Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me decide table lift or no

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 08:46 AM
bikerbehaviorist
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ONEDOWNAND5UP
Spend a little more and get a better lift. I did and was in Harbor Freight yesterday and was extra glad.

Mark
Which one did you get? I was looking at complete hydraulics package deal. That is quite a bit more money with shipping - 1K

Old 03-26-2010, 08:55 AM
ashmarc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerbehaviorist
Which one did you get? I was looking at complete hydraulics package deal. That is quite a bit more money with shipping - 1K
Ask anyone, the Handy Industries table lift is the best on the market, bar none.

Understandable if you do not want to spend that kind of money.

That being said.....you just posted possibly spending upwards to $1000.00.

You need to do some research, there are several brand name lifts in the $600.00-$800.00 range that are of a much better quality than a Harbor Freight lift.

Ultimately it's up to you. I for one would be pretty pissed if I spent a grand on a lift & accessories only to find out it was a POS.....they're not exactly easy to return.

My .02

Old 03-26-2010, 11:10 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ashmarc
1. Don't know about a wheel chock (maybe/probably?), but with a wheel vise, you can absolutely DIY.
2. Scissor jack a must!! You got the bike up high, still gotta get the wheels off the deck for certain jobs.
3. Removable rear panel is very convenient to have, definitely aids in rear wheel removal, especially with a FL style rear fender.
4. You can store that thing on there for as long as you want, use safety bar & disconnect air.

Good luck with your decision, I can tell you a table lift is a very nice tool to have, you'll wonder how you lived w/o it.
A table is a blessing making working on bikes a true pleasure.Tie downs are a must with a vise.Bikes have fallen off tables in a vise because air comes out of tires.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:41 AM
brunosrk
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As I mentioned in my post yesterday, I just bought a TCMLW. It's the same unit that Complete Hydraulics sells. I got mine from Complete Equipment Maintenance in Monroe, WA. Being able to pick it up and avoid shipping costs was a big plus. I intend on keeping my J&S jack, but thought it was time to add a table lift. There are things that having a table will just make a lot easier. Besides, I'm getting too damn old, I need to minimize the "hunching over" time.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:56 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I think lift tables are a pain.If you want to clean wheels or check tires there is extra work involved.Get a good jack very easy to do everything on and high enough.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:15 PM
faapilot
Cruiser

J&S Jack the way to go...check out their website.
Had the same decsion some weeks ago and did my research through here and other sites; finally decided J&S and glad I did. Very stable platform, can be stored out of the way when not in use and you don't have to tie the bike down while working on it. Read a post here last week about some poor fella who had his bike fall off of a jack because he had loosened the tiedowns....OUCH.
J&S needs no tie downs, made in USA and the only way to go for me...
Costs a little $$$ but so did your scooter; your choice.

Ride safe...

Old 03-26-2010, 01:18 PM
brunosrk
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FastHoss
I think lift tables are a pain.If you want to clean wheels or check tires there is extra work involved.Get a good jack very easy to do everything on and high enough.
Jacks are high enough, if you're rolling around on a stool or a real short guy!

Old 03-26-2010, 01:58 PM
Raaze07
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by onadraw
I had one. I loved it and I miss it but it just took up too much space in my small garage. I sold mine and used the money to buy a Pitbull Jack. I can do it all on the Pitbull. It is stable and is easier to move out of the way and store.

But, If I had the space, I would definitely get another table lift.
I have to agree. I had a Ranger lift table and wasn't using it as much as I had anticipated. I was thinking I could use it for simple maintenance tasks, cleaning the bike/wheels, etc., but it was a pain because I had to use the jack to lift the rear wheel and it was still difficult to get to for cleaning, and the front wheel chock made it difficult to get to the front wheel. Oil changes were a breeze, but I wasn't really using it for anything else and it took up too much space in my garage.

I picked up a Pitbull lift at the bike show 6 weeks back and just sold my table, I may get another down the road but I just didn't see the need for both right now, and the Pitbull meets my needs for general maintenance and cleaning better than the table. Just my $.02

Old 03-26-2010, 04:34 PM
scooter_trash_1
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lift tables

I personally own a Handy, bought it used. I wouldnt be without it. Also have a flat jack that is a must as well. I dont use a vice on the front, made my own cradle which holds the front end quite steady, and makes jacking it up a breeze (simply play out the tie downs, yes I use tie downs for long term or when jacking the front up). As for taking up space, park the scooter on it! When the garage door goes up the scoot goes on the lift. I'm gonna wipe it down an look it over before the next ride anyway might as well be already on the "inspection stand". Ive been riding motorcycles for 42 years and the table lift I "splurged on" 12 years ago is the best investment Ive ever made for my scoots..SSL...Scooter

Old 03-27-2010, 04:53 AM
street53glide
Novice

I just bought the Harbor Freight 1200 pound table. If you have a store any where near you, you can pick it up. I had a 20% coupon and with tax it was $406. I wonder why I didn't do it years ago! Just something simple like changing the horn. Didn't have to get on my hands and knees to see the wires underneath. Love it!!

Quick Reply: Help me decide table lift or no