Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me decide table lift or no

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 09:57 PM
bikerbehaviorist
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me decide table lift or no

Sorry if I am beating a dead horse - maybe I should change my Avatar. Ok the price on the Harbor Freight is making me really want to do this.

Questions:
Which wheel chock will allow me to put my road king and shovel up on this thing by myself.
Do most folks also buy and use a lift/jack to use on the table?
does the removable panel in the back make taking the back wheel off much easier
Using tie downs is the HF table safe enough to keep the bike I am not riding on for storage?

Given the answers to the above questions I will decide if this would winds up becoming a $300+ Albatross in my garage. Thanks in advance

Old 03-25-2010, 10:22 PM
ashmarc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

1. Don't know about a wheel chock (maybe/probably?), but with a wheel vise, you can absolutely DIY.
2. Scissor jack a must!! You got the bike up high, still gotta get the wheels off the deck for certain jobs.
3. Removable rear panel is very convenient to have, definitely aids in rear wheel removal, especially with a FL style rear fender.
4. You can store that thing on there for as long as you want, use safety bar & disconnect air.

Good luck with your decision, I can tell you a table lift is a very nice tool to have, you'll wonder how you lived w/o it.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:30 PM
onadraw
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

I had one. I loved it and I miss it but it just took up too much space in my small garage. I sold mine and used the money to buy a Pitbull Jack. I can do it all on the Pitbull. It is stable and is easier to move out of the way and store.

But, If I had the space, I would definitely get another table lift.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:43 PM
Yachtman
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd love one too, but how often will I use it is 'her' key question. And since I can't get comfortable sleeping on it, I'll let the wife keep the 300!!

Old 03-25-2010, 10:46 PM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Spend a little more and get a better lift. I did and was in Harbor Freight yesterday and was extra glad.

Mark

Old 03-26-2010, 12:25 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

As has been attested to many times here; you don't NEED a lift. A jack is plenty good enough. That said. What shop have you ever been in where they used jacks instead of lift tables????????

Old 03-26-2010, 12:38 AM
Razorback
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The special order 1200 lb Harbor Freight lift is MUCH nicer for the extra $$. Has a drop out for the rear and a better front tire vise.
Yes you can leave it on the lift.
A flat jack can be had for about $60 on ebay.

I have a used Handy lift table. Wouldn't be without anymore. Makes a nice extra work table when the bike's on the floor.

Pic

Old 03-26-2010, 07:25 AM
VETERAN75
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a lift. I use a small scissor jack to get it up if needed. The drop out is nice since you can do everything standing or sitting on a stool rather than bent over. easier on the ole back. I load and unload by myself. The wheel vise will hold the bike in place without having to tie down, and compress the suspension. Depends on how much you are planning to wrench I guess but if your going to use it to store one on, it really won't take up any more room than the bike will. Don't forget the ramp portion comes off.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:11 AM
SCJE8
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

bikerbehaviorist...

Lots of good information on this thread, and I agree with many of the comments! I purchased a very nice Handy Lift this past Fall with all of the accessories. I spent about $2,500.00 for the entire setup...but I refuse to skimp on tools and have the room to store this 'VW sized' piece of equipment. I have a very good Craftsman aluminum jack (the yellow one) and have done plenty of work on my bikes with it...but it gets real old laying on a cold, damp concrete floor while you're doing something to your HD! And at 56 years old...I'm not nearly as 'flexible' as I used to be...just ask my wife!

That having been said...

1. The $$$ spent on the lift directly equates to the quality of the lift...this is true with virtually any tool that you buy. BUT...how many of those 'cheap' tools are responsible for holding your 'pride and joy' and $30K investment 35 inches up in the air? I've been collecting and buying tools for over 30 years and one thing is a constant...you generally get what you pay for...period! I would rather buy an excellent, high quality tool once instead of buying a cheap one twice or three times.

2. The accessories are a must for working on the bike properly! The lift gets the bike in the air, but you need all the other 'goodies' to maximize its purpose! It would be like buying a socket but not buying a rachet to put it on! A wheel chock, drop out panel, scissor jack, side and front end extenders, foot controls...I feel they are all required to maximize the use of the lift.

3. Safety is critical! This is a touchy subject...but it is a 'big deal' when you put an 800+ pound motorcycle almost 3 feet in the air! We have a heart attack when our scooters fall over in the parking lot...multiply that by a 'gazillion' if it fell off the lift when it was fully extended! I have installed 4 very heavy duty tie-down eyelets, and swapped the bolts that were included for Grade 8 hardware 'just to make me feel better!' I want to be 'safe instead of sorry!'

Any way...a lift is a great tool to have if used properly and you have the room to stash it when not in use. I told my wife that 'it changed my life' when I'm playing with my Harley. I can set my HD up on the lift and work on it for hours without the issues or problems associated with using a standard floor jack. Don't get me wrong, I still use my jack...but when it's oil change time or major cleaning time...I slide over the lift and set it up.

I wish you luck buddy...ride safe!

Steve

Old 03-26-2010, 08:23 AM
ican
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the sears mc jack, and also have a Snap-On motorcycle lift with a wheel vise. It has the removable rear section that makes removing the rear tire easier. I also made a portable scissor jack by modifying a car scissor jack. It is compact and can be carried on trips. A few things to consider, how often would you use it? Do you have the space? Is money and issue? The low buck solution is the modified car scissor jack. Cost me nothing but some welding time. It will pick up the front or back but not both at the same time. The base is wide enough that the bike is stable. I'm working on another version that is a 3 piece unit that can be taken apart and stored in a saddle bag. Don

Quick Reply: Help me decide table lift or no