Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not to appear totally stupid but

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 12:06 AM
Drifting Texas
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not to appear totally stupid but

I am still getting myself familiar with my new 07 Ultra. I was in the garage making sure the tour pak was set all the way back when I decided to turn on the ignition and check out what lighting comes on in the back. That's when I realized I have no tail light. I see where the tail lights acts as a license plate light as well as a tail light so I took off the tail light cover. The bulb is a double filament bulb and looks to be new. The filaments are not broken and all appears to be good. The brake light works but not the running lights. I’ve own 6 motorcycles in my life with this being my first Harley but I’ve never seen a motorcycle without some kind of running light.

Do any of the lights on the tour pak act as running lights or just brake lights? I assume this is not a fuse since the brake light works. Something is fishy. Just what lights should be on as running lights?

Also my salesman told me the tour pak moves back 2 inches and while checking that out I realized he lied. There is only 1 inch in adjustment with the 07 tour pak. I'm beginning to think my dealer isn't all that great. So far I've had the Ultra for 1 week, have a fubar radio and now it looks like a lighting problem. With as much as I paid for this Ultra I expected the dealer to a little better job of going over this motorcycle.

Old 08-04-2006, 12:11 AM
jfanton
Road Captain
Default RE: Not to appear totally stupid but

Yes, with ignition on (not acc position) you should have a tail light. I wouldn't even mess with it, bring it back asap.

Old 08-04-2006, 12:26 AM
Steele
Cruiser

Don't mess with it, return it back to the dealership. And ask them if they missed something that obvious during the pre delivery inspection what else they might of missed.

Old 08-04-2006, 12:26 AM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,005 Likes on 543 Posts

Yes, it does both along with the lights on the rear of the tourpack, the lights on the side of the tourpack are just running lights. Take it back to the dealer if you dont have running lights.

Old 08-04-2006, 12:57 AM
wuznme
Cruiser

also ask for a refund on the setup fee.

Old 08-04-2006, 01:34 AM
BigGeorge
Road Captain

Welcome to the forums and the Harley family. If you should decide to make this site a regular stop you will find there are alot of people here that just dont trust their dealers. Many have had bad experiences some have had absolute nightmares. I agree dont mess with it take it back but also get yourself a service manual. Learn all you can about your bike and come here and ask question. There are alot of good people here every day with tons of knowledge and experience willing to help you out. Good luck with your new bike..................BG

Old 08-04-2006, 01:46 AM
MACK
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

believe me. always check your bike before you leave the dealer after work. most are not very good and just concentrate on getting you down the road. also, the fees they charge for scheduled maintenance is way over the top. Truth be told, they change the fluids and test ride your bike. if all is well and you are doing a 20k mile maintenace they hand you your 4600.00 BILL AND SEND YOU ON YOUR WAY. THEY DONT EVEN CHECK THE TIRES. dONT BELIEVE ME. LOWER ONE OF YOUR TIRES TO SAY 30 LBS. CHECK IT AFTER YOU LEAVE AND I BET YOU STILL HAVE 30 POUNDS. i ALWAYS SPECIFY WHAT I WANT THEM TO DO.

Old 08-04-2006, 03:09 AM
dchoran
Road Warrior

Ditto that delivery experience here for me last year with a new 05 Ultra - multitude of issues from the get go. Fixed the lighting thing myself and put in a Backoff Wig Wag to boot.

And my HIWAY mpg dropped from 45 (stock) to 35 after a PCIII, Stage 1 SE AC, Rush pipes and a custom dealer dyno. Much better performance but at quite a price IMHO.

Dealer says it was my riding style - so I ride like a 100 year old granny for a few tanks and it goes up to 36 mpg. BFD. Gotta cut thru alot of BS with them.

I just don't trust stealerships - cycles or autos - I had a defective front end on a new $37,000 Windstar with five hundred mile on it [:@]

Welcome to the "made in america" world - pay the BIG BUCKS and STILL get lower quality than the imports. Never fails, when will they ever learn to get it right the first time???

They're always out to make a quick buck - you gotta kick their a$$es - like Mick Jagger says "I can't get no satisfaction, no no no".

wig wag: Name:  wigwag_mode01.gif
Views: 28
Size:  158.3 KB

Old 08-04-2006, 07:38 AM
Capt.Bob
Tourer

I don't think you appear stupid. I thought my dealer did a good job on my pre delivery setup until I was showing some friends my new ride and one of them said "crank it up and lets hear it". I did and the cb antenna jumped out of the mount and hit the ground. It was embarasing. It had about 25 miles on at the time. It has 44 on it now and I am not riding it till I go over the whole bike myself.

Old 08-04-2006, 10:29 AM
Varooom
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought my 06 EG in January. Its my first batwing bike. On the way home I thought the windscreen rattled alot but thought maby it was normal. I get home and take a closer look. The three screws that hold the windscreen on to the fairing were only loosly screwed in. I am lucky I didn't get the windscreen in my face on the way home.
My bike is scheduled to go to the dealer next week for the ignition switch upgrade and to replace a broken fairing mount. I am scared to death to let these monkeys touch my bike. I have decided I will show up with a #27 torques when I pick it up. I am goung to take the front fairing off right there at the dealership and inspect there work. If it is all done right I will praise them for a job well done. If its not then defication will make contact with the rotery ocelator (sp).

Im not taken thier crap work anymore, do it right or pay the price.

Doug

Quick Reply: Not to appear totally stupid but