Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I would like to share this heartfelt information with the forum....

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 02:06 AM
DHart
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I would like to share this heartfelt information with the forum....

So many of you know about the loss of my wife's son (my stepson) SGT. Elijah Rao, to an IED in Afghanistan a few months back. This is an update for those who already know about Elijah and an introduction for those who did not know about the loss of this remarkably wonderful, patriotic, generous young man.

After the tragedy of 9/11 and the beheading of Daniel Pearl, Elijah decided that he was called by God and country to join the Army and serve in defense of our freedom and peace. He put his entire life, wife, daughter, family on the shelf to go over to Iraq and Afghanistan so that we here at home might continue to enjoy our relatively safe and secure lives here.

On December 5th, 2009, Elijah was on patrol in Afghanistan, searching out roadside bombs that might harm others, when insurgents triggered a massive IED in a culvert directly beneath where Elijah was standing, sending him immediately into the arms of God. This has changed our lives forever.

A Google search for Elijah Rao will bring up a huge amount of information and news stories about Elijah, but here is a link to the memorial page we have just established in his memory. We invite you to join Elijah's memorial page on Facebook, where you will find many photos of Elijah, his return to Dover, return home, funeral, and interment service.

Don Hauerken | Facebook

We wish to give deeply heartfelt thanks to the very, very many of you who so graciously expressed condolences in the initial thread about Elijah's loss.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...nform-you.html

Peace be with you all and may God Bless our heroic, selfless Armed Services members whose terrible sacrifices are made to protect the rest of us.

The family of Elijah John-Miles Rao

Last edited by DHart; 03-27-2010 at 02:58 AM.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:42 AM
ARTHUNDER09
Cruiser

Sorry for your loss. And thank you to your step son, and the rest who keep us free!

Old 03-27-2010, 04:16 AM
flight
Tourer

Sorry for your loss. That picture of him and his daughter brought tears to my eyes. My prayers go out to you and your family. Joined the Facebook page.

Steve

Old 03-27-2010, 04:34 AM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

So sorry for your loss and thank you for raising a fine young man who was willing to give his life protecting our freedom. I also joined the Facebook page honoring him and all who protect us, Thank You.

Old 03-27-2010, 04:50 AM
tvan1988
Cruiser

Sorry for your loss and our thoughts and prayers are with you. I've spent 22+ years in the Army and deployed to the middle east 4 times. Lost some good friends and experianced a lot of grief. My son has followed my career choice and has been in the Army for five years now. It's one thing for my wife and I to deal with my deployments, but it really hit home when my son was on a 15 month deployment (although I did get to see him every once in a while over there).

Your comments on the pride you and your family feel and the strong commitment of your stepson to the defense of our country made me realize while I still do this job. I have been contemplating retirement from the military and just can't seem to drop my paperwork.

Thank you for sharing this and letting us know about SGT Rao's brave and selfless actions. You and your family are truly great Americans.

Old 03-27-2010, 06:56 AM
miketedesco
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just saw your other post from back in December. I do remember Dec being a very bad month in Afghanistan. I am very sorry for not only your loss, but also his wife and young daughter. I have a ton of respect for our Army and Marines. Their jobs aren't easy, and they sure don't get the credit they deserve for what they do over here.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:19 AM
frozensoul
Road Master

sorry to hear of your loss, from my entire family to yours i would like to thank you for raising such a fine young man, a true hero in all of our eyes for sure. god bless.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:36 AM
bigjames19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

God bless his soul!

Old 03-27-2010, 08:59 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

God bless a true American hero. RIP.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:14 AM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you for sharing the FB link. Your family remains in my prayers.

Quick Reply: I would like to share this heartfelt information with the forum....