Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you pack a bike with two sleeping bags, a tent, two pads, and all the other st

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 10:45 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 255 Likes on 155 Posts

I've seen guys make a low cost trailer with a small utility trailer like HF sells & added a cartop carrier to pack the stuff in, just an idea.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:50 PM
ken b
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheShrink
WOW, that thing is one of those cheep harbor frieght trailers and a cargo carrier on top with a basket put on the tounge, I can build that for alllot less than he sells it all for. But good on him for putting all together in a package that folks can buy from him.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:02 PM
Yachtman
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

You could ship it!! Man it's late.......

Old 03-25-2010, 11:05 PM
D2R
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck trying to get my wife to sleep on the ground.Took my youngest son on 2 week long rides.I had a tour pack on my RKC.A good 2 man pack tent weighs 5 1/2 lbs and rolls up to about 6'' in dia.,2 summer weight sleeping bags 2 1/2 lbs. ea.Had room for a twin sized air mattress,5 days worth of clothes each.rain and cold weather gear,tools.Got along quite comfortably and safely.Don't know if you're planning on loading mess kits and a gas stove if so a trailer's probably in the picture.One of the most enjoyable parts of the trip for me's finding the local favorite diner at night after a good ride.Don't eat much during the day just drink a lot of water.

Last edited by D2R; 03-25-2010 at 11:16 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:58 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Backpackers gear. Its smaller lighter packs down MUCH smaller.

Ive camped 2 up several times on a Road King, its not hard. A good 2 man tent that you can get aluminum poles for, they are lighter and have shorter sections than the fiberglass poles. Thinner bags that can be rolled up tighter, 3/4 length self inflaters instead of full length. And DONT use bungee cords, use nylon web straps, they stay tighter and dont let the load move around.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:28 AM
Watch Guy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default It's easy with these big bikes

My girlfriend and I traveled for 10 days with an '82 Virago and camped every night. If we could do it with that tiny bike then any HD touring bike would be a snap. Just forget the laptop and expresso machine and all the extra crap you really don't need.

Old 03-26-2010, 03:49 AM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

I don't own these so I can't comment on them.

http://www.ridetek.com/

Old 03-26-2010, 04:36 AM
hardwork2
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Get yourself a bushtec or similar trailer then you can safely haul any amounjt of camping gear you and your wife will need. My turbo+2 has 25 cubic feet of room.

Old 03-26-2010, 04:53 AM
Gofer
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an EGC so I got the tourpak to play with, but I don't see why you can't do it. I have done it with the wife. Still have my USMC 2man combat tent the Corps lost. One sleeping bag (that will lay unzipped/flat) with two blankets (that roll up tighter then an additional bag). One of those Kermit chairs so many of you didn't think was worth the price. We each took a saddlebag for personal chit. It works, and it's enjoyable. So easy to get overboard in a car and pack SOOOOO much crap and then get back to basics on a bike.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:40 AM
TheShrink
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ken b
WOW, that thing is one of those cheep harbor frieght trailers and a cargo carrier on top with a basket put on the tounge, I can build that for alllot less than he sells it all for. But good on him for putting all together in a package that folks can buy from him.
Nope, not a HF trailer. It's an all steel welded square tube frame too.

Quick Reply: How do you pack a bike with two sleeping bags, a tent, two pads, and all the other st