenter said........[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 08-04-2006, 10:14 AM
cutacroshorty
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys are something else.

I use to be a real fanatic about thing being symmetrical. It use to drive me up the wall if thing didn't look evenly spaces or balanced looking.

It is a little aggravating with the antennas on my '03 Ultra when I go to put the cover on it, so I can appreciate your situation and wanting to have short antenna but I just can't give up the reception.

Old 08-04-2006, 10:17 AM
marc
Intermediate

I've found mine HERE and like them. More than easy to install. I can't say about CB, never use it, but on the site they say it perfectly runs.

Old 08-04-2006, 10:21 AM
DH98 Mk VI
Intermediate

I went to the local Auto parts store and got two short radio antennae for about $12.00 total. Radio works fine with no noticable difference in strength or range ... don't use the CB though so I have no feedback with rrgards to this.

Old 08-04-2006, 10:48 AM
jlacasci
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got mine here:

http://www.freedomcyclereno.com/

Use to be able to just buy them on-line, now it looks like you must call them.

Just 15" tall, work easilly as well as the original. Just the radion, never tried the CB. I replaced mine after I had my second whip just snap off!!!!

Joe

Old 08-04-2006, 02:42 PM
gforceman2
Cruiser

Cut mine from the bottom to about 16", works great! No reception problems at all.

Quick Reply: Short antennas