Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering kit?? The countless options......

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 12:01 PM
pol6320
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Lowering kit?? The countless options......

Hello everyone,
I know that this topic has been raised several times - but, I would like to lower my 07 Road King. I have read several of the previous threads. I would like to lower it as much as I can (5'5" Height) while still having some comfort. I like my bikes low (previous bike was a lowered Fat Bob). I am just not comfortable with my current set-up. I do ride 2-up and our combined total weight is ~280. At the same time I lower the bike, I am going to purchase the reach seat or another lower seat. This modification has been driving me crazy the past couple weeks and to date, I have narrowed it down to the following:

I called Bitchin baggers and they recommend having my shocks modified to 11 1/4. Lower the front 1-2 using Progressive's drop in kit.

Purchase the Progressive 440's HD 11 1/2 inch. Lower the front 1-2 using Progressive's drop in kit.

I also called Lohman Motors and they lower ALL their bikes using a 10 3/4 rear shock that they have custom made. Has anyone used their shocks?? They said it will not bottom out due to the extra travel they place in the shock. But they noted that it only leaves 3/4 of travel. I would also lower the front 1-2 using Progressive's drop in kit if I went this route.

So what do you recommend from the options above?? Or, what have you done to lower your bikes and what WORKED?

Thank you!!

Old 03-26-2010, 12:10 PM
Buzzsaw
Road Captain

I would be careful with the 440 HD shocks if you don't weigh much solo...I had those on my RK and loved them, but I was pushing 230 + solo so I had enough mass for them. When a skinny mechanic would ride my bike he would get bounced around since they wouldn't compress. I would call Progressive and talk to them about what you want they are very helpful and some on here have mentioned the new 940 that is supposed to have more travel on the shorter shock. You might be better with the standard spring and tighten it up when you ride 2 up.

I was running the 440 HD on the lightest setting solo...

Old 03-26-2010, 12:16 PM
pled55
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pol6320
Hello everyone,
I know that this topic has been raised several times - but, I would like to lower my 07 Road King. I have read several of the previous threads. I would like to lower it as much as I can (5'5" Height) while still having some comfort. I like my bikes low (previous bike was a lowered Fat Bob). I am just not comfortable with my current set-up. I do ride 2-up and our combined total weight is ~280. At the same time I lower the bike, I am going to purchase the reach seat or another lower seat. This modification has been driving me crazy the past couple weeks and to date, I have narrowed it down to the following:

I called Bitchin baggers and they recommend having my shocks modified to 11 1/4. Lower the front 1-2 using Progressive's drop in kit.

Purchase the Progressive 440's HD 11 1/2 inch. Lower the front 1-2 using Progressive's drop in kit.

I also called Lohman Motors and they lower ALL their bikes using a 10 3/4 rear shock that they have custom made. Has anyone used their shocks?? They said it will not bottom out due to the extra travel they place in the shock. But they noted that it only leaves 3/4 of travel. I would also lower the front 1-2 using Progressive's drop in kit if I went this route.

So what do you recommend from the options above?? Or, what have you done to lower your bikes and what WORKED?

Thank you!!

lowered mine a couple weeks ago used arnott air ride system 12" alden chrome.
so far works very well .up or down 11.5 raised 9.5 lowered no bottoming i weigh around 250 lbs. have been about 500 mi so far.little expensive and the compresser makes a littlle noise but it does what i was after. a lower ride.and as good if not better than stock
ride safe

Old 03-26-2010, 02:41 PM
ccw03345
Intermediate

I am 5'6" on a good day with a 28" inseam. This is what I have done to my 09 Road King Classic:

Lowered rear end 1" with Progressive 440 12" Shocks
Lowered front end 1" with Progressive Lowering Kit
Installed Corbin "Close Solo Seat" which brought me down nearly an inch and forward about 1.5"
Installed Wild Ones Chubbies 517 which brought the bars up and back
Bought Chipewa Logger Boots with 2" heal

I can now flat foot the bike.

Words of caution:

Any lowering will sacrifice some ride quality. It is a trade-off.
I tried the Progressive 11.5" 440 Shocks and found them unacceptably stiff. I still have them, if you are interested. They have about 500 miles on them.
Not everyone likes Corbin seats. You either love them or hate them. They use close cell foam which is harder than most seats. I think they give better support.

Good luck.

Old 03-26-2010, 03:00 PM
mike carroll
Advanced

I have a RKCustom and i went with bitchin baggers 11" shocks , stock shock were 12". No problem bottoming out.

Old 03-26-2010, 03:19 PM
pol6320
Stage III

Mike Carroll,
Do you ride 2 up? Whats your combined weight with the 11 inch bitchin baggers shocks??

Old 03-27-2010, 10:39 AM
mike carroll
Advanced

combined weight is about 360lbs, 210 for me and 145 0r so on wife, it is a bit more stiffer ride, i'm happy Carroll out.