Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Air Shocks 0 psi ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 08:08 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,122 Likes on 22,589 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley_RN
Soo.. I'm going through my list of things to do to (and buy) for my Ultra tomorrow and remembered that I have a hand pump from my full suspension mountain bikes front air shocks and suspension, and decide to go and see if it will work on my Ultra rear air shocks. Might save a couple of bucks from having to buy the official HD one. It fits and there is 0 psi from when I bought my 09 Ultra last fall. I only drove it a couple of weeks like that but I wondered WTF ? I paid all that money and they didn't even check that. Along with not having the quick disconnect for the battery tender hooked up so I could charge my battery this past winter. I'm beginning to see what you guys are talking about on this forum to do it yourself.
Now I don't feel so bad that I told my wife to use the $300 that I had saved for the initial 1K checkup and go and buy me a J&S lift for christmas so I can do all my own service.

Christian

Makes you wonder what else they might have missed to huh?

Old 03-27-2010, 08:27 AM
Teardrop
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraClassicElectraGlide
Did you hear any air loss when you first connected the air pump to the valve? The H-D pump has no air loss when connected or disconnected.
I agree, the HD pump is the way to go. loses no air when pumping the rear shocks up. well worth the 40 bucks.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:59 AM
testifer
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine have not leaked a single pound over the winter.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:05 AM
Harley_RN
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Teardrop
I agree, the HD pump is the way to go. loses no air when pumping the rear shocks up. well worth the 40 bucks.
Even thought the one I have is from Trek and made for mountain bike air shocks, (it's not a tire pump) the one I have works perfectly. No air loss either. Just looked up a couple of other shock pumps made for mountain bikes with air shocks and they mostly all advertise "no air loss with secure connection" Several of them are small and compact and cost less. One from Topeak is pocket sized and has an optional case. Not trying to diss the official HD product, but think this one is smaller and would travel better than the bigger HD pump.

http://www.topeak.com/products/Mini-...PocketShockDXG

Christian

Old 03-27-2010, 09:28 AM
sfchief
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Might have been that way when you picked it up. According to my manual, Zero PSI is acceptable for a single rider.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:34 AM
twodollarbill
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the value stems....they may not be in there tight.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:39 AM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I usually put about 20# in them when I ride 2 up and have the tourpak on it for mama. When I remove the tourpak and make it a solo ride for the work week, I drain the the shock to zero.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:41 AM
mphamrick
Road Warrior

Mine did not loose any air pressure eather. With just myself I usualy will run 19 to 20 psi that gives me a nice smooth ride. Now with the Mrs on I have to go up to 28 psi.
I told her once when we were riding that I needed to add more air in the shocks, she slapped me in the back of the head I really don't know why?? LOL

Old 03-27-2010, 09:46 AM
SBJJC
Banned

I had the same issues with my air shocks. I also got tired of the wiggle every now and then when my tires caught the rain grooves in the road. I switched over to the progressive 440s and love them. What a difference. You may want to look into changing out your shocks. Got mine off eBay for 330.00 great deal. Worth every penny.

Oh yeah check your tires…

Old 03-27-2010, 09:54 AM
Harley_RN
Road Captain

Originally Posted by sfchief
Might have been that way when you picked it up. According to my manual, Zero PSI is acceptable for a single rider.

Think you're looking at another table, my manual reads: For a solo rider up to 150 lbs. 5-10 psi. For a solo rider 150-200 lbs 10-20 psi. This is the table for the Ultra Classic with tour pak. For a rider with passenger it recommends 50 psi. I think you're looking at the table for a person that weighs under 150 lbs and no tour pak on the bike. But thanks for the input as I got my manual out and know what psi to put in.

Christian

Quick Reply: Rear Air Shocks 0 psi ?