Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decel Popping

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010 | 10:17 AM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

Mark, The stage 1 flash from your dealer is a canned map. It's not a cure-all. Works for some, not for others.

Since your bike is a pre EPA smog bike and if you are not going to to much more to the motor I would suggest a simple Power Commander but it will need to stay on the bike, for a little more money you can get a TTS and take it to a local dyno guy who will use calibrated 02 sensors to tune your ECM map.

You may be able to pick up a used PCIII for little money (less than 200) just make sure it is for an 07 and earlier bike, they changed the ECM connector for the touring bikes in 08.

-wiz

Old 03-27-2010 | 11:36 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member

If you can't find an exhaust or vacuum (intake) leak your decel pop is coming from a lean condition. I passed on the HD download and instead went directly to a PCIII and some dyno time. The difference in performance over stock is dramatic (with a capital DRAMATIC!). I still got great mileage (45mpg avg.), no pinging, no popping (not ever) and there wasn't a 96"er (with comparable mods) that could stay with it. Do yourself a big favor and at least try one of the self tuning units. The fun factor alone will make it worth the expense.
Navy Mustang: you should be paying close attention here. If you spent the money and did the mods I can pretty much guarantee you'd never ever change your bike back, even if you could get a full refund.

Last edited by Leftcoaster; 03-27-2010 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-27-2010 | 12:15 PM
paguy
Road Captain

I just don't think the stock fuel control system , EMS, is satisfactory. My understanding is that the stock EMS does not have the sensitivity to changes the after market systems provide.
I have 21,000 mi. on an 07RKC. About two weeks ago I went from a stock system that began giving some decel poping to the fuelmoto system with the PC 3. My bike now responds to slight throttle changes and a few high RPM decelerations produced no poping. If nothing else I am happy to get those O2 senors out of the system.
I seen guys change pipes, air cleaner, and have the existing EMS flashed. This seems to always result in down the road poping.
My 2 cents is to contact Fuelmoto, talk, decide which fuel manage. system will benifit now and in future.

Old 03-27-2010 | 02:29 PM
hodgeaaco
Tourer

I know this is simple, and I am not trying to patronize you in any way. Have you tried new muffler clamps? The HD torca clamps are only supposed to be used once and new ones should be used if you change mufflers. I know some guys use them over and over with success, but I switched out slip-ons on my 05 from HD to Pythons and re-used the old torca clamps; I could not get them tight enough and had a leak, until I put new ones on. Just a thought?

Old 03-27-2010 | 07:35 PM
TheBagger
Road Master

I did the Stage 1 download on my '00 with a SE A/C and Samson mufflers and still had lots of decel pop and the mufflers turned color on me . Decided to go with a Power Commander from Fuel Moto and put on some Rush mufflers and now I get hardly any decel pop and after 7k my pipes are not turning color.

That Stage 1 lets most bikes run too lean for sure. That's why the decel pop and pipes getting burnt. Get a PC from Fuel Moto and be done with that crap!

Old 03-28-2010 | 06:46 AM
Baggrmark
|
Cruiser

OK,I think I got the leak around the slip-ons taken care of.I moved the clamps a little closer to the edgeswhere they meet the head pipes.(The new clamps that came from V&H) Going to ride to Tampa today to see if that helped.I guess I will maybe look into the PC III.Price doesn't seem to bad @ fuel moto,will I have to have it dynoed also if I go with the PCIII.I'm not sure where to go for that,should I go to the dealer for dyno or find an Indy?I think there's a custom builder close by me in Mineola,Florida not sure if he has a dyno.Anyone know of a place to get a dyno tune in the central Florida area?Will I have to have the bikes ECM set back to factory before I can do anything else or does the new programmer take care of this? Thanks to all
Mark

Old 03-28-2010 | 07:11 AM
paguy
Road Captain

From all the posts I've read in this forum most people plug ang play the tuners from Fuelmoto. When you call them give FM the exact on your slipons and air cleaner. Fm takes responsibility for tuner set up.

Old 03-28-2010 | 07:22 AM
StonerGlide
Road Master

Mark, listen to Mr. Wiz, he helped me with the V&H Dresser duals and SEST install and tune. Got rid of the decel pop and it hasn't come back! Others are making some solid suggestions as well, all good things to check out.
As Wiz and I ride together I am sure he would tell me if the pop was back (if he can get close enough to hear it )

Old 03-28-2010 | 07:25 AM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

Originally Posted by Baggrmark
OK,I think I got the leak around the slip-ons taken care of.I moved the clamps a little closer to the edgeswhere they meet the head pipes.(The new clamps that came from V&H) Going to ride to Tampa today to see if that helped.I guess I will maybe look into the PC III.Price doesn't seem to bad @ fuel moto,will I have to have it dynoed also if I go with the PCIII.I'm not sure where to go for that,should I go to the dealer for dyno or find an Indy?I think there's a custom builder close by me in Mineola,Florida not sure if he has a dyno.Anyone know of a place to get a dyno tune in the central Florida area?Will I have to have the bikes ECM set back to factory before I can do anything else or does the new programmer take care of this? Thanks to all
Mark
Mark

Contact DOC . He is outside and just NE of Orlando. If you want the best that is. He too is in Minneola and may be who you speak of. If you are going to spend the price of a new PCIII then ask Doc about a TTS. No need to play with your ECM or send it to HD.. you'll be OK. Tell Doc Wizard said hello.

Old 03-28-2010 | 07:27 AM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

Originally Posted by StonerGlide
Mark, listen to Mr. Wiz, he helped me with the V&H Dresser duals and SEST install and tune. Got rid of the decel pop and it hasn't come back! Others are making some solid suggestions as well, all good things to check out.
As Wiz and I ride together I am sure he would tell me if the pop was back (if he can get close enough to hear it )
Morning Stoner. You know I like to ride sweep and the only place I can't pass your **** is in the twisties you big lug.

Quick Reply: Decel Popping